Review with pix: Seidio Innocase II case, Seidio Rugged case & Best Buy Platinum case

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I ordered the "Seidio Innocase Rugged Combo Value Pack" which includes:
  • Innocase II Surface
  • Innocase II Surface Holster
  • Rugged Skin and Skeleton
  • Rugged Holster
  • Ultimate Screen Guard
The Surface case is a thin shell designed to protect against normal bumps, dings, and small drops. The inside has a felt-like lining to protect the phone's exterior. The outside of the shell has a soft matte coating to provide a comfortable feel and a good grip. The case is held in the holster by a spring clip that I found easy to unlatch with my middle finger while keeping a firm grip on the phone with the other fingers to lift it out of the holster in a smooth motion. The belt clip is permanently attached to the holster and has a hook on the end to keep it from slipping off your belt. The USB port is accessible while the phone and case are in the holster so you can charge the phone while it stays in the holster. While in the case, the power button is easy to reach from behind but is a bit tougher to reach from the front because of the raised edge of the case. I wish this edge had been thinned out a bit to make it easier to press from the front, but this thickness may have been necessary to provide adequate strength along the top edge.

The Rugged Skin is a black silicone covering that fits over the Surface case and covers the entire phone except for the screen, kickstand, and a few small openings for the mics, etc. The Rugged Skeleton is a plastic spine that fits on easlily over the Rugged Skin and provides extra protection for the corners and back of the phone. The volume rocker and power button are fully covered by the Skin but are still easy to manipulate. The power button is actually easier to press but the silicone button is wider and taller than the phone's power button. The USB port and headphone jack are protected by silicone flaps that can be folded back when you need to access those. The camera lens and flash are protected by a large silicone flap that can be folded back and held in place by snapping the nub on the flap into a hole in the Skeleton.

The Rugged Holster is very similar to the Surface Holster. It's larger to accommodate the phone with case, skin, and skeleton in place. The spring clip has a locking mechanism that can be used if desired to prevent the clip from releasing accidentally. The belt clip is permanently attached to the holster and has a hook on the end to keep it from slipping off your belt. The clip can fit around a much wider and thicker belt than the Surface holster's belt clip -- up to 2" wide per Seidio.

The kickstand still works normally in vertical and horizontal positions with just the Surface case or with the Rugged add-ons. When the phone is wrapped in the case, skin, skeleton, and holster, the only exposed part is the kickstand and the little hole beneath it. Below there is a picture showing it next to the Surface case and holster to give you an idea of the difference in size. It makes for a hefty package but that's what's needed to get a high level of protection for outdoor activities.

I can't comment on the Ultimate Screen Guard because I haven't tried it and likely never will. It just came with the combo.

There has been curiosity about whether the Platinum case sold by Best Buy is the same thing as the Surface case. Looking at the bottom of the Platinum box reveals that it is indeed made by Seidio. So I did a side-by-side comparison which is shown in the pictures below. The only discernible difference between the two are in the cosmetic branding. The materials and quality of workmanship appear identical to me. The Platinum case fits in the Surface holster the same as the Surface case does (photo proof below). All dimensions are identical as close as my eye can tell. I see no reason to choose one over the other except for cost and convenience of purchasing.

All in all, this gear is well built and I'm looking forward to giving it a heavy workout, particularly during my next hiking and camping trip since my ThunderBolt can travel first class and will no longer have to hide out in the safe but inconvenient confines of my backpack.

Photos:
  • Surface case back (left) next to Platinum case back (right)
  • Surface case front (left) next to Platinum case front (right)
  • Surface holster back (left) next to Platinum holster back (right)
  • Surface holster front (left) next to Platinum holster front (right)
  • Rugged case and holster back (left) next to Platinum case in Surface holster back (right)
  • Rugged case and holster front (left) next to Platinum case in Surface holster front (right)

Last edited:

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Very good review.

I bought the Surface II (blue) last week, but not the holster - at the time I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the phone.

Yesterday I received my:
- Seidio double charger (extra Battery & phone)
- Rugged add-on case & holster (fits over the Surface II)
- Surface II holster

The charger seems very cheap. It charged my spare battery OK yesterday, But the LED light stayed Green even after I took out the battery and even after I unplugged it from the wall with no battery in it. So there was no way of telling if Bump charging is doable with this charger if the light stays green.

The Rugged add-on case, I really like the silicone coverings over the buttons, they actually make those buttons work BETTER! The power button is easier to turn on and off, the volume rocker is less susceptive to accidental changes in volume from bumping - which is a GREAT thing, the control is still very easy to use. I also like the locking spring clip on this holster, it's a great idea to keep the phone from popping out during outdoor activities.

I also like the (coming soon) colored ACTIVE X cases, I don't need one - but they just look cool, so I will probably get one of those too.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have used the Seidio double charger for a couple years now with Blackberries before I converted to the TB. The charger has been dependable and the LED does stay green even after removing a battery...just something it does. I plan on getting the correct tray to change mine to TB batteries.

You can not bump charge with this. If you try to insert a charged battery it will just stay green, however, this charger will fully charge the battery and it will not start to drain as it would in the phone. I used to leave my BB batteries in for up to 12 hours and they would perform much better than if I charged them in the phone.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I second the comment about lack of bump charging when using an external charger....very reliable.

I can't find the Platinum branded cases at my BB, though.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc