HTC DLNA Media Link Adapter with HDMI out?

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone with a ThunderBolt have the HTC Media Link DLNA Adapter?

It looks like it let's you view movies from your phone on your TV through an HDMI output cable.
Does it work well with most of your videos and pictures? Are there any popular video formats that it doesn't support?

I was looking for a portable DLNA receiver with an HDMI output, and this fits that need.
It's a little pricey, though. For $150 I could get a 3D Blueray player with DLNA support...
Like all of the cool accessories, this one is also out of stock.

HTC Media Link DLNA Adapter DG H100

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
They haven't been released yet (not for sale anywhere; at least not anywhere that's legit). That review was with a pre-production model, I believe.

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I finally caved in and ordered the HTC Media Link. It's been available for several weeks. Should get it in the middle of the week.
I was hoping to find a cheaper media solution, but I'll give this a try.
I like how portable this looks.
I wanted something that I could take over my brother's house to watch RayWilliamJohnson and FreddieW videos with my brother and his wife on their TV.
They like Tosh2.0, so I'm sure that they'll like Ray.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
where did you buy it from? How much?

Can it only stream media stored on the phone? What about video apps? Like Dish's sling or eventually Netflix?

ejrod84

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I've curious about how the media link works on HTC phones. Will it connect and play through any dlna compatible device or just the HTC media link device?

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Can it only stream media stored on the phone? What about video apps? Like Dish's sling or eventually Netflix?

I only tried for a few one night and didn't have any luck with streaming media. I'd love a solution to this.

I've curious about how the media link works on HTC phones. Will it connect and play through any dlna compatible device or just the HTC media link device?

Any. I use it with me PS3 with the Twonky app. It's far from perfect though as it seems to work when it wants to some extent, or you keep trying until it does.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
so if i buy a new blu-ray player with dlna built in it should work fine with that?

Or a DLNA TV, yes should, but I assume some are better than others depending on codec support. That would affect what formats you can actually stream. I'm no expert though, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :)

Last edited:

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Ordered it from HTCPedia. (link is in the first post at top.)
Price was $150. Pretty steep price, but I wanted something pocket sized for showing movies on a TV.

Just got delivered, so I'll try it out after work. I know that it is supposed to play downloaded, shot, or copied video files, and music and image files too.
For streaming, I think that there might be some apps on the market that will help specific sites stream to DLNA, but I'll need to try it out and see if it works with this box.

It's really tiny. It's approximately 2 3/4" x 1 3/4" x 1/4"

Came with a micro USB cable for power and configuring the device via a computer.
Also came with an HDMI cable and a European wall plug with USB output.

Reactions: Accrete and SoDev

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Tried it out.
Easy to setup out of the box.
Just plugged in the HDMI cable and the USB power cord, turned on the power waited for it to boot, turned on my phone's wi-fi, selected the HTC Media Link connection, put in the default password, opened the Connected Media app on the phone, and I was playing movies on my TV.
I had fun playing around.with it. :)

I liked that you can skip to the middle of a movie or song by dragging the progress indicator.
I liked that going back to different menus or apps didn't stop playback of what was being played.
I liked that all the playback options for music were still able to be used on music, like playlist, artist, album, song, shuffle, and repeat.
The user interface on the phone is pretty easy to use.
The picture quality on photos and high res movies was pretty good looking on the TV.

Played movies, songs and photos I had on my phone with only a few hiccups.
(Though I only have movies shot on the phone or downloaded from YouTube via TubeMate.)

Videos can only be queued one at a time. There isn't a video playlist.
When playing music, the beginning of the song has the volume blasting high for a few second then decreases.
Photos sometimes didn't load when I skipped around using the next and prev button.
When opening a specific photo, the playback is automatically a slideshow, and must be manually paused to stay on a picture.

I don't think you'll be able to use it with streaming content.
Turning on the WiFi connection caused my 4G to turn off.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1