So, I bought a car mount from my local favorite VZW store yesterday. It is similar to the one I linked to below.

The problem I have found with the one I purchased is that in order to charge it, I have to close the bottom feet and since that just seem safe enough for me, I have to then rotate the phone to landscape mode. Reason being is the side clamps cover up the battery port.

I was wondering if anyone has purchased the car mount below from AC and if so, does it have this same issue or are the side clamps up farther so they don't block access to the battery plug?
    http://store.androidcentral.com/arko...r/3A78A574.htm

On a related subject, I also saw the below 2 car mounts.... Does anyone have either of these and if so, does the mount work if you have a case on your Thunderbolt?
    http://store.androidcentral.com/igri.../3A78A8282.htm

Set Your Location

Thanks much!
    04-29-2011 06:01 PM
    I have a generic one from VZW too and I have to rotate the phone. I HATE having the phone in landscape mode in the car. Not only that, but because of the way the clamping part mounts to the mounting arm part, when you turn it to landscape mode the clamping part is susceptible to separating from the mounting arm. I know this to be true because mine fell one day and I was like "WTF?" Anyway, I'm still looking for good mounts too. It's frustrating!
    04-29-2011 07:02 PM
    I just popped the iGrip in my car. Will have a review up next week, and I'll be sure to try a couple cases with it.
    04-29-2011 08:06 PM
    I was one of the lucky winners of the iGrip from AC! It just showed up today, and the thing feels SOLID. Nice big bulky mount, and I mean that in a good way. I just put my Tbolt into it, and I really don't think a case would fit in there too. It's a pretty snug fit. What's cool, as you probably know, is it connects to the micro-USB port on the phone, so you can run a car charger right into the mount itself. Hope this helps.
    05-01-2011 10:51 PM
    I was one of the lucky winners of the iGrip from AC! It just showed up today, and the thing feels SOLID. Nice big bulky mount, and I mean that in a good way. I just put my Tbolt into it, and I really don't think a case would fit in there too. It's a pretty snug fit. What's cool, as you probably know, is it connects to the micro-USB port on the phone, so you can run a car charger right into the mount itself. Hope this helps.
    Does it vibrate with the phone in the dock? I've heard that the Verizon mount is made by iGrip so I'd be surprised if it doesn't vibrate.
    05-01-2011 11:20 PM
    I just popped the iGrip in my car. Will have a review up next week, and I'll be sure to try a couple cases with it.
    Won't work with the Seido Innocase, which kind of sucks since I bought the case first and cardock a few weeks later
    05-02-2011 01:30 AM
    I have the car dock from the AC store and I love it!!

The phone fits in to the dock perfectly and charges wen you connect a micro USB charger to the rear of the unit. It also turns on the car dock mode as well.

it is very secure and I use it in the landscape mode but it could easily be used in the portrait mode as well, I am sure. I will test it tomorrow and let you know if it doesn't.

This will not work with a case installed, maybe with a invisishield full body protection, but even that might be to tight.

If you have any questions about the iGrip Car mount, just ask away

So, I bought a car mount from my local favorite VZW store yesterday. It is similar to the one I linked to below.

The problem I have found with the one I purchased is that in order to charge it, I have to close the bottom feet and since that just seem safe enough for me, I have to then rotate the phone to landscape mode. Reason being is the side clamps cover up the battery port.

I was wondering if anyone has purchased the car mount below from AC and if so, does it have this same issue or are the side clamps up farther so they don't block access to the battery plug?
    http://store.androidcentral.com/arko...r/3A78A574.htm

On a related subject, I also saw the below 2 car mounts.... Does anyone have either of these and if so, does the mount work if you have a case on your Thunderbolt?
    http://store.androidcentral.com/igri.../3A78A8282.htm

Set Your Location

Thanks much!
    05-02-2011 10:37 PM
    Does it vibrate with the phone in the dock? I've heard that the Verizon mount is made by iGrip so I'd be surprised if it doesn't vibrate.
    As far as I can tell the iGrip and VZW car dock is one and the same. I have had the Verizon branded since TBolt release and except for the case issue I really like it. Very sturdy and no vibration. Friend just got the iGrip and they are pretty much identical.
    05-02-2011 10:46 PM
    I have the AC Store Arcon that I use with a DInc and a 3500 battery - works great, USB is clear for charging while in the dock. The lower volume button is a bit covered by the grip but it does not get pushed in and I use a Hands Free kit so the volume is controlled by the BT interface.

The cradle is rock solid. I travel on a LOT of dirt roads every day and I have had no issues at all.

Hope this helps.
    05-02-2011 10:55 PM
    As far as I can tell the iGrip and VZW car dock is one and the same. I have had the Verizon branded since TBolt release and except for the case issue I really like it. Very sturdy and no vibration. Friend just got the iGrip and they are pretty much identical.
    No vibration at all? My dock and many others vibrates like crazy when the phone is docked. Do you have it resting against your dashboard a bit or something? Maybe the suspension on my car is a bit rougher. I have no idea why yours would not vibrate while mine is a vibrating machine. I swear if a girl... eeeerrr nevermind.
    05-02-2011 11:14 PM
    I bought the VZW car dock and I'm ready to sell it.
    Rare is the occasion I have the stock battery on it and/or have it naked.

I am looking for a generic replacement...I don't want to have to get skinny OR strip mine down nude just to use the dock.

(I used to think the factory car dock mode was the bomb until I rooted/ROM'd it and use Google's Car dock now. WAAAYYY better.)
    05-03-2011 06:44 AM
    I'm tempted to sell mine as well. While i like the dock and have no objections to it, i just don't like how if i'm to use it the phone needs to be naked.
    05-03-2011 09:53 AM
    Im wondering if there is a car mount that does allow for a case to work with it?

I just purchased the Active case from Seidio and i think that it looks a bit thick and not to mention its for an extended battery.

I need to know from anyones experience or hearing it from someone else. Which car mount will allow a fat case with extended battery. I don't care is its SNUG as long as it actually goes in.

Thanks
    05-28-2011 12:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD