I bought an iGrip car mount for the TB today, tried to make it work, then had to return it. The other iGrip universal mount would have been the same.

There is no way to have an unrestricted view from the camera. No matter how much you twist and turn, mount it on the window or dash, upside down or even slightly crooked, some part of the mount is in the field of view of the camera.

Apparently car mounts are only designed with navigation in mind. Anybody wanting to take ride videos or do timelapse is out of luck.

Are there any mounts that allow unrestricted camera operation?
    06-21-2011 09:52 PM
    I bought an iGrip car mount for the TB today, tried to make it work, then had to return it. The other iGrip universal mount would have been the same.

There is no way to have an unrestricted view from the camera. No matter how much you twist and turn, mount it on the window or dash, upside down or even slightly crooked, some part of the mount is in the field of view of the camera.

Apparently car mounts are only designed with navigation in mind. Anybody wanting to take ride videos or do timelapse is out of luck.

Are there any mounts that allow unrestricted camera operation?
    Do you have a case on your phone? Unless I'm mistaken, the OEM mount does not obstruct the camera but it only works with a "naked" phone. The OEM mount is made by iGrip for what it's worth.

Based on your post, I'm assuming that you have a case?
    06-21-2011 10:50 PM
    Right, the iGrip only works with a naked phone. I do have a case, but I had resigned myself to taking my phone out of the case so that it would fit in the mount.

The problem is that the actual mount, in particular either the window sucker or the tightening know depending on how you twist the whole mount is in the field of view of the camera. So video or a timelapse would have a black knob on the right side of the image. There was nothing I could do to prevent that.

I'm going to look into vent mounts that basically stand straight up with the phone at the top so that nothing gets in the way of the image out the window. It has to be tall enough to clear the wiper blades of course.
    06-21-2011 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD