So I made the plunge and bought myself a Thunderbolt. I have a few questions.

How do i get my Gmail to sync with the contacts on my phonebook. When I look in my gmail, I see the contacts tab but only one email address. I have all my contacts on the phone from using verizon back up manager. I exported all the numbers and I can add to gmail manually if need be, but will that cause doubles in my phone book?

Also if I hard reset my phone to factory conditions, and dont activate my verizon back up manager, will i be able to get the contacts onto my phone from Gmail (assuming I manually input them into gmail using the CSV file I got from verizon)

EDIT: do you make a nanodroid back up after you root or can you do it before?
    07-05-2011 08:22 PM

How do i get my Gmail to sync with the contacts on my phonebook. When I look in my gmail, I see the contacts tab but only one email address. I have all my contacts on the phone from using verizon back up manager. I exported all the numbers and I can add to gmail manually if need be, but will that cause doubles in my phone book?

Also if I hard reset my phone to factory conditions, and dont activate my verizon back up manager, will i be able to get the contacts onto my phone from Gmail (assuming I manually input them into gmail using the CSV file I got from verizon)

i cant properly answer the gmail issues you are having as mine has synced without problems
    every time i need it to.

i wanted to say yes and yes! you can never have to many nandroid backups.
    07-05-2011 09:04 PM

On your phone, Go to.. Menu.. Settings.. Accounts & Sync.. Turn off the contact sync for the gmail account you plan on using for your contacts.
    On your Computer, Import the csv file into the Gmail account like you said... after delete all the contacts from your phone. Open Contacts.. Menu.. View.. will show you what accounts are holding which contacts. From Contacts.. Menu.. Edit.. Delete.. Delete All.
    Go back to Accounts & Sync on your phone and turn back on the sync for contacts... All your Google contacts will sync from the computer to the phone.

Nandroids are done after you are rooted and installed ClockworkMod Recovery... from ROM Manager. This guide explains it all: http://forum.androidcentral.com/thun...underbolt.html
    07-05-2011 10:56 PM
    Thanks! but will backup assistant sync back the contacts i deleted off my phone from the internet, or will it delete all the numbers online since they no longer are stored on my phone?
    07-05-2011 11:54 PM
    Thanks! but will backup assistant sync back the contacts i deleted off my phone from the internet, or will it delete all the numbers online since they no longer are stored on my phone?
    No, they will not be deleted. They should still be in your Verizon Account Manager... which just reminded me, thanks. This is why I hate Backup Assistant. There's no real way of deleting it from your phone unless you do a factory reset and skip the setup process to turn it on. (Or if you're rooted)
    There is a work around without having to go through all of that.

Go into ....Settings.. Applications.. Manage Applications.. All.. & scroll down to Verizon's Backup Assistant App.. Clear the data and cache. This will stop the program from running on your phone. If you ever try to open the app again, you will be back to the setup screen for it... Don't activate it ever again or you'll be back to where you started. You can also go into your Verizon Manager on your computer and delete all of the contacts out of there.
    Just make sure you exported them as a csv file before you go deleting everything.
    07-06-2011 08:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD