[FAQ] Should I Root My Thunderbolt?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
First off, no, ROMs for one device will not work with another. The amount of dev support depends heavily on the popularity of a device, and even more so whether a particular device can be rooted and the bootloader unlocked.

A good place to see what's going on development-wise with a device are the android development sub-forums over at XDA
Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers

Also, hard to say what the next big device will be, but HTC has said they will no longer lock bootloaders on future devices, which is very good news for those of us who like the brand.

Mightn't VZW force HTC to lock bootloader. Aren't they behind the decision to block bootloader in stock gingerbread update?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Mightn't VZW force HTC to lock bootloader. Aren't they behind the decision to block bootloader in stock gingerbread update?

Not exactly...

The Thunderbolt's bootloader is already locked. Some very talented and dedicated individuals found an exploit that can be used to gain a temporary root...which can then be used to unlock the bootloader and provide permanent root. (All of this is done during the rooting process).

The Gingerbread update doesn't actually lock the bootloader, but it does fix the exploit that currently allows the bootloader to be unlocked using the common root methods. This is actually good practice by HTC -- even though most of us use this exploit to "improve" our own device, it's still an exploit none the less that could potentially be used maliciously.

So the warning is that if you haven't already rooted and you do install the GB update, you won't be to gain root using any of the currently known methods, and you'll be stuck with an un-rootable phone unless a new method is discovered. And, of course, if you've already unlocked your bootloader you won't be installing any "official" updates anyway...

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure if VZW has their way, the bootloaders will remain locked, but HTC has publicly said that they will no longer lock bootloaders on future phones. I guess we'll see how that all works out...either way, that really has nothing to do with the GB update breaking the current rooting methods.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
great guide, i do not see why this is not pinned.

Totally agree... this should be required reading for anyone considering rooting their phone... AND Android Central even tweeted about this thread!!!

But I guess we have to keep bumping this thread up every day or so to keep it on the first page.

sscinokc

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Great post. I have an additional question though.

I just had to "unroot" to exchange my phone under warranty for Front Facing Camera issues. (long story...but simply put, the FFC doesn't work)

With the new "refurbished" phone, which will have the latest software on it, will it be possible to use the autoroot method? Or do I need to use the manual method...which I have never attempted. I will say...after only 12 hours...I really miss my rooted phone!

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

I just had to "unroot" to exchange my phone under warranty for Front Facing Camera issues. (long story...but simply put, the FFC doesn't work)

With the new "refurbished" phone, which will have the latest software on it, will it be possible to use the autoroot method? Or do I need to use the manual method...which I have never attempted. I will say...after only 12 hours...I really miss my rooted phone!

The autoroot should work, you'll just have to reflash the MR2 radio.

Reactions: sscinokc

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

It will work...but be glad you did this now, since you won't be able to once phones start shipping with Gingerbread.

Reactions: sscinokc

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I like all of my phone functions including camera, ffc, bt, etc. Of all the roms will any of them allow all these features to work as well as stock?

If additional steps are needed to activate these functions with a particular rom please explain.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I like all of my phone functions including camera, ffc, bt, etc. Of all the roms will any of them allow all these features to work as well as stock?

If additional steps are needed to activate these functions with a particular rom please explain.

Your question really has nothing to do with this thread... all ROM have their own unique things they do best... the larger choice on ROMs is Sense (similar look and feel from Stock) and AOSP (Android Open Source Project) more of a straight Android look and feel. They all have basic phone functions you listed which are what the phone has built in.

Two main sources: [ROM/KERNEL/RADIO List] Official RootzWiKi HTC Thunderbolt ROM's List - [07/26/2011] and The Official Thunderbolt ROMs & Kernels Listing v2.5 (Updated 7/26 9:00 PM CST) - xda-developers

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You don't think function of things like the camera or gps or audio recorder known not to work in some roms have to do with whether we should root? I disagree. One poster mentioned that all roms have flaws. How in the world can a person make a rational decision about whether to root if we know what we may gain but NOT what we may lose?

Last edited:

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
You don't think function of things like the camera know not to work in some roms have to do with whether we should root? I disagree. One poster mentioned that all roms have flaws. How in the world can a person make a rational decision about whether to root if we know what we may gain but NOT what we may lose?

The best approach is to read the individual ROM threads, both here and the release threads that they link back to. They will list any known issues (if any) or any problems that individual users are having. Typically, most issues that are in a ROM are not major and there are workarounds posted in the threads.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Its a lot of reading. I had hoped to simplify the decision before studying each rom individually.

If you want just the basics ANY ROM should do that... if you like Sense ROMs there are some very good threads right here on AC in this forum that talk about those... and there are also a lot of good threads on ASOP ROMs. We can not make the choice for you. Some of the top ROMs IMHO are Das BAMF (of which there are a few different variations like Sense 2.1 and Sense 3.0 version), CM7 (ASOP), Liquid Thunderbread (ASOP), and Gingeritis (Sense 2.1) just to name a few.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
You don't think function of things like the camera or gps or audio recorder known not to work in some roms have to do with whether we should root? I disagree. One poster mentioned that all roms have flaws. How in the world can a person make a rational decision about whether to root if we know what we may gain but NOT what we may lose?

I'd put the relevance of the ROM question in relation to the OP in a gray area, but since you ask, here's the deal...

At this moment, there has been no "official" Gingerbread offerings for the Thunderbolt. There was a leak several weeks ago (that definitely was not ready for prime time), and a few builds that have been ported over, but no real base image to work off of, and as of yet, no source for the kernel (which is important). This is why, in my opinion, the Gingerbread ROMs are really not as stable as the Froyo ones.

A lot of folks will comment that certain GB Roms are great, and while I'm not saying that they're wrong, I have yet to find one that doesn't have bugs.

If you really want a stable, bug free ROM, then I suggest going Froyo. I'm running BAMF Remix 1.8.6 as my everyday ROM, and it's really nice. Everything works, no problems whatsover, plus a lot of great features and customizations you can't get with the stock OS.

In other words, if you want "stable", go Froyo...if you want to play around with some of the latest Android and HTC Sense features and don't mind having to deal with or fix a few bugs along the way, then by all means, give GB a run. The great thing is, once you're rooted, you can always go back if you install something you don't like.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Once rooted I know we cannot accept ota updates however I have read they are sometimes pushed and run automatically. Can this happen if you are rooted? Obviously I don't want it to.

Not that it matters in this context but I'd rather get rid of sense if it doesn't mess up anything else.

And thanks...your post had the info I needed.