Do I need to install a ROM in under 2 minutes?

Cognisseur

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
So, I have a rooted phone but no custom ROM. I didn't notice until the last second that the phone tried to push an OTA update. Anyway, the phone shuts down, and when it starts up the little green alien tries to install an update, fails, has an orange exclamation mark over his head, and that's it.

So I pull out the battery, put it back in, and the phone loads fine. Except... about two minutes after starting up, it starts to auto-shut down again, presumably to try to update again.

So, to escape this endless loop, I need to either unroot my phone or install a custom ROM on it that doesn't push OTA updates. And, I need to do it in a way that's possible inbetween shutdowns. Maybe if my phone is plugged into my computer it won't try to update, haven't tried yet.

Anyway, do you guys have some advice for me? Any ROM in particular I should install? Is unrooting easy enough? Other than switching off 4G, I rarely seem to use the potential of the root so I wouldn't lose sleep over not having it rooted.

Cognisseur

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I have ROM manager already, but no custom ROMs installed on it.

Can anyone think of a way to delay or stop the automatic shutdown process? I could unroot the phone or install a new custom ROM, but having only 30 seconds after the phone is usable makes this pretty impossible.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Put your SD card in the computer and place a custom ROM zip on there. Then put it back in the phone, boot into recovery and flash the new ROM. You don't need ROM manager.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

crescent

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
if you can take out sd card and load a rom on it. on load immediately shutdown and boot into recovery and install a rom. i'm pretty n00b though but from what you describe i think it will work.

*edit sorry for repost!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Since you're still on MR1, may want to use a good froyo rom, like bamf 1.8 (but not1.8.6)

After that you always switch over to an MR2 rom with the newer radio. Just a suggestion if u want to keep things simple for now.

Cognisseur

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded "Das BAMF Sense 3.0 RC4.9" and put it on my SD card. Then I booted in recovery and told it to install. It said it installed fine, so I selected 'Go back' and 'Reboot now'. After waiting ten years, it finally booted up.

Immediately after booting, I got this error "Sorry! Application HTC DM (in process com.htc.android.omadm.service) is not responding. Force close or wait?

No clue what it is, if I should be concerned, etc.

Also, some Sync app couldn't load up.

Er... I have no service according to it. This could have to do with that app. Help?

Edit2: Just got
"Error Update Failed
Source Verizon Wireless
Name: 1.70.605.0

In a way, that's good, right? Will it leave me alone now?

Last edited:

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
It can take a little while for first boot. Did you do a factory reset before flashing? You'll also need to flash the MR2 radio in hboot for data to work.

Cognisseur

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I didn't factory reset because I was lazy and didn't want to have to redownload my apps and contacts. Fortunately, almost all my apps work and my contacts seem to work so it's okay?

I also don't know what the second half of your post means. Any chance you could elaborate a bit more what MR2 radio means and what hboot means?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
You may be ok with no wipe, but I suspect wonky things to happen after going from MR1 to GB.

As for the radio. Download the file from here and place it on the root of your sdcard. Make sure it's named PG05IMG.zip. Power off the device. Hold volume down and power to get into hboot. Choose Fastboot and it should load the file and ask if you want to flash it. When it's finished, it'll give you the option to reboot. Your network connection should work then.

Cognisseur

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
IT WOOOOOOORRRRKSSSSS!!!

The cell phone lives! Calls went through! Text went through! Sites load! NO ERROR MESSAGES when I load anymore!

Hurrah and thank ALL of you so much for saving me. You are gods among men.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
IF you start to notice any kind of "wonky" behavior, I highly recommend backing up your apps and such and re-installing the ROM after doing a factory reset and clearing cache and dalvik.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...store-apps-data-when-installing-new-roms.html

I understand why you didn't before, but not doing the wipe has lead to a lot of misc issues for a lot of folks. Just something to keep in mind if things start to act up.

crescent

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded "Das BAMF Sense 3.0 RC4.9" and put it on my SD card. Then I booted in recovery and told it to install. It said it installed fine, so I selected 'Go back' and 'Reboot now'. After waiting ten years, it finally booted up.

Immediately after booting, I got this error "Sorry! Application HTC DM (in process com.htc.android.omadm.service) is not responding. Force close or wait?

No clue what it is, if I should be concerned, etc.

Also, some Sync app couldn't load up.

Er... I have no service according to it. This could have to do with that app. Help?

Edit2: Just got
"Error Update Failed
Source Verizon Wireless
Name: 1.70.605.0

In a way, that's good, right? Will it leave me alone now?
did you wipe everything before installing the rom?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair