Apprehensive about Wi-Fi Tether

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
So I am having an ethical dilemma, but also one that affects my Home internet connection and my wallet.

I live out in the sticks, so my only option for Internet is some backwoods ISP that transmits internet access to my house via radio signal. I have a rooted TB, and just recently the 4G was activated in my area. It is far superior to my Home service.

My Dilemma is whether or not to use my phone as my primary ISP and if so, whether to go legal and pay Big Red the 30.00 or just use a workaround?

I just tested tonight and I used 1gb of bandwidth to stream an episode of a TV show. I would be doing considerably more usage than that throughout the month.... I could easily see myself hitting over 40gb, between television, gaming and normal everyday usage.

I'm really just looking for opinions, and any info from anyone who might be using their phone and Big Red as their primary ISP.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
If you're unlimited, and your holdup is your lack of potential good home internet then you should pay. You can get unlimited for $30 more. Most of us pay at least $10 more than that. Also, it sounds like you will be a heavy user, so you could get flagged anyway. I would pay if i were you. If you just used it a little it would be different. No moral delima here. Just my opinion.

Or you could roll with it and the worst that might happen is they start charging you, buy you would not be doing your rooted brothers any favors. Stuff like this is why companies will fight for locked bootloaders and such.

Sent from the Bolt via Tapatalk

Last edited:

quantumiq

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
If you're unlimited, and your holdup is your lack of potential good home internet then you should pay. You can get unlimited for $30 more. Most of us pay at least $10 more than that. Also, it sounds like you will be a heavy user, so you could get flagged anyway. I would pay if i were you. If you just used it a little it would be different. No moral delima here. Just my opinion.

Or you could roll with it and the worst that might happen is they start charging you, buy you would not be doing your rooted brothers any favors. Stuff like this is why companies will fight for locked bootloaders and such.

Sent from the Bolt via Tapatalk

well said! plus if you do pay big red, if you have any problems you can feel free to complain to them.

Christopherg

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I have no real sympathy for verizon. This bandwidth cap, tethering thing is another symptom of a monopoly owner taking advantage of their position within the marketplace. I cry no tears when I use google voice for text. . .

With that being said - I support unauthorized tethering to an extent. There are two things you may run into here

1 - will Verizon catch you? If you break 5gb frequently. they may find/come down on you.

2 - what will they do? If the penalty is signing up for the unlimited tethering plan, its worth the risk. If its .25cents per megabyte. . .eck?

If I was going to do the above, I would think about paying verizon. If its your primarily internet and your using it a decent amount. . .might be worth of peace of mind.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol