Strange Happenings

sisaacs

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
So I go to lunch today and unlock my phone to see a notice that I was not signed in to my google account- I put in password and message pops up that my password has been changed! What?! I did not change this- after several failed attempts I signed on to gmail at my desk and Google reported "suspicious" activity on my account - had an access from somewhere in the UK. and got several failed email notices ( emails i DID NOT send) So I change my password and security settings. all good right?
But now phone is acting really weird- get force close on phone app. Can send but not receive sms. GPS icon flashes in a bizare mannner I have never seen.
I have been running BAMF 4.9 since it came out with no probs before today.
Would it be safe to wipe my phone and reflash? Thought Android phones could not get viruses but this is REALLY acting weird. Help please!?:(

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I had a Gmail account that was hacked because it was used as a login on the Gawker sites back when all of their data was stolen. Same suspicious activity thing - they shut it down because it was sending out hundreds of spam emails. I didn't use the account for my phone, but I would imagine it's more likely your Google account was compromised through something like that and not through your phone, and now the ROM is acting funky - be it related or not.

I don't see why you wouldn't be okay with a wipe and re-flash, or even a restore to a backup you had prior to the Google account acting funky. I would feel comfortable doing it if I were you (although I'm sure that if I were in your position I'd probably be wary too).

Reactions: sisaacs

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
That's crazy dude. Dunno about any of it, but glad your back up and running. I've had good roms go wacky before. I always try to nandroid as often as convenient or once ever 2-3 days at least.

rpz3.14

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I would really recommend 2 step authentication, as well. It's a bit of a pain to use it if you are a serial flasher but it pretty much completely eliminates the chances of your account (and your phone!) being hacked.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae