Version numbers and rooting

sr900400

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I am a new Thunderbolt owner and want to root to get rid of bloatware. I plan on using the ADB method if I can; what I mean by that is that I did an OTA update about a week ago and I don't know if the phone is capable of being rooted with the current software:

Android Version: 2.2.1

Software Number: 1.70.605.0

I have read so much in the last couple of days on different forums about messing up the phone if the version number isn't below such and such.

On to my questions:

When I read posts that mention versions and rooting, are they talking about the software number, Android Version or maybe some other number under the software information screen?

With the above mentioned versions, is it safe for me to root my phone with the ADB method or do I need to wait?

Thanks.

Scott

sr900400

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes it's safe, but after you're rooted you will be back on MR1.

So if you want to get back to stock MR2 you will need to flash this: [ROM] Official OTA 1.70.605.0 Rooted, Deodexed, Busybox, Debloated - xda-developers

Or you can flash any other custom ROM out there. Most new ROMs will require an MR2 radio found here: [RADIOS]MR2 and MR2.5 radios - xda-developers

Thanks Nate44,

I get that MR1 and MR2 are radio's but what is the difference?

Do I need to get back to MR2 or can I keep MR1?

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
MR1 firmware= 1.13.605.7 (older software), MR2 firmware= 1.70.605.0 (latest official software).

There is no good reason for you to keep your phone on MR1.

sr900400

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I've d/l the files required for rooting, then come back here to get the radio files Nate44 mentioned above.

I notice that the radio files are named PG05IMG.zip just like the ones for rooting.

I am working on the assumption that any time you flash your phone, the file used must be named PG05IMG.zip.

So just to be clear, I root normally per Cory Streater's ADB Root instructions and then flash again with the radio image?

If I am correct in this, what commands do I use to flash the radio?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I've d/l the files required for rooting, then come back here to get the radio files Nate44 mentioned above.

I notice that the radio files are named PG05IMG.zip just like the ones for rooting.

I am working on the assumption that any time you flash your phone, the file used must be named PG05IMG.zip.

So just to be clear, I root normally per Cory Streater's ADB Root instructions and then flash again with the radio image?

If I am correct in this, what commands do I use to flash the radio?

Yes the radio files will always be named pg05img.zip... root your phone and then you can upgrade the radio with these instructions... make sure you delete the old pg05img zip from the sd card before upgrading to the new one. Same name but different files.
Here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...tore-install-roms-thunderbolt.html#post829088 follow the post on installing radios..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech