About to Root

OhioG

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay so the thing I have noticed is that there are a lot of amazing directions on how to do something, like how to root, how to flash, etc. But I have gotten confused on what I need to do to get to where I want to be.

So my final goal is to get a Gingerbread Sense 3.0 ROM.

I understand that once I root, I loose the MR2 VZW recently pushed and ill be back on MR1.

From there is where I got confused.

I have no need for any data on this phone (everything I need is synced with Google) so I presume I can skip the back up step correct?

This is where I get confused. Do I flash back the MR2 Radio for gingerbread roms, or do I find a new radio.

At which point do you flash the ROM. I want to flash this rom
[ROM] [MikRoms] Gingeritis 3D v1.0 Beta VI [07-25-11] New Gingerbread Base!!

Would that work the the MR2 Radio.

Also what is this kernal business. Where does it fit into this whole procedure.

Steps:
1) Root
2)
3)
4)

This is were I am confused. Once I root what is the order I should do things.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
1) Root
2) Backup... you always make a backup... no back, no recovery, no way to boot your device up... ROM Manager is great for into recovery to create backups, and clearing cache and other things, and load new ROMs. I recommend the [Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt
3) Flash ROM
4) Flash Radio that works with ROM... Gingerbread ROM requires Gingerbread Radio.
5) Enjoy.

****EDIT: I use New Radio Leak...Gingerbread RUU THANKS CHINGY with Gingerits 3D Beta Vi and it works just fine.

Last edited:

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
And read, read, read. Don't start a process if you're not sure what the next steps will be.

Most ROM's will come with a kernel, but if you wind up wanting to flash a different kernel, read the ROM threads to make sure there are no conflicts or any known issues, and then you flash the .zip file just like you would a ROM.

ffcody7

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
First thing after root is to create a backup of your current ROM (which can be done through ROM manager). I then flashed the ROM first then radio.

To answer your question the mr2 radio should work with gingeritis 3d. I use the newest radio from Chingy (it can be found in another thread somewhere on here). Good luck Lynch with everything and let us know how it goes.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
After root download ROM manager, in rm flash recovery, read cyber warriors guide to make nandroid backups in recovery and install roms in recovery, then make a nandroid, then flash ROM of your choice and compatible radio - make sure you check md5 for radios, a bad download or corrupted radio file can damage your phone.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Good point Zero... you should Always check the MD5Sum code for any files you are going to use... but of course read the reviews on the ROM, Kernal, Radio or any other software you download... and only download files from reputable sites (XDA or RootzWiki are two reliable places I would trust right now) for your Android.

Reactions: zero neck

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois