Just rooted, but now have a Nandroid issue

tfrank10

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, newbie here. I just rooted, and went smoothly. At least I think so. However, now in my first time in ROM Manager, I'm attempting to create my Nandroid backup (following the guide thread in the forums) . I've tried both the "Backup Current ROM" button, and also through "Reboot into Recovery" mode. However, each time it starts rebooting and gets stuck at the white screen with the green HTC logo. It's been that way for an hour now.

I tried booting through the "hold volume down and press power" method to get to the bootloader, and then selected "recovery", but it does the same thing and freezes at the white HTC reboot screen.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

opjones

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
^THAT. ALSO GO BACK INTO ROM MANAGER AND FLASH RECOVERY ONE MORE TIME. Do you have a superuser icon in your app drawer?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
@zero: I will check.
@opjones. Yes, I do have super user

i'm betting you still have a PG05IMG.zip file on the root of your sd card

did you rename/move it from the root of your card? if you just rooted--i'm thinking you might have overlooked that step before doing anything else. most likely that file is what's causing your issue.

one way to fix for this particular instance (among many)
remove card>insert into sd card reader on computer>explore>rename the PG05IMG.zip file to some other name OR move it into a folder>put card back into phone>boot up & try again

Last edited:

tfrank10

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
@project: thanks. I actually deleted the file, but it still is freezing...is there a reason to rename it instead of deleting?

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
If you rename it then you can keep it on there in case you need it in the future. I just deleted it when I did it.

Did you flash recovery again after deleting that file and then try rebooting into recovery?

tfrank10

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
@large: yes just tried again...still freezing. Bummer.
Also, to finally answer @zero's question above, it says "s-off"... I have no idea what that means though.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
@large: yes just tried again...still freezing. Bummer.
Also, to finally answer @zero's question above, it says "s-off"... I have no idea what that means though.

s-off means security is off, which, for our purposes here, means you have permanent root.

so what i would suggest doing is clearing data for Rom manager in Settings>applications, then i would reopen Rom manager and try to flash an older version of recovery - if you scroll to the bottom of the list you can select "all versions of recovery" i think it's called, then you can flash version 3.0.2.5

see if that previous version of cwm flashes and works correctly, and if it does, you could either run with that version of cwm for a while or afterwards you can try to flash the latest version of recovery (3.1.0.2) again.

Reactions: ssethv

tfrank10

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
@zero: you, sir, are a genius. It worked like a charm. I have not gone through the rest of the process yet but it did flash to the proper screen, so i am hopeful the rest will go as planned. Thanks again!

Reactions: ssethv

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
s-off means security is off, which, for our purposes here, means you have permanent root.

so what i would suggest doing is clearing data for Rom manager in Settings>applications, then i would reopen Rom manager and try to flash an older version of recovery - if you scroll to the bottom of the list you can select "all versions of recovery" i think it's called, then you can flash version 3.0.2.5

see if that previous version of cwm flashes and works correctly, and if it does, you could either run with that version of cwm for a while or afterwards you can try to flash the latest version of recovery (3.1.0.2) again.
Remember, thats exactly what I had to do a few weeks ago when trying to restore nandroids. I am glad you mentioned it, or I would have... the newest update of ROMmanager/CWM is messing alot of stuff up for the thunderbolt...

i even sent Koush a twitter message about it, and he said he would look into but, i am assuming he is to busy with his new smsDesktop app to worry about this right.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
@zero: you, sir, are a genius. It worked like a charm. I have not gone through the rest of the process yet but it did flash to the proper screen, so i am hopeful the rest will go as planned. Thanks again!
He is a genius :) as you will be someday as long as you stick to the best site around with most helpful people. we all started out somewhere, the more you learn, the more you will be able to help people in the future ;) glad you got straightened out

Reactions: zero neck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana