Rooted Thunderbolt ~ Email Security Question?

macdime55

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I am new to rooting...just rooted and flashed a new gingerbread ROM and MR2 radio. Phone is running great...love it so far.

I use my phone for work, but its not a work supported device. we all use different devices and set them up to get our emails...which is already a bit of a no no but my company doesn't really mind at the end of the day.

My question is....now that my phone is rooted...can my company tell?? is it a security risk to our email servers? or is the risk/security the same regardless of root or not?

No guessing please...someone has to know. :)

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
They can not tell if you have a rooted phone unless they get their hands on it and know what they are looking for.... and presently there is no known security risks.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
My question is....now that my phone is rooted...can my company tell?? is it a security risk to our email servers? or is the risk/security the same regardless of root or not?

No guessing please...someone has to know. :)
No guessing... As a retired IT manager and an active IT consultant I can tell you that fatboy is right, rooting makes no difference. But if your company prohibits it, there is risk. Not the least of which is to your job.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

dpeters11

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
The default mail app has been shown to store the password in clear text, that could be seen as a risk, but it's no difference rooted or stock.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
There is one difference... Some ROMs disable the mandatory security features that some corporate Exchange sync accounts require.

In other words, it doesn't force you to set up a password and/or PIN when you configure your corporate email account. Basically, it's up to you to ensure that you're in compliance with your company's policies.

They may not be able tell without actually getting ahold of your phone, but something to be aware of none the less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci