Wireless Tether makes my data connection drop

thinknate

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
(Running Das Bamf Sense 3.0 RC4.9 with the most recent Chingy-leaked-radio)

I tried running Wireless tether for the first time this week. I have it set up for WPA2 ,and at first it worked fine for a few minutes. After that, web pages stopped loading, and I noticed that the data connection on my phone had dropped... I had a strong 4G connection previously, but the 4G icon disappeared from the status bar, and only the signal bars remained. If I disabled Wireless Tether, the data connection would soon return to my phone. The next day I tried it again, and it did not work it all -- it started dropping the data connection immediately.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any ideas?

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
yup, I experienced this. I noticed for me, it worked with the 2.5 radio just fine, but any others I would drop data connection once I connected to wireless tether via my laptop. so try the different radios and see what works for you. if none of the radios work, try a different rom, not sure why, but when I tried gingeritis, the newest radio worked for me and no longer the 2.5.

Reactions: thinknate

thinknate

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I was running the version 3 beta of wifi-tether, so I just rolled back to v2.0.7, and so far my connection hasn't dropped. I'll report back later. :)

thinknate

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Well after a half-hour or so, v2.0.7 has been working ok. There were a number of times that the signal appeared to drop to 0 bars, which never happens under normal usage in my house. About 10-20% of the page loads failed, and I had to refresh them. But there were none of the complete data signal drops that I was experiencing previously, so I'm calling it a success. :) (I streamed 200+ MB, which included a 9-minute 720p youtube video.)

a32guy

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happening here on CM7 RC1 with 0627r radio. I've tried the built in tether and wireless tether 2.07... no dice. I get between 2 and 10 minutes before I drop 3G or 4G, seems like it depends on how much data I'm pulling.

Any fix? Should I try MR2.5 radio? And can I even run that with CM7?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happening here on CM7 RC1 with 0627r radio. I've tried the built in tether and wireless tether 2.07... no dice. I get between 2 and 10 minutes before I drop 3G or 4G, seems like it depends on how much data I'm pulling.

Any fix? Should I try MR2.5 radio? And can I even run that with CM7?

I'm guessing you are talking about using CM7 rc1.6.1, or are you using an older version??? Also, is there any reason for not using the built in wireless tethering app that comes with CM7??? Last time I attempted this with CM7 and the built in app it worked just fine.

But that said... there are also the newer Gingerbread radios... 2.10 and 2.11 that came out of the latest TBolt Gingerbread ROMs that might be worth trying.

a32guy

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing you are talking about using CM7 rc1.6.1, or are you using an older version??? Also, is there any reason for not using the built in wireless tethering app that comes with CM7??? Last time I attempted this with CM7 and the built in app it worked just fine.

But that said... there are also the newer Gingerbread radios... 2.10 and 2.11 that came out of the latest TBolt Gingerbread ROMs that might be worth trying.

I'll look into 2.10 and 2.11. I actually am using 7.1.0-RC1. I know there are newer versions, but I have working wifi, fast gps lock, and no battery issues... I'm a bit nervous to lose GPS if I update, but I'd rather have solid tethering so we will see!

Thanks for the reply!

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'll look into 2.10 and 2.11. I actually am using 7.1.0-RC1. I know there are newer versions, but I have working wifi, fast gps lock, and no battery issues... I'm a bit nervous to lose GPS if I update, but I'd rather have solid tethering so we will see!

Thanks for the reply!

Well, then good luck with that, but there is an easy trick to getting GPS to work with upgrading... go to your Navagation app, get a GPS lock by getting directions to a location, leave that on and boot into Recovery, wipe data, cache, and Dalvik cache... upgrade... done.

If you end up having an issue, make a backup, then flash a Sense ROM, get a lock, then flash your backup of CM7... again, done. GPS will work.

But if you want to stay with an old ROM... by all means go ahead.

tucker_dahlin

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I just tried wifi tether for the first time and my data dropped completely. I cannot get data back at all now. Ive done a batt pull and several reboots but still have nothing. Even uninstalled the app. Any ideas?

a32guy

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The same thing happened on my bionic. Connect to wifi, hop on the market, look for an app called "reset connections". Grab that.

Turn network mode to CDMA only first, then run the app. It will open then close. Wait a good minute and all your wireless connections should restart and your phone should eventually find 3G. You can then kick it back to LTE if service is strong enough in your area.

Unfortunately this happens quite a bit if I leave my Bionic in LTE/CDMA mode-- but not as often if I leave it in CDMA only. Must be something with swapping between modes.

tucker_dahlin

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The same thing happened on my bionic. Connect to wifi, hop on the market, look for an app called "reset connections". Grab that.

Turn network mode to CDMA only first, then run the app. It will open then close. Wait a good minute and all your wireless connections should restart and your phone should eventually find 3G. You can then kick it back to LTE if service is strong enough in your area.

Unfortunately this happens quite a bit if I leave my Bionic in LTE/CDMA mode-- but not as often if I leave it in CDMA only. Must be something with swapping between modes.

Ill give it a try, thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae