Having trouble flashing ROM

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
That's actually the other guide I had open and had been using. It was the one that taught me how to backup my phone and what I was talking about when I said I was using the ROM Manager app to go into the recovery menu to start wiping the cache and flashing the new ROM.

Then please follow that to flash the ROM... then the Radio.

To flash the radio, rename the zip to PG05IMG.zip if it's not already and place it on the root of your SD Card. Boot into Bootloader: power off your phone... Turn the phone back on by holding down the volume down rocker and the power button at the same time until the phone opens in bootloader. The zip should start running and updating the radio. Once done reboot the phone on and remove the PG05IMG.zip from your phone or move it off the root of the sd card in another folder. If its not moved after the installation it will constantly keep trying to update the radio if you ever need to boot into bootloader again to get to recovery.

Reactions: straightsixm3

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded BAMF from here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/103309-7-14-11-rom-das-bamf-sense-3-0-rc4-9-a.html, went into the recovery menu and cleared everything again and tried flashing the ROM and it's working!! It's finally flashing the new ROM! Thank GOD! Thank you sooo much for your fatboy and project.in.process!!

Glad you are up and running... make a backup when you are comfortable... backup does not backup the Radio... so it's advisable to keep a copy of the radio on your SD card, just in case you have to reload the Radio, just keep the name other than the PG05IMG.zip... I like MR2.PG05IMG.zip, or something like that.

straightsixm3

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Glad you are up and running... make a backup when you are comfortable... backup does not backup the Radio... so it's advisable to keep a copy of the radio on your SD card, just in case you have to reload the Radio, just keep the name other than the PG05IMG.zip... I like MR2.PG05IMG.zip, or something like that.

Is there anyway to restore the wallpaper and locations of the apps that I previously had before flashing? Or do I have to put them back in their places manually?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
What apps??? And What are you using for Backup... if you are talking about your backup of your original ROM the answer is NO, NO, NO.

I use MyBackup Root... I can backup some data from some apps... like I said I backup Angry Birds Rio and just a couple other apps.

straightsixm3

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
What apps??? And What are you using for Backup... if you are talking about your backup of your original ROM the answer is NO, NO, NO.

I use MyBackup Root... I can backup some data from some apps... like I said I backup Angry Birds Rio and just a couple other apps.

Well before I rooted my phone I had organized the apps I use frequently in different places among my screens. For backup I am using ROM Manager. Also, the phone seems to be a bit sluggish, but I can live with it.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
You have to do it manually... one of the reasons I really like LauncherPro... it's a different feel, but you can save most shortcuts to apps... it does have one minor issue with Widgets, but it doesn't take much to fix those... but if it's Sense, then you have to setup everything if you jump from one ROM to another... but like I said with LauncherPro you can restore the settings from your SD card no matter what ROM you have, you just need to load LauncherPro.

straightsixm3

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
You have to do it manually... one of the reasons I really like LauncherPro... it's a different feel, but you can save most shortcuts to apps... it does have one minor issue with Widgets, but it doesn't take much to fix those... but if it's Sense, then you have to setup everything if you jump from one ROM to another... but like I said with LauncherPro you can restore the settings from your SD card no matter what ROM you have, you just need to load LauncherPro.

Oh alright. About the memory on the phone. It says I've used 452/595 and only have 143 MB free at the moment. This seems unusual and I think it's the reason why my phone is kind of sluggish. Any remedies for this?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Flash a ROM that is not so Sense heavy... I prefer AOSP (Android Open Source Project) ROMs, they actually don't have any Sense so even the file size of the Zip files are Much, Much smaller... some Sense ROM are about 290MB... CM7 is 92MB.

Currently using CM7 under Settings > Application Settings > Manage applications > Running tab > I have 101MB used and 422MB free.

straightsixm3

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Flash a ROM that is not so Sense heavy... I prefer AOSP (Android Open Source Project) ROMs, they actually don't have any Sense so even the file size of the Zip files are Much, Much smaller... some Sense ROM are about 290MB... CM7 is 92MB.

Currently using CM7 under Settings > Application Settings > Manage applications > Running tab > I have 101MB used and 422MB free.

I see. Where should I download CM7 from?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok thank you but what is GAPPS?

Short for Google Apps... Flash the ROM, Flash the GAPPS... Done... it's simple... small, but Google doesn't let CyanoganMod include their apps... don't know why... just does.

If you are going to flash CM7... one suggestion... open Navigation app, lock on your location, leave it on, then start ROM Manager, backup, clear and wipe everything per the Install manual I linked earlier, then load the two zips. If you don't do this you MIGHT have an issue with your GPS not locking on after you flash this ROM.

Otherwise, please read the thread on this ROM or any other ROM before you attempt to load it... and ask questions on that thread.

straightsixm3

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Short for Google Apps... Flash the ROM, Flash the GAPPS... Done... it's simple... small, but Google doesn't let CyanoganMod include their apps... don't know why... just does.

If you are going to flash CM7... one suggestion... open Navigation app, lock on your location, leave it on, then start ROM Manager, backup, clear and wipe everything per the Install manual I linked earlier, then load the two zips. If you don't do this you MIGHT have an issue with your GPS not locking on after you flash this ROM.

Otherwise, please read the thread on this ROM or any other ROM before you attempt to load it... and ask questions on that thread.

Cool thanks. One last question, which GAPPS do I download? In that thread it's either:

Goo-inside Gapps
7-25 Gapps. (not mine)

dually

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah man, hang in there. It gets a lot easier, and a lot of times it's a little detail that makes all the difference. Sometimes you just have to set aside an afternoon to dig through the forums and tinker.

Sent from my PUR3 A05P using Tapatalk

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Yeah man, hang in there. It gets a lot easier, and a lot of times it's a little detail that makes all the difference. Sometimes you just have to set aside an afternoon to dig through the forums and tinker.

Sent from my PUR3 A05P using Tapatalk

Or as simple as flashing it at work in your spare time, and still having your new ROM up and running in less than an hour.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary