Hi Everyone,

I currently have a HTC TB and I rooted my phone. Verizon recently keeps sending me msg to remind me to update my phone, the file is about 76mb, and I donno if that update is gonna mess up my phone since it was rooted. I'm a total rookie and I saw lots up posts under hacks forum, but I donno which one suits my situation.

Now heres the question,

1. If I want to safely update, what should I do?

2. how do I update my phone to 2.3 GB and Sense 3.0?

PS: I ONLY rooted my phone, and DIDN'T do any sort of update before.

Please help and Thank you~!
    08-16-2011 07:14 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I currently have a HTC TB and I rooted my phone. Verizon recently keeps sendin
    g me msg to remind me to update my phone, the file is about 76mb, and I donno if that update is gonna mess up my phone since it was rooted. I'm a total rookie and I saw lots up posts under hacks forum, but I donno which one suits my situation.

Now heres the question,

1. If I want to safely update, what should I do?

2. how do I update my phone to 2.3 GB and Sense 3.0?

PS: I ONLY rooted my phone, and DIDN'T do any sort of update before.

Please help and Thank you~!

If you don't want to lose root, do not take the update. There's a rooted version of the update somewhere in the forums, which is basically the update they're pushing to you, but rooted.

In order to get GB and Sense 3.0, you would have to flash a custom rom. Make sure you also flash a GB radio if you go this route.
    SkyHeroMZ likes this.
    08-16-2011 09:39 PM
    Follow this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/thu...fter-root.html (which is a sticky here) to upgrade.

I recommend Gingeritis 3D for a GB/3.0 ROM. There are others too, but I like that one the best.
    SkyHeroMZ likes this.
    08-16-2011 10:55 PM
    If you have not done anything except root your phone and you don't mind losing root scripting the update should not be a problem.
    If you want to keep root, follow the guide nate posted and enjoy the world of roms. Bamf is widely used and very stable. CM7 is great for a vanilla rom. Check out rootzwiki or thunderbolt forums for tons of roms and support.
    SkyHeroMZ likes this.
    08-16-2011 11:30 PM
    (My first post) I'm new to the whole rooting experience as well, so take my comments for what they're worth:
    I just rooted my phone a couple of days ago (I'm still not really sure why, except perhaps I was hoping to find a way to go back to the old Market - I really dislike the new one) - and after a successful root, I was just going through all of the menus just looking to see what, if anything, had changed. I happened to be in the Settings->Software update menu and chose Check new not expecting anything to happen. It told me there was an update so I figured 'what the heck - the worst that can happen is that it'll nuke the whole thing and I'll just start over' so I let it download the update and proceed through the reboot, etc. After it rebooted, it showed a little yellow progress bar with a picture of a open box right above it, and before it got to 1/3 complete it showed a triangle symbol with an exclamation point and that was it - it just stopped. So I shut the phone off and restarted it, and it seemed normal for about 30 seconds, and then it said 'Powering down' and it restarted and went through that same scenario. I had followed the root instructions and made a backup immediately after the root completed successfully, so I ended up using Clockwork Recovery to restore that image, and since then I've been careful to stay away from the update (I've also been careful to be sure I remove any PG05IMG.ZIP file after I use it - I hadn't done that after updating the radio or something, and whenever I tried to boot into the HBOOT menus it would automatically start the process to load that .zip - I was lucky enough to be able to connect my phone to my laptop and remove that file before the phone started its 'powering down' behavior).
    YMMV
    SkyHeroMZ likes this.
    08-18-2011 12:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD