Returning Phone...need to unroot

lcannon13

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I am having to return my phone due to glitch and I need to unroot. I am going to follow the instructions given in one of the threads above, but what do i need to do in order to make sure that there are no traces of this left on the phone when I am done? I don't want to get dinged with the fee that verizon may charge me for rooting the phone or finding that I have rooted my phone. Please help.

Thanks

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I am having to return my phone due to glitch and I need to unroot. I am going to follow the instructions given in one of the threads above, but what do i need to do in order to make sure that there are no traces of this left on the phone when I am done? I don't want to get dinged with the fee that verizon may charge me for rooting the phone or finding that I have rooted my phone. Please help.

Thanks

steps
1) follow the unroot sticky above in the forum,
2) wipe/format the system (probably accomplished during the unroot process listed in step#1)
3) if you're sending back the card, format the card & cypher it (format can be done via phone, cypher=deeper formatting, will need to be done via Windows command prompt line)
4) power off the phone. then hold volume down + power until the phone boots up to the HBOOT screen (white screen with skating androids). if you see
"MECHA S-OFF"--they'll know you rooted it. Security is off
"MECHA S-ON"--Security is on. they'll believe it is unrooted. unless further inspection reveals otherwise. see below for possible further inspections

optional:
A) after step 4, select "REBOOT" in the HBOOT menu or just power up the phone. keep hitting Skip until you're at the home screen.
B) then log in to the androidmarket on the phone, install "terminal emulator", open it, key "su" and hit enter
i. if you see a "#" or if Superuser asks you to allow Terminal Emulator for root priviledges, you can grant it, then you're still rooted.
ii. if you don't see a "#" on the next line, then you know you're successfully unrooted &
C) the only thing left is to make sure there's no apps/folders on the phone memory (which could be erased via formatting if any are left over) which would have been created by SuperUser or a blatant Root application.
if you don't see any root apps (superuser) and no # is returned in Terminal Emulator, wipe/format the phone once again via phone menu & you're good to go.

if you're returning it (via Asurion)---they often don't ask for any accessories to the phone (ie memory card) so check first if they'll want it. if they do---cypher/format it. if they don't, then don't touch it :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech