[GUIDE] How To Root/Unroot The Thunderbolt with Revolutionary

jmberling

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
THIS LOOKS GREAT!!! I have been looking everywhere for a good root write up, and this is the best one so far. I will try this as soon as I get home from work. Can't wait!

tucker_dahlin

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I cant install HTCDriver3.0.0.007. When I try I get en error:

1152: Error extracting
C:\users\me\appdata\local\temp\{5bc1eb
to the temporary location

Any ideas? I've removed htc sync and other htc stuff from my computer and restarted.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I cant install HTCDriver3.0.0.007. When I try I get en error:

1152: Error extracting
C:\users\me\appdata\local\temp\{5bc1eb
to the temporary location

Any ideas? I've removed htc sync and other htc stuff from my computer and restarted.

It means you don't have write access or permission to the temp folder where its trying to extract. Most likely something with your computers settings.

A work around would be to install a free program like 7-Zip and install it. Then you right click on the HTCDriver3.0.0.007 then click on 7-Zip then select Extract Here.

7-Zip: Download

tucker_dahlin

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
thank you for the help. I tried it that way and 7zip gave me 30 errors. pretty much all said file broken. Also, where exactly should I extract to?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Hold on a second... why are you extracting the HTCDriver? Its not a zip file. Its an .exe. Just download the file and double click on it to start the installation.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
That error is usually caused by one of three things.

A bad download
You dont have write access or permissions
Low memory on the C: Drive

Try downloading the file again.

jmberling

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
This method works great! Got home last night and had my TB rooted and a custom ROM installed in under 20 minutes. Great write up!

Sent from my Thunderbolt or Xoom using Tapatalk.

tucker_dahlin

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
So after messing with it for a while, it seems that I may have some major problems on my computer. I cant seem to make any changes to many folders on my user account (even though its the only one and Im admin). Most of the problems have to do with the appdata folder, which I cant see or access even though I set it to show all folders. I may just try to root on my other computer but I know this is a problem Im gonna have to fix at some point. Appreciate all the help.

sscinokc

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
FUDGE! Did I mess up? I am unrooting for warranty purposes. I flashed the first nohboot.zip file...and "thought" I flashed the second hboot_only file...but I didn't. (I assume that's why I'm still showing s-off.) Ended up going the next step for OTA latest update.

So now what? Do I need to start over with the nohboot.zip, or what? Not sure what I need to do at this point. Can someone please help!!!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
FUDGE! Did I mess up? I am unrooting for warranty purposes. I flashed the first nohboot.zip file...and "thought" I flashed the second hboot_only file...but I didn't. (I assume that's why I'm still showing s-off.) Ended up going the next step for OTA latest update.

So now what? Do I need to start over with the nohboot.zip, or what? Not sure what I need to do at this point. Can someone please help!!!

Yep...gotta start over. You need to be downgraded before you can flash the second zip to put s-on. That sucks..:-\

sscinokc

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Yep...gotta start over. You need to be downgraded before you can flash the second zip to put s-on. That sucks..:-\

So when you say "start over", does that mean I have to root first the whole phone...or can I just flash the first .zip from the unroot process (I rooted from a non-revolutionary root several months ago)

19bwa86

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
This morning my phone downloaded a new firmware and now I can't use my phone case it keeps trying to install the update and it fails what should I Do? I I need my phone for work and can't be without it...

19bwa86

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
This morning my phone downloaded a new firmware and now I can't use my phone case it keeps trying to install the update and it fails what should I Do? I I need my phone for work and can't be without it...

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone except the OTA on a rooted phone so I'm not sure what it will do.

Either flash a custom ROM on the phone... or flash the 2.11.605.5 RUU on the phone (you will lose root access so afterwards you will need to flash SU back to the phone.) If you want to try the OTA instead... that's up to you.. I'm not really sure what would happen though. I would use the RUU to update the phone or use a custom ROM.

2.11.695.5 RUU - AndroidPolice_PG05IMG_Mecha_2.11.605.5 - Minus.com
-After downloading it, rename it to "PG05IMG"
-Drop the file on the root of the SD Card
-Turn off your device Hold Volume Down + Power to reboot into the bootloader --the file should automatically be detected and the flashing process will begin.
-Wait for your device to complete the process and reboot.

To get root access back:
You need to repeat step 10 from the guide to put SU back on the phone. You have the bootloader unlocked (s-off) but you lost your root access which is whats happening to everyone who is putting the RUU over a Revolutionary rooted phone.

10) Now you will still be at the bootloader screen...
Press Power to enter the recovery screen.
Push volume down to highlight recovery and push power once again to select it and boot into recovery.
Now you can use the recovery and install su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip to get root.

kidnice15

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I am guessing the same thing is happening to me also. I was out trick or treating ( with my daugther ) took my phone out of my pocket and my phone was useless. There was a android with a exclamation point :( I reboot my phone. get to the lock screen and then it just shuts off again :(, will this method make my phone useable again, I really don't want to reactivate my iPhone after 2 days of having my thunderbolt.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2