[GUIDE] How To Root/Unroot The Thunderbolt with Revolutionary

jel415

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

kidnice15

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue. To fix it I completely unrooted the phone back to s-on and flashed 2.2. Followed the exact instruction on the first post of this tread. Let it update to 2.3, and then rooted it again. Whole process takes about 30 mins with all the backups.

Just a question, when you unrooted, did you do the whole unroot, or did you just do the part where it says putting current stock firmware and S-on back onto the phone..

ambienteternity

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
ambienteternity

Try to re-run the root from step 10 I think, the part to re-flash the SU .zip file.

Ok, sorry for the delay.

I redid step 10... Flashed the SU zip from recovery.

My phone says its S-off and it says revolutionary at the top, but all the bloatware is still on (it wasn't before it unrooted itself), and when I try to take a screenshot, it tells me I dont have root access.

What I find odd though is that apps like MyBackup Pro think I do have root access... It's very confusing.

So, I'm not sure if my phone is rooted or not. It's definitely not in the state I want it to be in. I was considering using BAMF forever 1.0.7. Do you guys think I should just take the plunge, run it and see if I'm suddenly rooted again? Or is there an underlying issue here my noob ass can't see?

ambienteternity

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so how about this...

superuser seems to think I'm rooted, and busybox just successfully installed for me...

So confused. So I'm rooted? Maybe I should just wipe everything and attempt the bamf forever install...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ambienteternity

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Yay!

New update. I took the plunge into Bamf forever 1.0.7 and it works! Rooted!

Just waiting for MyBackup to finish restoring my massive amount of texts that I cant seem to let go between my boyfriend and i, lol

tonkatruck7

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the newest update and im trying to root. i get the beta key and all that just fine...when i click back on the revolutionary.exe it says Waiting for device...thats all i get...i did this on another thunderbolt that did not have the newest update and everything went fine no problems. any idea how to get it to find the device?

ambienteternity

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty cool. Smooth and functional. The data widget doesn't like me much, but I can still toggle it from the pull-down menu. I like it, but i must have more speed! More powah! Lol

-Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk!

harrishaven

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

TrueMetalGeek

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Nice write up, I'll have to give this a shot.

About uninstalling HTC Sync. Do you think I could just keep that program from starting by removing it from windows start until I'm all done or is there some other reason I have to have it totally un installed?

I just figured shutting it down would make it easier than re installing HTC sync later.

e88cc

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Just to confirm - does the root method set forth in the OP still work following the OTA update? Battery life post-update is totally unacceptable, and it is past time for me to take back control of this phone. Thanks!

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Just to confirm - does the root method set forth in the OP still work following the OTA update? Battery life post-update is totally unacceptable, and it is past time for me to take back control of this phone. Thanks!

Yes it does still work and is the simplest method.

Reactions: e88cc

scott750

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted with Revolutionary and ran into some problems. I don't seem to have any Clockwork recovery apps in the SuperUser app. I have NIS 2012, not sure how to disable firewall, but turned all services OFF.

After entering my beta key, everything was going smoothly until I went to install Clockwork recovery. I chose Y and it looked like it was loading, but the Revolutionary window disappeared, no crash message. I restarted Revolutionary and it would just stay on waiting for device.

I selected REBOOT on the phone, let it fully get into android, then reboot and hold down power + volume down to get into recovery.

Revolutionary window now sees my phone, says I already have S-OFF, and asks if I want to flash Clockwork recovery.

I say Y, and it says successful. Phone recovery says Revolutionary in Pink and S-OFF. I was able to then continue to load the .zip file successfully and the phone booted in Android like normal. I've got the SuperUser app, but there's nothing in it.

I tried rebooting to Bootloader again and reopen Revolutionary to flash clockwork, but it fails.

Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss something when Revolutionary window disappeared? I haven't downloaded the Root Check app yet...might do that...not sure I want to spend $.99 for a one time use....Please help!!

scott750

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Well I think I may be ok.

From doing some searches the SuperUser app list other apps that I've given SuperUser access too. I downloaded My Backup Pro, ROM Manager, Root Checker Pro and Titanium Backup and they are now showing up in it.

Root Checker Pro says I have root access.

So I think I'm done.

I did notice a lot of my free apps disappeared, Amazon, Mint, etc. My Apps in Market didn't show they existed on my phone. Re-downloaded them and all of my user data was still there....hmmm?

Guess the first minor hiccup in my rooting quest...guess it could have been worse. :D

Devils Advocate

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I am now rooted and I do not have the Settings any more. I cannot figure out what to do now. Yes I am an idiot. When I go to Menu/Settings I get the following message "The linked program is no longer installed on your phone." I thought I did a backup using Rom Manager but I guess I did not as I had to reinstall the program from the market. Yes I am a noob to the extreme and I apologize but HELP please.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I am now rooted and I do not have the Settings any more. I cannot figure out what to do now. Yes I am an idiot. When I go to Menu/Settings I get the following message "The linked program is no longer installed on your phone." I thought I did a backup using Rom Manager but I guess I did not as I had to reinstall the program from the market. Yes I am a noob to the extreme and I apologize but HELP please.

Sounds like you deleted the setting app, restore with Backup will fix easily..

Restore%20Backup%20Rooted.gif

Last edited:

elindquist1

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
This may be a stupid question, but in step 4, do I just drag and drop? When I open the disk drive on my computer I just got all of the files. Is this the SD card?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
This may be a stupid question, but in step 4, do I just drag and drop? When I open the disk drive on my computer I just got all of the files. Is this the SD card?

Yes... you can drag and drop it. Open "my computer" and plug the phone in and set it as a disc drive... which ever new drive pops up is your phone. Double click on the drive an you should see Android related folders. Place the file directly onto the drive... do not place it in any folders.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay