[GUIDE] How To Root/Unroot The Thunderbolt with Revolutionary

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I followed the directions to a T - both on this thread and the XDA-Developer's .9 to 2.11.605.5 reversion...

it still works!

Now if that unrooted and debloated 2.11.605.9 OTA update from JCase can be re-hosted somewhere... I'll be happy.

ONE QUESTION: How can I be sure to no longer receive automatic OTA updates? Does the rooting process itself block further pushes, or is that something I need to manually do? I ask, because I have no plans for custom ROMs at this time....

Thank you all for your efforts!

no, unless it was removed from the ROM...I dont know personally if it was..best case is reread the thread(from the ROM) to see, or ask in that in that thread...if it is debloated I would assume it is set to NOT receive OTAs...

kenzlo

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for this. I've been debating rooting for awhile, and I have to say, if I knew it was this easy I wouldn't have waited. It worked flawlessly.

seanren78#AC

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I just got a referb and it has GB 2.3.4 ROM 2.11.605.9 I have everything set up correctly and for some reason I keep getting "Failed to get Root! :<". I've rooted the adb way and I am just to lazy to go through the process again. Anyone else go through this. Not sure if it is GB Radio (although everyone says there is no problem).

Any help or insight would be appreciated. I have reset my phone numerous times, bugging on, charge only, no HTC Sync, re-downloaded HTC Driver's and re-installed. So Not sure what is going on.

***edit*** Need to downgrade baseband

Last edited:

judemesh

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
After rooting my phone, flashing a ROM(BAMF Forever 1.0.5) and the MR4 radio I no longer get a 4G signal.
Has anyone else had or seen this issue?

Order of steps I followed:

1. I used XDA-Developer's instructions on downgrading from .9 to 2.11.605.5
2. I followed the directions on this thread to root my phone
3. I flashed a ROM using ROM manager
4. Had issues with the automatic update of .9 constantly trying to be pushed to my phone (very annoying)
5. Reflashed the ROM manually which resolved above issue
6. Flashed MR4 radio

Phone functions fine(much better than before (wish i would have not waited to root) and I have a strong signal strength but it never goes to 4G it is constantly on 3G. There are no known issues in my area with Verizons 4G network.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

smarblewnec

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,
I need to send my phone back to Verizon for a warranty replacement and one of the files I need to unroot revolutionary is unavailable now that megaupload is shut down. Does anyone have another link to the file or can someone email it to me? I am in a bit of a bind because this thing needs to be back to verizon in about 4 days. The file I need is tbolt.zip from the revolutionary unroot instructions. The post says the file contains the old eng 1.40.2000 s-off hboot,and the bare minumum tools to install it. Any Help?

inkdracula

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
I need to send my phone back to Verizon for a warranty replacement and one of the files I need to unroot revolutionary is unavailable now that megaupload is shut down. Does anyone have another link to the file or can someone email it to me? I am in a bit of a bind because this thing needs to be back to verizon in about 4 days. The file I need is tbolt.zip from the revolutionary unroot instructions. The post says the file contains the old eng 1.40.2000 s-off hboot,and the bare minumum tools to install it. Any Help?

I need the same thing. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I need the same thing. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here guys: File contains the old eng 1.40.2000 s-off hboot: TBolt.zip

Let me know if that works... it should.

Reactions: smarblewnec

smarblewnec

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks very much for the help. I would have used your file but before you posted it I found the below link instead which worked very well.

Thunderbolt Auto-Unrooter!

Since I didn't use your file I can't verify it, but I downloaded it anyway for future use if required. Thanks for the fast response.

BBerry2ADroid

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
This method worked great, once I figured out that you have to remove the PG05IMG file from the SD card, then load the SU zip file. Was a little frustrating at first, but I did it and that is all that matters. Watch the video! It really helped.

Thanks for putting this guide together.

Wise.945

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this has been discussed within the 54 pages of this thread, but is it still not possible to root with the .9 instead of .5? I've tried downloading the downgrade patch but it's going to take roughly 5 hours (when it doesn't just stop downloading) Thanks!

Hawk11nw

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I am unable to see the .zip files in recovery window to install. I can see it when its mounted as a USB drive though. any ideas? Thank you. (I am still browsing but 54 pages is a bit of reading=)

ChAv3zZz

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
i downloaded everything needed but when i try to open the adb application it opens then shows a bunch of comands but instantly closes afterwards and i couldnt read anything that it said...any suggestions? if u dont mind could u email me stephonchavez@yahoo.com. i dont get on here that much

ChAv3zZz

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
OK, for the other person that didn't have internet on his PC, I've searched other forums and found a way to do the install without an internet connection to install Clockworkmod manually.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [Info] After Revolutionary: install Clockworkmod, root & more

When done, continue with the first page instructions to complete the root.

i downloaded everything needed but when i try to open the adb application it opens then shows a bunch of comands but instantly closes afterwards and i couldnt read anything that it said...any suggestions? if u dont mind could u email me stephonchavez@yahoo.com. i dont get on here that much

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21