[GUIDE] How To Root/Unroot The Thunderbolt with Revolutionary

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I needed to get out to be able to use my phone. Still have s-off, but when I reboot with volume down & power, while I see recovery as an option, I still can't select recovery. It shows the list starting with fastboot, and I can't use my volume button to select any of the other options.

Any suggestions? Should I just run everything again from scratch and see if that will work?

Thanks!

I know on my phone when I'm in bootloader, I have to sometimes press the buttons a few times for them to register. Try pressing the volume down a few times until it starts moving... same with the power button.

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Quick question from a soon to be first time rooter.. I have HTC BMP usb driver, and the HTC driver installer currently installed on the computer I plan on using to do this. Will those affect running revolutionary? I noticed in the video he said that if you had SYNC installed to remove it before starting.

O.G Incredible

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
i rooted on thunderbolt no problem the first time. i tried rooting a different thunderbolt and the new key that i got when i punched it in to revolutionary keeps saying is invalid...please help

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
i rooted on thunderbolt no problem the first time. i tried rooting a different thunderbolt and the new key that i got when i punched it in to revolutionary keeps saying is invalid...please help

The program is most likely still recognizing the first phone. Try rebooting your computer and try again.. if not, delete the Revolutionary.exe from your computer and redownload it... you may need to even delete and reinstall the Windows sync drivers also. Make sure your entering the device info for the second phone and that its not the same info from the first phone.

Reactions: O.G Incredible

O.G Incredible

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
The program is most likely still recognizing the first phone. Try rebooting your computer and try again.. if not, delete the Revolutionary.exe from your computer and redownload it... you may need to even delete and reinstall the Windows sync drivers also. Make sure your entering the device info for the second phone and that its not the same info from the first phone.

i put the right info for the 2nd phone ill try deleting the Revolutionary and re-install it. Thanks, ill keep you posted

jaguarpaw

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
rooted last night .. took about 20 mins start to finish. i went slow and wrote everything down. worked like a charm. thank you!!.. now to kill the bloat. and dive into the roms. aaaaaand to delete that htc tracker apk that is collecting all of my private data...

Last edited by a moderator:

dah328

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking into rooting my phone for the first time, but one thing I have not seen in this guide (or any other others for that matter) is instructions on backing up the phone beforehand. Is this because backing up the phone (whether through CWMod or otherwise) requires root access?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking into rooting my phone for the first time, but one thing I have not seen in this guide (or any other others for that matter) is instructions on backing up the phone beforehand. Is this because backing up the phone (whether through CWMod or otherwise) requires root access?

Backing up the entire phone (Nandroid Backup):
http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...-backup-restore-install-roms-thunderbolt.html
Yes... you need to be rooted for this. One of the benifits of rooting the phone. More explained in the beginning of that guide "Making a Nandroid Backup"....first part of the guide.

Backing up your apps and info before getting ready to root the phone:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...plications-data-when-installing-new-roms.html
You don't need to be rooted for this... use an app called MyBackup Pro.

Everything you need can be found in the stickies at the top of the forum.

Rooting with the Revolutionary method by the way won't wipe your data... so no need to worry about that but always make sure you back everything up anyways before making any changes to the phone.

If you need help or have any questions... just ask. Always glad to help out. :cool:

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking of rooting. I am on the original software that came on my bolt when I bought in march. Will the revolution root method work on my software version? Would you recommend another root method over revolution? Last thing, is there a way to backup my stock radios after I root so I can revert back to them after trying different radios if I wanted to.

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad