[GUIDE] How To Root/Unroot The Thunderbolt with Revolutionary

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking of rooting. I am on the original software that came on my bolt when I bought in march. Will the revolution root method work on my software version? Would you recommend another root method over revolution? Last thing, is there a way to backup my stock radios after I root so I can revert back to them after trying different radios if I wanted to.

Thanks

I would either use Senior Adviser DroidXcons Auto Root Method... it works with all the updates except for the latest Gingerbread update.
Or
Use Revolutionary to root the phone.

Here's the difference:
Revolutionary
-works with all the updates from Verizon (MR1, MR2 & MR3)
-its the easiest root method... but the unroot method is a little harder.
-doesnt wipe the phones data/doesn't downgrade you.

Auto Root... by DroidXcon
-works with Verizon update.. MR1 & MR2. It will not work with the latest MR3 Gingerbread update.
-somewhat easy to root but not as easy as Revolutionary. On the otherhand, the unroot process is very simple compared to Revolutionary.
-you will need to wipe out the phone/you will be downgraded back to the MR1 update... which then can be updated by manually flashing the MR3 update.

The two root methods basically balance each other out. One is easier to root and one is easier to unroot.

This is what I would do if I were still using MR2 and was thinking about rooting. I would try and use DroidXCons Auto Root method. Its not that hard to use and the unroot process is very simple. If for some reason you're having problems or can't get it figured out... Then use Revolutionary which is very simple to use.

If you don't think the Unroot process for Revolutionary is difficult... then use it. It has some advantages over the other methods. If for some reason you accidently accept an OTA or flash an RUU, you will not lose root. The boatloader is locked tight and the only was to unroot the phone is to follow the guide. With the Auto Root method... if you accept an OTA or flash an RUU, you can run into problems and lose root.

****Again.. this advice is only for if you are still running the MR2 update and have not updated yet to the newer MR3 Gingerbread. DroidXcons Auto Root Method will not work with the Gingerbread update... only Revolutionary will work with the new update. ****

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
As for the radios... you don't need to back them up. You can flash to which ever one you want at any time as long as its compatible with the ROM you're using.

AntiAppel

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
First timer looking to root and I've got a question. I am looking to root mainly just to get the bloatware off of my phone. My question is if I root, do I HAVE to install a ROM, or will the phone work just like it always did, with the exception of having root access?

Edit: Just rooted. Not a single problem. Great guide, I assume it helped a little with all the iPod jailbreaking I've done in the past. Now to spend the next few days finding a good ROM to use.

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
First timer looking to root and I've got a question. I am looking to root mainly just to get the bloatware off of my phone. My question is if I root, do I HAVE to install a ROM, or will the phone work just like it always did, with the exception of having root access?

Edit: Just rooted. Not a single problem. Great guide, I assume it helped a little with all the iPod jailbreaking I've done in the past. Now to spend the next few days finding a good ROM to use.

No... you don't have to install a custom ROM. You can just stay rooted and enjoy the benefits of having root permissions. Free tethering, deleting bloat, making full backups, using apps that require root permission and so on.

I Be Zachh

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I was able to go all the way to step 10, everything worked the same way as the video. However, after pressing Recovery my phone seems to be stuck at the "HTC" loading screen. I've been waiting for at least ten minutes so I assume something messed up. Should I just re-boot and try again?

Edit: Nevermind. It's working now.

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Once rooted and stock I had planned to install CWM and Titanium...backup data and make a nandroid of stock rooted setup. Ok so far?

Next I planned to do a factory reset. Can I do that when rooted or would I lose root?

Finally, I wanted to put the nandroid version back on to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Still need to do more research on how to wipe, clear cache and dalvik cache before trying a custom Rom.

joe_5962

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Want to root and this looks like this easiest way to do it, but what's the HTC driver file for? Don't see anywhere in your procedures about using the HTC Driver?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Want to root and this looks like this easiest way to do it, but what's the HTC driver file for? Don't see anywhere in your procedures about using the HTC Driver?

Its a Windows driver so your computer can communicate with your phone. Its not used during the procedure but is needed for the phone to be recognized by your computer.

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Once rooted and stock I had planned to install CWM and Titanium...backup data and make a nandroid of stock rooted setup. Ok so far?

Next I planned to do a factory reset. Can I do that when rooted or would I lose root?

Finally, I wanted to put the nandroid version back on to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Still need to do more research on how to wipe, clear cache and dalvik cache before trying a custom Rom.

Loaded my first rom the other day. So I have a long ways to go in learning and understanding these processes better.

I dont know if you would lose root after factory reset or not. Even if you do, not like it takes any time to get it back.

If you follow Cyber Warriors http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/77350-guide-how-backup-restore-install-roms-thunderbolt.html#post829084
for learning on how to wipe and clear the caches you will do just fine. I followed it step by step after reading it a few times to make sure I understood it. Worked like a charm!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yea... You wont lose root from a factory reset. Actually flashing ROMs wipes the phone just like a factory reset. Follow the ROM Guide as mentioned above and you will be fine. Its actually pretty simple... Most of the info in the guide is precautionary stuff but still important. Also read the guide thats stickied on backing up apps and data by PaintDrinkingPete.

Gnomicidal

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I was able to go all the way to step 10, everything worked the same way as the video. However, after pressing Recovery my phone seems to be stuck at the "HTC" loading screen. I've been waiting for at least ten minutes so I assume something messed up. Should I just re-boot and try again?

Edit: Nevermind. It's working now.

This is where I'm at right now. It's been at this screen for at least 15 minutes.

Does it usually take this long?

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the problem was that I had the phone on "disk drive" while trying to root instead of "charge only" and instead of typing the key I decided to Copy and paste the key and it worked...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

It sould not take that long. Mine was very quick.
Did you check to see if this fixed it? Might just have to start over and make sure you have charge only selected.

Last edited:

ebeetate

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone. Ive been following this forum for a long time now but I finallly registered today so Im not sure if im posting this in the correct place so im srry if messed up. I tried posting somewhere else but nobody has replied. I rooted my droidx a long time ago and loved it but upgraded to tb. I missed the root but was scared to root the tb because it was so confusing at first. When the Revolutionary root came out I decided to give it a try and it went perfectly the first day. The next day I was unable to download the root apps from the market or browser so I restarted the phone. Then it got stuck on the TB logo. After trying a lot of different things I finially factory reset it. Now when I try to reroot it gives me this messege "waiting on device" but it never recognizes it. Can anyone tell what went wrong. This is my 3rd TB so I called verizon because I still couldnt download anything. They are sending me a droid charge. Is this a mistake and is it easy to root cus ive looked for the drivers to download and cant find them. Please help cus I really want to root one of these phone. If I can fix the TB ill send the charge back if not ill keep the charge.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
At one time I asked if rooting with revolutionary but remaining stock would prevent ota's from being pushed while we sleep. I think the answer was something like "I think so". Does anybody know for sure? I don't want to get an ota while rooted and stock.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone. Ive been following this forum for a long time now but I finallly registered today so Im not sure if im posting this in the correct place so im srry if messed up. I tried posting somewhere else but nobody has replied. I rooted my droidx a long time ago and loved it but upgraded to tb. I missed the root but was scared to root the tb because it was so confusing at first. When the Revolutionary root came out I decided to give it a try and it went perfectly the first day. The next day I was unable to download the root apps from the market or browser so I restarted the phone. Then it got stuck on the TB logo. After trying a lot of different things I finially factory reset it. Now when I try to reroot it gives me this messege "waiting on device" but it never recognizes it. Can anyone tell what went wrong. This is my 3rd TB so I called verizon because I still couldnt download anything. They are sending me a droid charge. Is this a mistake and is it easy to root cus ive looked for the drivers to download and cant find them. Please help cus I really want to root one of these phone. If I can fix the TB ill send the charge back if not ill keep the charge.

It sounds like your computer doesn't have the right drivers installed. Did you download the Windows Driver I linked in the first post?

Xxw0lfxX

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm trying to help a friend out by using this Revolutionary. When opened, we enter the keys, it says thanks for participating, then goes to

Zerging Root... this might take a minute or so

And just sticks there. Any suggestions?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
At one time I asked if rooting with revolutionary but remaining stock would prevent ota's from being pushed while we sleep. I think the answer was something like "I think so". Does anybody know for sure? I don't want to get an ota while rooted and stock.

First paragraph of the unroot guide:
*** The revolutionary method of rooting uses a sneeky hboot exploit and replaces your stock 1.04.0000 or 1.05.0000 bootloader with a modified permanent hboot. It not only gives you all the same fastboot flash abilities as the original engineering bootloader, but it very effectively blocks other hboots from overwriting it. It's good... as you will remain s-off if you accidentally flash a full RUU, or accept an OTA... but makes it a little trickier to remove.***

Not sure what exactly would happen... Never tried it but from what I'm reading, I'm guessing it will still be pushed to the phone but as stated... If you DO accidently accept an OTA or RUU... Nothing bad will happen. The bootloader is locked tight on s-off.

Did you ever read the thread for preventing Verizon from pushing OTAs? There's a way to disable them by renaming the file with Root Explorer. The thread should be floating around somewhere in here. If you can't find it... I'll try later on tonight and see if I can find it for you.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Renaming what file? My last ota did the whole thing by itself with no input from me. I would have no chance to download then change the filename.

I read that paragraph too but the part saying it would make it tricky to remove scared me. Heck, it all scares me so I want to understand THOROUGHLY b4 jumping in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21