[GUIDE] How To Root/Unroot The Thunderbolt with Revolutionary

R3dM0nd

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
k i messed up, i had cm7 on my thunderbolt and since i just gave it to my mom she wanted vvm so i thought ill just go stock she doesnt want root or anything anyways, now she wants it back to how it was, as in cm7, she said she will just no normal voicemail, so how can i root from the latest update

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
k i messed up, i had cm7 on my thunderbolt and since i just gave it to my mom she wanted vvm so i thought ill just go stock she doesnt want root or anything anyways, now she wants it back to how it was, as in cm7, she said she will just no normal voicemail, so how can i root from the latest update

cant yet, gotta wait, I haven't seen any updates from the devs yet...

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Im having issues with my rooted droid. i am using revolutionary CWM v4.0.1.4. woke up this morning with the blue droid and caution symbol in the background. cannot do anything on my phone gives me the followinf options

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data
wipe cache
install zip
backup and restore
mounts and storage
advanced.

Like i said it automatically did this. I am under the assumption revolutionary put out an update of some kind because the screen said update failed this morning. it was looking for an install file from my SD card which is not there. does anyone have any information on this my phone is literally stuck and will not get out of the revolutionary window.

what rom were you running? Was it a stock rooted? Have you tried restoring from a backup?

corn4ahead

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh no, caution symbol and all. Cant even use my phone. Do I have to unroot to use my phone now?

Right now I am not using a rom, will it work if I install a rom on it or is it too late. The OTA downloaded itself.

Last edited:

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm having exactly the same issue as Bwesky. This is pretty scary to a newbie rooter. What's the solution? :'(

Can you get to Clockwork Recovery? Did you make a back up? If so then flash a previous back up, and then flash a custom ROM of some sort to prevent this from happening again.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Oh no, caution symbol and all. Cant even use my phone. Do I have to unroot to use my phone now?

Right now I am not using a rom, will it work if I install a rom on it or is it too late. The OTA downloaded itself.

If you can get into clockwork recovery download a custom ROM of your choice and then wipe everything from CWR, then flash new ROM.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Basic question- how would I get to clockwork recovery?

Hold the power button and the volume down button at the same time, and it will boot into bootloader, then let it set for a few seconds, and use the volume down button to get to recovery, and then go to backup/restore and look for a backup you might have...if you do not have a backup you can follow these instructions. from this post

1. download this on your pc http://www.androidfilehost.com/main...ty-tb-runnymede-r186-signed-121611_005356.zip

2. plug your phone boot into hboot ( hold down vol down and power button until you have reached hboot) if it boots normal take of the battery then put it back in retry.

3. let hboot seat for 10 sec. then hit vol down to highlight recovery and hit power on it to select it

4. In recovery (move with the vol buttons and selct with power) select mounts/storage

5. then select mount usb storage (last bottom option)

6. your pc should now read your sdcard. drag the rom into your sdcard

7.in recovery select unmount

8. now select go back

9. now wipe factory reset when thats done wipe also partition

10. when you wiped both ^ select advanced and wipe dalvik

11. select go back

12. select install zip from sdcard

13. select choose from sdcard

14. hit vol up and select the rom file then hit yes

15. when its done go back and hit reboot system

RPinSC

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
An OTA is trying to update the phone last night, but fails. This is the error: "failed to verify whole-file system" and "signature verification failed". Should I replace Revolt. zip file with the old zip file? The phone is a soft brick right now.
Thanks for any lhelp,
Ron

bwesky

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
So i factory reset my phone a few days ago thinking my issue would be resolved... i was dissapointed when i pulled into work this morning looked at my phone and now my phone is also a brick. i guess i will try the above steps because how much more could they hurt it? i just hope i havnt messed my phone up for good. If there are any rooting gurus can we get a verification of the process please? not that i dont trust the author, but i looked for a couple months before i actually rooted my phone having the impression that i wouldn't have to do this stuff any more. thanks in advance

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
So i factory reset my phone a few days ago thinking my issue would be resolved... i was dissapointed when i pulled into work this morning looked at my phone and now my phone is also a brick. i guess i will try the above steps because how much more could they hurt it? i just hope i havnt messed my phone up for good. If there are any rooting gurus can we get a verification of the process please? not that i dont trust the author, but i looked for a couple months before i actually rooted my phone having the impression that i wouldn't have to do this stuff any more. thanks in advance

if you leave your phone stock rooted, then yes you would have these problems....it is posted every where on the forum, there was even two threads about it that were brought up just after this update came out, and every update I have seen they have come up, and there are dozens of people who have this issue. If you follow the above steps and flash a custom ROM, two things will happen. 1. this will not ever happen again, and 2. your phone will be AWESOME.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
An OTA is trying to update the phone last night, but fails. This is the error: "failed to verify whole-file system" and "signature verification failed". Should I replace Revolt. zip file with the old zip file? The phone is a soft brick right now.
Thanks for any lhelp,
Ron

look here

faenus

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have followed the instructions exactly and when I run Revolutionary after putting in the beta key I get Zerging Root. However after zerging root the program says that the root failed.

What am I doing wrong?

R3dM0nd

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
*update*

-------For those of you that have endured the frustration of updating to the latest software version (2.11.605.9) There is hope! Apparently with this software version, the bootloader is locked. And for some reason this version would not allow the "Revolutionary" rooting method to work. (I would imagine everyone with this problem had issues with not being able to get past Zerg Root. At least that was the problem I had)

Anyways, I got my phone rooted....heres how.

Per the instructions for using Revolutionary, install the driver as stated on their website. (Make sure HTC Sync is not installed on your computer)

Download Mecha_2.11.605.3.zip (I'm a newbie here so I cant post links, but I found it through Android Police but if u google it its easy to find, its hosted on multi upload) rename the zip file as PG05IMG and put on the root of your SD card (as you would in other rooting methods) and run the bootloader.

Once its booted and all that fun waiting is over and your TB powers back up, make sure to turn off all wireless connections to make sure OTA doesnt try to upgrade you. (I turned on airplane mode as soon as I could)

From there run Revolutionary as instructed from their website. Worked like a charm for me, and hope it does for all of you with this same problem.

I TAKE ABSOLUTELY NO CREDIT FOR THIS SOLUTION. Thank you for all you developers out there that make our phones able to be so much cooler and more enjoyable. I'm just glad I could help in this marginal way, and hope that someone will find it usefull. SPREAD THE WORD IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE HAVING THIS PROBLEM --------

Thanks to Grapoidinc over at xda for these instructions, i just this this and now have root again

link to android police for ruu download here Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Reactions: ddmk6

ddmk6

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I just used the method above. Worked like a charm. Once I downgraded from .9 to .5 revolution worked perfectly. So far everything I have checked is working. Thanks to everyone for all of the awesome posts. Merry Christmas everyone.