Do I need root explorer?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm used to astro file manager. Now that I'm rooted do I need root explorer or can I do the same things with astro?

Unrelated but rather than start another newbie thread...when I back up data with Titanium in batch mode it asks (upper left) whether to skip active apps or kill active apps. I didn't like the sound of "kill" so I picked skip but I assume this means I'll be missing some apps and data in my backup?

Thanks!

Last edited:

dr_rick

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
If I recall, Astro didn't have root access or the ability to make the system folders read/write, but I could be wrong. If you're looking for a free option that does many of the same things root explorer does though, look at ES File Explorer. You have to enable root mode and read/write system deep in the settings, but after that it did most everything I needed it to. That said, I've been using root explorer of late.

Not an expert on the second question, but I always tell it to kill an app that is running in order to make a backup. I'm pretty sure it has the same effect as if you manually went in and force-closed the app. I don't think any real harm is done in the process. Enjoy the new world opened up by rooting!

Reactions: recDNA

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
ES is a good alternative to RE. Also look into Total Commander which I think is free for the time being, but I could be mistaken

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
With titanium backup when you select kill active app's it will just shut them down to back them up, it won't cause any harm to your phone or app's and is the only way to backup all user app's.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Yes after any data wiping just download TB from the market and then restore your app's, be very careful and don't restore all system data when going from different roms as this will cause issues.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Good tip. So should I even backup system data?

Its a good idea to backup EVERYTHING. I use "MyBackup Pro" and when I restore, I can pick what I want to restore.....Contacts, SMS, Calendar, System, Home Screen etc. I NEVER restore SYSTEM (unless I have a issue with a ROM I am trying out, but even then I just do a complete wipe and start from scratch).

But, being an old timer computer dude, my rule of thumb, "It is better to back up everything and have the option NOT to restore than not back up everything and risk losing stuff"

Reactions: recDNA

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX