thunderbolt battery life now

jd07bos

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I run CM7 and have no 4G in my area, I get about from 7:30AM when I wake up to bed time most days. But if I use GPS or have the display on bright at all then I wont make it to bed time. This phone blows on stock battery, and if you have LTE then just dont bother

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
On stock I was getting 5 -6 hours, 8 on days where I didn't have time to use my phone much. Up to 14+ hours of battery life after rooting and flashing Synergy. I'd consider myself a heavy user. I'm always reading forums, texting, playing the occasional game, and of course talking on the phone.

Another point, when I was stock I kept the display brightness around 30% to save as much battery as possible. I always hated keeping it dim, but the battery life improved significantly over leaving it on auto. I normally keep it on 50% or higher now.

Wish we had LTE around here. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with 3g. If your in a 4g area your battery is going to suck regardless.

trainplane3

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I was definitly planning on flashing it like an hour after I get it. I remember all of the launch day drama about the battery life and how crap it was. That's the only thing keeping me from going to this phone.

mman609

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Reports on Thunderbolt performance are extremely variable and inconsistent. I don't doubt the short battery life that some have reported. However, my experience has been very satisfying -- given that I'm using a large screen smartphone and not a simple little flip phone of days past. I live in a rural area and have no 4G access, so my use is 3G only. I turn off GPS when its not needed (I certainly know where I am when I'm sitting at my desk). I regularly stream music, both using 3G and wireless. I turn off wireless when I know I'll be out of range for any extended period of time. I watch youtube, autosync, talk, read messages, use Skype and other typical activities, but perhaps I would be considered a light to moderate user by some. After 12 hours, my stock, regular battery still sits at 60-70%. Never have I dropped it below 25% even when new and I played all day. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

anon(255332)

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
With GB, and using Wifi at home and in my office I can make it a whole day on the Stock Battery. At least I did with before I flashed BAMF forever. Now i've had problems with the dialer killing my battery.

I've also found that leaving the GPS on, but not letting any GPS using apps run in the back ground is better for battery life than constantly turing the GPS on and off when I want to use it.

turing the 4G off when you don't need it will help a lot too.

-Tm

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am having really good battery life since the GB update even though there are little minor issues with it LOL. I don't use the 4G because it isn't in my home area. It is available in my work area, but I choose to keep it on 3G and it works fast. I don't want it to toggle between both and it uses more juice that way. I am pleased with the overall performance of the phone. There were some hiccups but they have worked out. Still don't voice message working right but Verizon has given me the visual voice to try out and I really like it and have decided to keep it.
You will like the device. HTC Sense UI is awesome and also this phone takes really good photos.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
May be I?m lucky, but since day one I?ve always had good battery life (whether using the standard or extended battery). I?m not rooted and have always used the latest stock ROM and left LTE enabled (I?ve never noticed any discernable difference in battery whether LTE was on or off in a 3G area). The screen is set to auto brightness with a timeout of 30 seconds, no live wallpaper and just a few active widgets (weather/clock app on the home screen and a couple on other screens). Syncing is minimized to just one Gmail account and the weather app default of every 3 hours (all other app syncing is turned off or on demand). Also, I don?t use any type of battery saver app and keep stand alone GPS and Wi-Fi turned off (never use Wi-Fi anyway, but turn on GPS only as needed, then turn off again). All-in-all, the only time I really experience higher battery drain is when USING the phone a lot, which is to be expected.

Also, contrary to what many others have reported, I'm actually getting slightly better battery life now that LTE has been turned on where I live. I'm thinking because the LTE signal around here is stronger than it was on 3G, so the phone doesn't waste battery trying to hold the signal/connection. Since LTE was turned on this past Thursday morning the phone has NOT dropped a data connection once! I experienced the same back in June when spending a week in Denver, again in strong, full LTE areas. As such, I?m convinced that LTE itself doesn?t cause higher battery drain. It's more about the signal and how much the phone may struggle to hold it and/or switch between LTE/3G/1x.

Last edited:

slimc84

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I am running SOAB 1.0.2 in a 3G area and battery life on the t-bolt isn't bad. I am a light/moderate user and usually have to charge my battery after 10-11hrs, sometimes sooner.

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Turn off GPS and 4G and you'll be fine.

Turning gps off doesn't help anything unless you are using a app that needs GPS, rendering it useless. I would ignore that advice. 4g to 3g makes the biggest difference. I personally carry spare batteries. You can use dial up speeds if you want but I want to use the full force of this thing. Spare batteries on Amazon for $8.

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton