Can you get the OTA if rooted

EvolutionGSR

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
If you used revolutionary to root then I dont believe you will loose root or s-off. I installed the 605.5 RUU over my rooted phone that was running gingersense3d and never lost root or s-off. I did need to reinstall SU though.

I did not lose s-off. I didnt install through ota, i installed a leak that i thought was for rooted phones. I reinstalled superuser, but i think it has something to do wih the su binary. What method did u use to reinstall su?

Did you do the power button/vol down button to check? Or did you just use an app that requires root access and it says you no longer have root or no superuser permission?
I tried to use apps that require superuser.

Last edited:

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
That's a good point but losing a feature I'm used to bothers me more than the bloat. I do agree itbis nice to get rid of it. If cm7 ever becomes official for tbolt,......plus I can freeze any bloat I want to rooted/stock and not lose any features.

I don't see any reason to wait for it to become official, the current build works completely fine for me. I have had probably every build of it since it started, and I rarely ever have any issues. I'll take beta CM7 over stock Sense any day of the week.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I did not lose s-off. I didnt install through ota, i installed a leak that i thought was for rooted phones. I reinstalled superuser, but i think it has something to do wih the su binary. What method did u use to reinstall su?

I tried to use apps that require superuser.

I used Rev. But what I had to do was reinstall Super user. I have the original SU apk file stored on my sd card from Rev and used that. But u also need to re-run recovery from the revolutionary root method. If you dont do that then you will be unable to enter recovery from the bootloader screen. In the utube video it asks you if you want to dowlaod and install recovery and u type y for yes. That's what u need to redo. (On your computer right click on the revolutionary application file, and run as administrator) Follow the directions from there. Just make sure to have the su apk file on your sd card first.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EvolutionGSR

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I used Rev. But what I had to do was reinstall Super user. I have the original SU apk file stored on my sd card from Rev and used that. But u also need to re-run recovery from the revolutionary root method. If you dont do that then you will be unable to enter recovery from the bootloader screen. In the utube video it asks you if you want to dowlaod and install recovery and u type y for yes. That's what u need to redo. (On your computer right click on the revolutionary application file, and run as administrator) Follow the directions from there. Just make sure to have the su apk file on your sd card first.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Thanks but i decided to go the un-root completely (S-on) and just let the verizon OTA update me. Re rooted after that. It was really easy.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
NO BLOAT!!! the fact that normal users who spend $200-$300 on a high end android smartphone and have no interest in rooting can't remove VZ BLOAT or Lets golf 2 is ASININE, with ICS there will no longer be carrier bloatware that cant be removed.

Even with ICS, you can't fully remove it. It basically just removes the icon and stops services but doesn't actually remove the app from the phone.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately there is no way vzw will put an update on the stock phones that enables removal of bloat. They get paid a lot of money to add it and have guaranteed advertisers (that's really what bloat is) that users are stuck with it.

jd07bos

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
well atleast you can remove the icon, my gf has the atrix on att which is a nice phone. And all the bloat can be removed....

leonoe

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks but i decided to go the un-root completely (S-on) and just let the verizon OTA update me. Re rooted after that. It was really easy.

I'm thinking of going the same route... To confirm, did you use Revolutionary to root your TB after the GB 605.5 OTA update? Just want to make sure Revolutionary will still work...