10-31-2011 08:34 AM
29 12
tools
    I am rooted and am running stock, can I still get the OTA update.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    10-25-2011 10:20 PM
    I am rooted and am running stock, can I still get the OTA update.

Simple answer, you really don't want to, but may not have a choice.

A lot of folks rooted but running stock OS have found that their device automatically tries to install the update, leaving their device completely hosed up.

My honest advice? Install a custom ROM now (the better of two choices in my opinion), or unroot your device and restore it back to pre-root condition before that happens.

You may also want to read the FAQ linked in my signature.
    10-25-2011 10:35 PM
    I agree with Paint... unless you have rooted your device just to root your device and left all the bloatware on you device and not really done anything with it, then and only then would the OTA maybe not cause problems, otherwise you will have issues... install a custom ROM is the best solution for this issue.
    10-26-2011 06:17 AM
    Thanks.

10-26-2011 07:12 AM
    I agree with Paint... unless you have rooted your device just to root your device and left all the bloatware on you device and not really done anything with it, then and only then would the OTA maybe not cause problems, otherwise you will have issues... install a custom ROM is the best solution for this issue.
    Agreed. If you've already rooted, there's really no reason not to install a custom rom.
    10-26-2011 08:01 AM
    You can also go and install the update yourself before vzw tries to push it to your phone.
    10-26-2011 08:24 AM
    I have installed the rooted version of the 605.5 update. Still stock rooted. Will vzw still try to push the update I've already installed (in rooted version)?
    10-26-2011 08:51 AM
    I just intalled the GB updTe on a rooted phone and lost root. Was that supposed to happen? Im on the revolutionary root. I think it said something about not finding th su binary? Anyone know how i grt it back?
    10-26-2011 12:49 PM
    I have installed the rooted version of the 605.5 update. Still stock rooted. Will vzw still try to push the update I've already installed (in rooted version)?
    No, vzw will not push you the update. You're good!
    recDNA likes this.
    10-26-2011 12:59 PM
    *shakes head*

IF YOU INSTALL OTA YOU WILL LOOSE ROOT
    10-26-2011 02:34 PM
    Are you talking to me?
    I installed the rooted version of the update already
    10-26-2011 02:39 PM
    *shakes head*

IF YOU INSTALL OTA YOU WILL LOOSE ROOT
    If you used revolutionary to root then I dont believe you will loose root or s-off. I installed the 605.5 RUU over my rooted phone that was running gingersense3d and never lost root or s-off. I did need to reinstall SU though.
    10-26-2011 02:50 PM
    I just intalled the GB updTe on a rooted phone and lost root. Was that supposed to happen? Im on the revolutionary root. I think it said something about not finding th su binary? Anyone know how i grt it back?

this dude
    10-26-2011 02:53 PM
    Cyber warrior might know what to do. I'd help him out if I knew the answer
    10-26-2011 02:59 PM
    Did you do the power button/vol down button to check? Or did you just use an app that requires root access and it says you no longer have root or no superuser permission?
    10-26-2011 02:59 PM
    I see no reason why anyone rooted would still want to be stock. I'm waiting for a ICS rom.
    Comineeyeaha likes this.
    10-26-2011 03:30 PM
    Cant wait for ICS
    10-26-2011 03:36 PM
    What is ics biggest new feature?
    10-26-2011 03:40 PM
    What is ics biggest new feature?
    NO BLOAT!!! the fact that normal users who spend $200-$300 on a high end android smartphone and have no interest in rooting can't remove VZ BLOAT or Lets golf 2 is ASININE, with ICS there will no longer be carrier bloatware that cant be removed.
    10-26-2011 04:15 PM
    NO BLOAT!!! the fact that normal users who spend $200-$300 on a high end android smartphone and have no interest in rooting can't remove VZ BLOAT or Lets golf 2 is ASININE, with ICS there will no longer be carrier bloatware that cant be removed.
    That's a good point but losing a feature I'm used to bothers me more than the bloat. I do agree itbis nice to get rid of it. If cm7 ever becomes official for tbolt,......plus I can freeze any bloat I want to rooted/stock and not lose any features.
    10-26-2011 04:31 PM
    If you used revolutionary to root then I dont believe you will loose root or s-off. I installed the 605.5 RUU over my rooted phone that was running gingersense3d and never lost root or s-off. I did need to reinstall SU though.
    I did not lose s-off. I didnt install through ota, i installed a leak that i thought was for rooted phones. I reinstalled superuser, but i think it has something to do wih the su binary. What method did u use to reinstall su?

Did you do the power button/vol down button to check? Or did you just use an app that requires root access and it says you no longer have root or no superuser permission?
    I tried to use apps that require superuser.
    10-26-2011 05:56 PM
    That's a good point but losing a feature I'm used to bothers me more than the bloat. I do agree itbis nice to get rid of it. If cm7 ever becomes official for tbolt,......plus I can freeze any bloat I want to rooted/stock and not lose any features.
    I don't see any reason to wait for it to become official, the current build works completely fine for me. I have had probably every build of it since it started, and I rarely ever have any issues. I'll take beta CM7 over stock Sense any day of the week.
    10-26-2011 10:45 PM
    I did not lose s-off. I didnt install through ota, i installed a leak that i thought was for rooted phones. I reinstalled superuser, but i think it has something to do wih the su binary. What method did u use to reinstall su?

I tried to use apps that require superuser.
    I used Rev. But what I had to do was reinstall Super user. I have the original SU apk file stored on my sd card from Rev and used that. But u also need to re-run recovery from the revolutionary root method. If you dont do that then you will be unable to enter recovery from the bootloader screen. In the utube video it asks you if you want to dowlaod and install recovery and u type y for yes. That's what u need to redo. (On your computer right click on the revolutionary application file, and run as administrator) Follow the directions from there. Just make sure to have the su apk file on your sd card first.

10-26-2011 11:48 PM
    I used Rev. But what I had to do was reinstall Super user. I have the original SU apk file stored on my sd card from Rev and used that. But u also need to re-run recovery from the revolutionary root method. If you dont do that then you will be unable to enter recovery from the bootloader screen. In the utube video it asks you if you want to dowlaod and install recovery and u type y for yes. That's what u need to redo. (On your computer right click on the revolutionary application file, and run as administrator) Follow the directions from there. Just make sure to have the su apk file on your sd card first.

Thanks but i decided to go the un-root completely (S-on) and just let the verizon OTA update me. Re rooted after that. It was really easy.
    10-27-2011 01:34 AM
    Even with ICS, you can't fully remove it. It basically just removes the icon and stops services but doesn't actually remove the app from the phone.
    10-27-2011 07:18 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD