HELP! My Phoen Keeps Trying to Update When I Turn It On

nycz_illest

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
So I rooted my Thunderbolt to the latest Gingerbread ROM. It went smooth and has worked for the past 3 weeks or so. Last night, I saw my phone restart and it was trying to download something (a newer software update maybe?). I got an error (because I am rooted). So I had to pull the battery and turn it on again. Unlike the previous OTA updates, this one does it as soon as the phone starts and refreshes, so I basically cant use my phone anymore because no matter what it will try to update, and since I am rooted, I will always get an error and have to pull my battery.

Is there an updated root to get rid of this update? Any help, PLEASE!

Reactions: Alma

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Not knowing the GB ROM your running I would recommend flashing a newer version like a BAMF forever or any of the other listed in this forum. BAMF forever is one of the most stable and has everything working just like stock or better.

Reactions: Alma

nycz_illest

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
This is the version I used: Gingerbread 2.11.605.2 RUU Build.

I'm not all that familiar with ROMs, so I do not know what BAMF Forever is, so I don't know which is newer than the other. So, is BAMF Forever the same process as rooting?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

nycz_illest

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Not to sound like a jerk, but if there is a new OTA that was pushing me to download it last night, wouldn't it make these ROMs already out of date and thus, I would be flashing for no reason?

Jett2314

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Not to sound like a jerk, but if there is a new OTA that was pushing me to download it last night, wouldn't it make these ROMs already out of date and thus, I would be flashing for no reason?

The Roms out there are based off of this update. The update you are receiving is what we have had for months now. You sound like you still have root. I would download a custom Rom and put it on your sd card and flash it using clock work mod recovery. check out teambamf.net for some of their Roms. I am running BAMF forever 1.0.9 and it is smooth.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
almost always the custom roms will be based off an updated build way before Verizon will have it pushed. And most of those bugs in the new builds have been fixed by the developers so in my eyes there many build ahead of Verizon.

nycz_illest

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The Roms out there are based off of this update. The update you are receiving is what we have had for months now. You sound like you still have root. I would download a custom Rom and put it on your sd card and flash it using clock work mod recovery. check out teambamf.net for some of their Roms. I am running BAMF forever 1.0.9 and it is smooth.

Ditto, flash cm7 or bamf. I have had gingerbread since July man

Sent via Tapatalk via Thunderbolt

Thanks guys. I have found the BAMF Forever 1.0.9 and will try to flash it tonight. This is day 2 of not having a working phone! It sucks.

But actually, I was receiving those annoying updates left and right a month ago, which is why i flashed to what I have now. So I am assuming there is a reissue of the OTA software. Which is why I was thinking that if I root and flash this again, I'd be wasting my time. So I was just being inquisitive to know before I do anything extra to waste my time.

I'm new to the ROM thing and flashing and rooting and all that. I just wanted to get rid of the bloatware and have a cleaner phone, so that's why I rooted. Not to have custom themes or anything.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys. I have found the BAMF Forever 1.0.9 and will try to flash it tonight. This is day 2 of not having a working phone! It sucks.

But actually, I was receiving those annoying updates left and right a month ago, which is why i flashed to what I have now. So I am assuming there is a reissue of the OTA software. Which is why I was thinking that if I root and flash this again, I'd be wasting my time. So I was just being inquisitive to know before I do anything extra to waste my time.

I'm new to the ROM thing and flashing and rooting and all that. I just wanted to get rid of the bloatware and have a cleaner phone, so that's why I rooted. Not to have custom themes or anything.

First, just as a heads up, version 1.0.9 is just a patch, so you actually have to install 1.0.8 first, if you're going the BAMF Forever route (which I also recommend).

BAMF Forever, like any other "custom" ROM won't have this problem in the future. Only "STOCK" roms, such as the one you installed before, will be prompted to update when Verizon pushes it. ROMs like BAMF or Gingeritis or CM7 will never be prompted for Verizon updates.

Remember, part of rooting is staying vigilant and managing your own updates.

nycz_illest

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
First, just as a heads up, version 1.0.9 is just a patch, so you actually have to install 1.0.8 first, if you're going the BAMF Forever route (which I also recommend).

BAMF Forever, like any other "custom" ROM won't have this problem in the future. Only "STOCK" roms, such as the one you installed before, will be prompted to update when Verizon pushes it. ROMs like BAMF or Gingeritis or CM7 will never be prompted for Verizon updates.

Remember, part of rooting is staying vigilant and managing your own updates.

Ahhh, NOW I understand! Now this makes sense to me when you explained the "custom" vs. "official". Ok, I think I finally get it.

And thanks for the heads up of the 1.0.8. I will do that tonight. I'm actually excited now to flash it.

nycz_illest

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
To stop the OTA go to your bootloader and clear your cache. Then reboot. This while cause it to error.

If you really want to keep sense you can now flash the sense OTA on your rooted TB.

This is what i plan on doing tonight... or maybe i'll switch to BAMF...

[ROM][FLASHABLE] 2.11.605.5 Debloat Rooted - RootzWiki

Thank you for this piece of information! I will keep that in mind for if/when that ever happens again.

And thanks for the link to the Flash. That is exactly what I needed...but it's too late because I already flashed the BAMF Forever. Although it is slightly different and I didn't like it at first, I am starting to take a liking to it in the past couple of days. I really just wanted the same format without the bloat, but BAMF Forever has some great tweaks to it. I feel like I got a new phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith