I rooted my thunderbolt and moved a few of the apps to my SD card (email, blockbuster). It has been working fine, but now I get a white exclamation mark with a little blue android guy. I have rebooted it and come on like normal, but after a few seconds it automatically shuts off. This is the first time I have rooted a phone. Thanks in advance.
    10-30-2011 08:27 AM
    I rooted my thunderbolt and moved a few of the apps to my SD card (email, blockbuster). It has been working fine, but now I get a white exclamation mark with a little blue android guy. I have rebooted it and come on like normal, but after a few seconds it automatically shuts off. This is the first time I have rooted a phone. Thanks in advance.
    Hit the soft keys, until you get to recovery. Clear cache.
    10-30-2011 08:29 AM
    wipe cache partition?
    10-30-2011 08:30 AM
    i'm sorry, i am pretty new to this.
    10-30-2011 08:31 AM
    Is it Wipe Dalvik Cache?
    10-30-2011 08:44 AM
    I'd wipe both the cache partition and the Dalvik cache... then try it again.
    10-30-2011 09:06 AM
    I did just that and now get an error stating:
    Update Failed
    Source: Verizon WIreless
    Name: 2.11.605.5
    Update Time: 15 min
    Size: 146.369 MB
    Description: This software update includes ... lost it

Now says Software update... with countdown and went away.
    10-30-2011 09:13 AM
    It is downloading firmware now
    10-30-2011 09:14 AM
    The phone is on now and seems to be fine, just downloading that firmware now. Is there something I can do to avoid this in the future, or should I just do this each time. From reading, it seems to happen when the phone tries to do its regular updates, but because it is rooted it fails. Is that right?
    10-30-2011 09:15 AM
    The phone is on now and seems to be fine, just downloading that firmware now. Is there something I can do to avoid this in the future, or should I just do this each time. From reading, it seems to happen when the phone tries to do its regular updates, but because it is rooted it fails. Is that right?
    I'm guessing since you did not give us much information... but Rooting your device does not stop OTA updates... and the reason you actually Rooted your device, maybe removing Bloatware??? If the OTA can not find all the Bloatware it can cause the update to fail.

The best way to stop OTA updates is to load a custom ROM!!! If you like HTC's Sense ROM, then your best option is load BAMF Forever ROM, currently they are up to 1.0.9, which is actually a patch to 1.0.8... so you'd need to load 1.0.8, then install the patch.

****EDIT: If you are going to consider flashing a ROM, then this is the way to do it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/thu...underbolt.html
    rkovatch likes this.
    10-30-2011 09:26 AM
    Thanks. I did root the phone to only remove bloatware. Once the phone finished downloading the firmware, I go the same exclamation and blue android. I rebooted and got the same error also:
    Update Failed

I will install the BAMF Forever ROM using your guide and go from there.
    10-30-2011 09:51 AM
    I'd wipe both the cache partition and the Dalvik cache... then try it again.

No need to do Dalvik. FYI.
    10-30-2011 11:37 AM
    Thanks. I did root the phone to only remove bloatware. Once the phone finished downloading the firmware, I go the same exclamation and blue android. I rebooted and got the same error also:
    Update Failed

I will install the BAMF Forever ROM using your guide and go from there.
    Best decision you made, today.
    10-30-2011 11:38 AM
    Once phone reboots and you get to the screen with the exclamation mark and a blue Android, hit the screen and it brings you into the recovery screen. Clear the cache and reboot. I needed to go through the step to install CWM and then once done, I just installed the 605.5 release ROM.
    10-31-2011 08:27 PM
    I rooted my GF's TB 2 weeks ago, and shes just now got this blue droid guy. Can anyone give me a step by step on how to clear cache and fix this? I'll have to walk her through it. She isnt running any roms, just wanted to root for wifi tether.
    12-22-2011 10:51 AM
    I rooted my GF's TB 2 weeks ago, and shes just now got this blue droid guy. Can anyone give me a step by step on how to clear cache and fix this? I'll have to walk her through it. She isnt running any roms, just wanted to root for wifi tether.
    Assuming you actually have Recovery loaded on your your GF's TB... power off her device... you might need to pull the battery... then hold down the Volume Down button, then press and hold the Power button, after about 5-10 seconds you will boot up in a white screen called a hboot screen.. you need to read the screen on how to select items on the screen, select Recovery... once it's in the Recovery app, then select Wipe Cache... after it's done then select reboot.
    Bosgarage57 likes this.
    12-22-2011 11:15 AM
    Oh ok, will I need to flash a new rom, or will it want to keep updating to the new update?

EDIT: Thank you Fatboy, seems to have worked.
    12-22-2011 11:29 AM
    Oh ok, will I need to flash a new rom, or will it want to keep updating to the new update?

EDIT: Thank you Fatboy, seems to have worked.
    You either have to keep up flashing new mods that VZW are releasing after some work by XDA or others to get a rooted clean version, or flash a custom ROM... my recommendation is to flash a custom ROM if you really want to keep it from getting those OTA notifications.

If you like the Sense ROM, then BAMF Forever is the best I've seen... and if you like that I'd go with 1.0.8 and then use the patch to upgrade to 1.0.9. CM7.1.1 and Liquid Smooth are the both very good AOSP ROMs... basically AOSP ROMs are as close to basic Android as you can get with only a few custom add on's. All of these are very good custom ROMs and ROMs I've used and like a lot over the past couple months.
    12-22-2011 01:13 PM
    Hey guys I loaded bamf 1.04 onto her tv. But nothing transgress over no contacts no downloaded apps just like a new phone. Was things suppose to transfer over?
    12-23-2011 05:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD