Latest update with root?

dvorak

May 24, 2010
Visit site
FYI my phone is rooted.
I got the OTA today but when my phone reboots into Clockwork Recovery it won't install it.
Then i tried this: [Rom][Rooted] 2.11.605.5 Full Stock - RootzWiki
Now when i boot everything gets a crash notification straight up and nothing works at all.
Luckily i backed everything up with Clockwork before i tried it.
So how do i acquire this new update with root intact, preferably without wiping my phone.

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
I'm not sure if that is the same one I tried the first time, but I had problems with one I got from rootzWiki. I would go to XDA Developers and look for Ginger_BreadRock_V2.6_(2.11.605.5). That's the one I ended up installing and it works just fine. The one I had from the last release was also a Ginger_BreadRock version and it worked well too. It's the stock ROM, just rooted, DEODEXED, and aligned, whatever that means...lol! Anyway, the one I got from RootzWiki was over debloated. The Ginger_Bread Rock version still has bloat in it, but that was fine...I'd rather take the time to debloat myself than load a ROM that is missing important things.

Oh yeah, I just install rooted versions of the stock ROM's and so far I have not wiped. Should I? Maybe. Reason I don't is so far I have not had any problems related to not wiping and I have a trade application that I can't set up myself if it gets wiped and reloaded. That alone keeps me from wiping because the thought of having to go get that going or call tech support is enough to make me crazy...lol!

Last edited:
Reactions: dvorak

qcman29

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I am new to the forums, and I do however understand how to root Tbolt using Revolutionary. I do however have a question about after rooting. I currently have the ota gingerbread update. I have been considering rooting for several months, but cannot find the answer I'm looking for.

If you root your phone, do you need to install a custom rom immediately, or can you use the one that is already on the phone? I don't want to jump to installing rom's without experimenting more with a rooted phone. I know there are some great rom's out there, but being shortly after the recent ota update, I'm sure there are going to be many perfected ones in the weeks to come.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I am new to the forums, and I do however understand how to root Tbolt using Revolutionary. I do however have a question about after rooting. I currently have the ota gingerbread update. I have been considering rooting for several months, but cannot find the answer I'm looking for.

If you root your phone, do you need to install a custom rom immediately, or can you use the one that is already on the phone? I don't want to jump to installing rom's without experimenting more with a rooted phone. I know there are some great rom's out there, but being shortly after the recent ota update, I'm sure there are going to be many perfected ones in the weeks to come.

Simple answer......yes u can use the OTA and the be rooted. That's what I did after ota.....it was about a week before I flashed to Bamf

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

irocroe

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have some questions. I rooted and I did get the OTA of GB. How do I prevent automatic updates from hitting the phone? How do I get the cool stuff on the phone? Trying to learn but I don't want to brick the phone. I remember doing that to my blackberry and getting it back up and running. Very time consuming... Thanks for all help..:confused:

shadowpunx

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I have some questions. I rooted and I did get the OTA of GB. How do I prevent automatic updates from hitting the phone? How do I get the cool stuff on the phone? Trying to learn but I don't want to brick the phone. I remember doing that to my blackberry and getting it back up and running. Very time consuming... Thanks for all help..:confused:

Head over to bamf forums to get the latest bamf forever, download 1.08 and 1.09 which is just a patch, use titanium backup to backup your user apps. Reboot to recovery, make a backup. Wipe everything..user/cache/dalvik cache.Choose the bamf1.08 from your sdcard and install. Then flash 1.09, and bam(f) your awesome now

You should have killed me, when you had the chance

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

If you like the stock GB and rooted just to get rid of bloat and/or use the cool apps, you can disable OTA updates. Go to /etc/security and rename OTACERTS.ZIP to something like OTACERTS.ZIP.BAK. I used the program root explorer to do this.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk