Volume button controll question

jaguarpaw

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Looking to find a rom or mod that lets me change song tracks by long pressing the + or - volume keys like how blackberrys work. anyone know if this exists for android? thanks. --currently running bamf 1.0.7

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Looking to find a rom or mod that lets me change song tracks by long pressing the + or - volume keys like how blackberrys work. anyone know if this exists for android? thanks. --currently running bamf 1.0.7
option 1) CM7 ROM
CM7 (unofficial, of course) will allow this. used it for a while--kind of a nice feature. Below is the most recent 11/2 CM7 (unofficial) release.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/823-rom-unofficial-cyanogenmod-7-237-builds-updated-110111-1130-am-est/

just for covering the obvious--this ROM is AOSP, so you lose all Sense features you might love in BAMF. it uses ADW launcher.

option 2) change your Keychar layout
you need to change the system command for these Volume keys
open up your Root file explorer & change the system to Read/Write--
navigate to System>usr>keylayout>mecha-keypad-vo.kl
and
System>user>keylayout>mecha-keypad.kl
open each in text editor by long pressing the file--
Look for the line "VOLUME_UP" and replace "WAKE" with "MEDIA_NEXT"
then, on "VOLUME_DOWN",replace command "WAKE" with "MEDIA_PREVIOUS"
hit menu>save & exit>a backup of the original will be saved for safety reasons
reboot the phone after performing the change to both files (mecha-keypad-vo.kl & mecha-keypad.kl)

*(note--this also removes your ability to change the VOLUME higher or lower using these keys--i'm just showing you all options)

*this process can also be used to remove "Wake" from the Volume keys so that you can stop the device from turning on the screen when you press Volume Up or Volume Down. Simply remove the word "Wake" from each Volume Key & save/exit/reboot.

option 3) media app 'Astro Player'
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.astroplayer&feature=search_result
user testimony, "The astro player in the market works great for this. if you quickly press the volume buttons the volume changes and long hold changes track. i have the free version and i know the paid one has this also."

Last edited:
Reactions: jaguarpaw

jaguarpaw

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
hmm followed instructions for step two.. it seemed to work because the volume and no longer be increased or decreased by using the volume rocker. however it will still not go to next track or previous track.. just seemed to disable wake and volume increase/decrease functions....

astro player reviews are a little scary. not sure i want to go w/ that option. perhaps cm7 but seems a little extreme just to get this one feature. this feature should be stock imo... also why would it disable the volume up and down? it should be - long press up = next track.. quickpress up = increase volume or wake up if phone is sleeping.... just like how blackberry works... i find it odd that android doesnt have this..

Last edited:

jaguarpaw

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
its advertised that it does but i do not think it works.. i was running gingervitis for that very reason but could not get it to work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz