I really want to root my phone but I'm like really scared to. I got the thunderbolt when it first came out. And I hear when you root your phone faster you can do and change so much on it

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    12-29-2011 09:45 PM
    There is a newer and much easier method of rooting the TBolt than when it first released. I don't own the TBolt but from my understanding its much easier to do...
    [GUIDE] How To Root/Unroot The Thunderbolt with Revolutionary

Rooting will allow a new world of options if you choose to explore them from custom ROMs to simple things like backup of your device in case of the unforeseen problems.

We have a great forum here full of support, take your time to learn and understand some of the terms and tools used and I think you will have great success.
    12-29-2011 09:52 PM
    There is a newer and much easier method of rooting the TBolt than when it first released. I don't own the TBolt but from my understanding its much easier to...
    The easy method you refer to is Revolutionary. It cannot yet be used on a Thunderbolt with the latest OTA (605.9). Perhaps sometime in the future that will change.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk
    Paul627g likes this.
    12-29-2011 10:26 PM
    The easy method you refer to is Revolutionary. It cannot yet be used on a Thunderbolt with the latest OTA (605.9). Perhaps sometime in the future that will change.

-Frank

Thanks Frank... Just going off what I see, so if drummerman is still on a previous official stock build they can use Revolutionary and then flash into a new custom ROM based on the new official build. Correct ?
    12-29-2011 10:29 PM
    Thanks Frank... Just going off what I see, so if drummerman is still on a previous official stock build they can use Revolutionary and then flash into a new custom ROM based on the new official build. Correct ?
    Correct.

-Frank

12-29-2011 11:08 PM
    Revolutionary is a great and easy way to get root on the Tbolt. Then download ROM Manager, and you will have access to some great ROM's. CyanogenMod 7...Liquid ROM's...BAMF. These are great ROM's for the Tbolt.

May The Schwartz Be With You
    12-29-2011 11:33 PM
    Contact upstreamiami

Upstreammiami likes this.
    12-30-2011 02:53 AM
    I also purchased the Thunderbolt when it was first released....I also was afraid to root, but the Revolutionary method is brilliant and very easy to follow. Just follow the step by step instructions in the forum and you cant go wrong. Ive been rooted since July and its the greatest experience! The best reasons are this...Removed all bloatware...and my stock battery lasts approx 30 + hours between charges!!! Have fun and read other forums before making your decision...teambamf.net is great as well as this forum.
    12-30-2011 12:32 PM
    I also purchased the Thunderbolt when it was first released....I also was afraid to root, but the Revolutionary method is brilliant and very easy to follow. Just follow the step by step instructions in the forum and you cant go wrong. Ive been rooted since July and its the greatest experience! The best reasons are this...Removed all bloatware...and my stock battery lasts approx 30 + hours between charges!!! Have fun and read other forums before making your decision...teambamf.net is great as well as this forum.
    jeez louise!!! I'm gonna do it, just keep it up guys!!!
    12-30-2011 12:42 PM
    i too am with a thunderbolt from the day it came out, rooted not long ago, and i'm running sense 3.0 and i can honestly say that the phone is definitely running faster then when it was stock with sense 2.1.
    (well, I will be honest again, I'm also running a custom kernal, this one by ziggy, which helps makes the phone snappier)

Frank is really on top of things and is correct, you will only be able to use Revolutionary if you didn't upgrade with the latest OTA that takes you to .9. And if you did OTA, then you can still root with Revolutionary, you just simply have to downgrade from .9 to .5 first (will wipe your device).

Once you root, you cannot go back. Let me clarify... it's not that you cant go back, you will not want to go back :-D
    johnriii likes this.
    12-30-2011 02:01 PM
    What if I do have the latest software update?

12-30-2011 02:43 PM
    What if I do have the latest software update?

you can follow this link, it will take you to post #140 : http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ml#post1497859

there you will see UpStreamMiami's post with the link that will take you to the previous build (the one before the OTA, Over-The-Air update).
    You can click the link and you will see where you can download the file. Just follow their instructions, such as renaming the file, and where to put it (the root of your sd card, not in any folder).

This will wipe all your data. you can use MyBackUp to back up all your apps, calendars, sms, mms etc, though it will not backup your apps data - not until you are rooted.

once you do the above, you will then run revolutionary. Watch This:

He does a good job explaining the steps to take to gain root.

After you've gained root, you can then load custom roms. If you want to load custom roms, you will need to wipe all 3, cache partition, dalvik cache and factory reset in recovery (looks like Dos in cyan).

hope that helps some.

EDIT: you will want to load a custom rom, since this will help avoid any attempt of an OTA ruining your root. E.G. once rooted with revolutionary, you will be on .5 still, and verizon will automatically send out an OTA to go up to .9 - DO NOT!! DO NOT upgrade with the OTA! put your phone on airplane mode or turn off the radio with LTE on/off app. good luck to you.
    12-30-2011 03:06 PM
    The increased battery life after rooting is a huge draw for me.

Just need the time to figure everything out. Im lost when it comes to the whole root deal.
    12-31-2011 01:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD