Can't root warranty replacement TB?

mattsican#AC

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I had to get a replacement TB after the power button on mine quit working... I was back to stock on it, but had rooted it in the past using the revolutionary root method. I decided i wanted to try out some roms on my replacement phone so i went to root it via revolutionary and it failed. it stopped on the part right after i typed in the beta key and said "failed to gain root"... I noticed when i start in recovery in blue letters it says "*locked*". On my original TB i checked and it doesnt say that at the top. It never did that i can remember.. so my question is why is the revolutionary not working, and what steps do i need to take to get this thing rooted so i can dork out on some custom roms? thanks in advance..

mattsican#AC

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Also a quick follow up... On my original i was stock without root and was able to update with the last OTA verizon sent out. i did a factory reset also. is there anything else i should do before i send it back to verizon?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I had to get a replacement TB after the power button on mine quit working... I was back to stock on it, but had rooted it in the past using the revolutionary root method. I decided i wanted to try out some roms on my replacement phone so i went to root it via revolutionary and it failed. it stopped on the part right after i typed in the beta key and said "failed to gain root"... I noticed when i start in recovery in blue letters it says "*locked*". On my original TB i checked and it doesnt say that at the top. It never did that i can remember.. so my question is why is the revolutionary not working, and what steps do i need to take to get this thing rooted so i can dork out on some custom roms? thanks in advance..
The Revolutionary method will not work with the new TBolt software (i.e. 2.11.605.9).

-Frank

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If I unlock via the htcdev.com tool, then downgrade will i be able to root, then install a rom before it tried to update and gives me angry lloyd?

Are you talking about using THIS?. I have heard that it won't make the bootloader go from S-ON to S-OFF.

I think the best method is to use the ADB method (look on the STICKIED threads above. Once you get it unlocked, the proceed as normal.

I don't know if this will work, but have you tried downloading an older RUU and flashing it that way.....that will get you the older OTA and then you can use Revolutionary from there.

Again, I don't know if that will work, but just thought of it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
If I unlock via the htcdev.com tool, then downgrade will i be able to root, then install a rom before it tried to update and gives me angry lloyd?

You probably don't want to do that.

I believe there is a method floating around here that has you downgrade the OS version, and run the Revolutionary method after that. Sorry I can't be more help, but I rooted my device back in April before any of this was necessary.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes look in the stickies the revolutionary thread...its the last few pages of it..

sent from my infected thunderbolt

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Also a quick follow up... On my original i was stock without root and was able to update with the last OTA verizon sent out. i did a factory reset also. is there anything else i should do before i send it back to verizon?

No that should be it....

sent from my infected thunderbolt

mattsican#AC

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
okay so i got modivated and just decided to go for it... i got it unlocked. I download the older firmware so i could use the revolutionary method to get S-OFF... the problem im running into now is that i renamed the file PG05IMG.zip like i always have in the past and when i go into load it int he bootloader, it scans the file then never actually installs it... it dumps me to the main screen where i can either select "fastboot, recovery,factory reset, simlock, hboot usb and image crc". I tried using an old version of PG05IMG.zip i had saved from when i returned my old phone to stock and it did the same thing. I can see it scanning the file and it goes through the normal process but never asks to install it... any ideas?

Psykonate

Mar 21, 2011
www.insidenathanshead.com
okay so i got modivated and just decided to go for it... i got it unlocked. I download the older firmware so i could use the revolutionary method to get S-OFF... the problem im running into now is that i renamed the file PG05IMG.zip like i always have in the past and when i go into load it int he bootloader, it scans the file then never actually installs it... it dumps me to the main screen where i can either select "fastboot, recovery,factory reset, simlock, hboot usb and image crc". I tried using an old version of PG05IMG.zip i had saved from when i returned my old phone to stock and it did the same thing. I can see it scanning the file and it goes through the normal process but never asks to install it... any ideas?

Make sure the file is in the root of your SD card and not under downloads. When you use a file explorer and you click SD card, it should be in that list of files and folders not any subfolders.

Don't be jealous, you can have Gingeritis 3D too!

mattsican#AC

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Make sure the file is in the root of your SD card and not under downloads. When you use a file explorer and you click SD card, it should be in that list of files and folders not any subfolders.

Don't be jealous, you can have Gingeritis 3D too!

It is. I made sure of that. I didn't notice until I watched it but it says it can't load the image before it kicked me back to the menu. The part that is frustrating and confusing is that I've done this several times before on my old phone. I'm by no means anything close to an expert but on my old phone I was able to root, debloat, then return to stock and everything due to Verizon Otas then reroot etc no problems. Something about this new phone is screwing with the process. The first time I rooted back last march I used a guide to do it in ADB. I've been using revolutionary since it came out just because it was was easier and faster. Is there a guide that will work with this new Verizon BS that I can do manually? This started off as something to do so I could finally try using some roms and just generally dork around with it... now its just getting personal and I'm determined to make this work now out of principal. Haha. Thanks again for everyones help.

mattsican#AC

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I have also tried reformatting a different SD card with FAT32 and loading the file on and it still says "wrong image"... ive downloaded it 5 or 6 different times, ive tried other files for downgrade, im 100% sure its on the root of the sd card, i know its named correctly... and still wont work. im running out of ideas.

mattsican#AC

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
***UPDATE***

I had unlocked using the HTCDev unlock tool on their website... after trying everything above, i decided to use to the tool to relock it using the tool... after going back into bootloader it loaded the file and appears to be installing the downgrade.. this is good news i assume. im going to try revolutionary again after this loads to get S-OFF... so if this works i'll let everyone know. Maybe this would be helpful to other people??

pwoznic

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping someone can provide some advice. I never drop any of my cell phones and sure enough, I just dropped my TB a few min ago and the screen is very badly cracked. I initially bought it through Best Buy at launch and bought their replacement program.... but I'm rooted.. I used the auto-root method that was posted back at launch.... I am assuming that I have to restore the initial backup that I made last year, put back/rename the bloatware, and run unroot? I'm so confused and pissed. grrr

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Is the phone usable? With the screen as cracked as it is. If not then don't worry, if it is, I would look inti the new all in one tool in the stickies section.

sent from my Thundershed Thunderbolt

Reactions: trter10-imore

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie