I have been toying with the idea of rooting for a while. My only problem is I like my TB the way it is I just want to get rid of some of the bloat and add wireless hotspot. My question if I root will I have to flash a rom to have sense? Or if I root now will I have my phone with sense or will it go to vanilla? I know I will have to backup etc. Any help would be appreciated.
    02-14-2012 11:05 AM
    I have been toying with the idea of rooting for a while. My only problem is I like my TB the way it is I just want to get rid of some of the bloat and add wireless hotspot. My question if I root will I have to flash a rom to have sense? Or if I root now will I have my phone with sense or will it go to vanilla? I know I will have to backup etc. Any help would be appreciated.
    there are some stickies on the home page but I will give you my view.

If you root you won't lose your Verizon installed OS...you will just be able to do more things (some good and some dangerous if you don't know what you are doing).

There are many ROMS out there that are SENSE base. Here is a brief list (these are the ones I have used, there are more)

BAMF Forever 1.06, 1.07, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 1.11
    BAMF SoaB (Son of a Bliss) 1.04
    BAMF Cubed (latest)
    Gingeristis 3D 1.1, 1.2
    Infected Eternity ROM (sense 3.5 w/beats audio)
    IKream (my current ROM I am using).

Keep in mind, different ROMS get rid of a lot of bloatware, all bloatware or a little bloatware. Look for something in the descrition that says "De-bloated".

I would download MyBackUp Pro to backup everything. A lot of people use Titanium Backup also which is good, but I prefer MyBackUp.
    02-14-2012 11:35 AM
    Where would one fond the infected ROM? Is it in cwm ROM manager? I've been wanting to try it.

Sent from Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.
    02-14-2012 11:57 AM
    Where would one fond the infected ROM? Is it in cwm ROM manager? I've been wanting to try it.

Sent from Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.
    It isn't on the CWM nightly's

You can get it here:

☆ ★ | ROM | InfectedROM Eternity TB| NIGHTLYS | Sense 3.5 | XE BEATS AUDIO | ★ ☆ - xda-developers
    02-14-2012 01:37 PM
    I just rooted last Friday night, I used the Revolutionary method (see guide in forums). It was relatively easy, it did require a down grade from .9 to .5 baseband (which means loss of all data). The other thing is make sure that you delete each file off the SD card after each step (i.e. delete PG05IMG before loading the su files, etc).
    I then flashed Gingeritis 3d v1.2, I think it is great, I am getting consistenly faster speed test results when I test my 4G speeds. As well everything on the phone operates faster!

I was able to immediately wirelessly connect to my laptop, and a Kindle fire for tethering.

Rooting is worth it.
    02-15-2012 08:26 PM
    Gingeritis 3d v1.2 has been the best one for me, I always found myself going back to that rom, it does have a notably data speed improvement in my opinion..
    02-15-2012 09:08 PM
    If you root you will still have the stock verizon software you have now, but with super user (su) access aka, root. You can then add this... android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting and you can tether for free. If you want to flash a custom rom (which I highly recommend, btw) it will remove the bloat you speak of for the most part, and if it doesn't you can download titanium backup and freeze the apps you don't want to see. You can flash roms that are sense, or one's without sense called aosp roms. I prefer the sense roms, but it is just a personal preference. I am using infectedrom eternity, a sense 3.5 rom, so fast, love it! I think you will be glad you rooted once you get it done. I was worried about doing it, but if you follow the stickies here you should have no problem. Good luck, hope it helps!
    02-16-2012 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD