Installing app says "insufficient storage available"

DaddyW123

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
A little bit ago, cpu tuner was causing constant reboots as soon as it was initialized, so I had no choice but to boot into recovery and restore my latest rom backup.

Unfortunately it was not very recent so I had a lot of updating and restoring of apps through titanium backup to do.

Got almost everything restored, but when trying to restore Yelp from titanium backup, the restore just hangs (even left it overnight) and I have to force the process to close.

When go into the app store to try and reinstall it, I get and error message of "insufficient storage available". Anybody know what could be causing this or what to look for?

Any help would be much appreciated.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
oh yeah, I'm on BAMF 1.10 (don't think I'm on 11 yet)

Are you out of space in your internal or SD storage?

"Settings --> SD and phone storage"

See what it says under SD Card available space and Internal storage available space. If either is maxed out, that could cause problems.

Having no remaining internal memory would be the most troublesome. It seems (to me) difficult to believe that anyone could install enough apps to consume the entire ~2.2 GB that usually remains once the OS in installed...but if you have a LOT of apps (100s), multiboot partitions with different ROMs, or maybe even whole lot of SMS/MMS messages built up I suppose that you could possibly max it out. (or if for whatever reason you have media stored internally instead of SD card).

Some apps though do need SD memory to operate as well, however, it is much easier to max that out. One big culprit is CWM backups (nandroids), as they can take up 500MB to 1GB+ depending on the ROM. If you have old ones that can be deleted, that usually will free up some space.

These are just suggestions...I'm not really sure what the specific issue with your phone may be.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
A little bit ago, cpu tuner was causing constant reboots as soon as it was initialized, so I had no choice but to boot into recovery and restore my latest rom backup.

Unfortunately it was not very recent so I had a lot of updating and restoring of apps through titanium backup to do.

Got almost everything restored, but when trying to restore Yelp from titanium backup, the restore just hangs (even left it overnight) and I have to force the process to close.

When go into the app store to try and reinstall it, I get and error message of "insufficient storage available". Anybody know what could be causing this or what to look for?

Any help would be much appreciated.
You might try this link:

Fixing The "Couldn't Install On USB Storage Or SD Card" Problem On Android

-Frank

DaddyW123

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
PaintDrinker - I should have been more clear, I am deffinitely not out of space. Storage says I have plenty, plus I am able to install any other apps. It's only Yelp giving me the problem.

Frank - thank you for the link, that pointed me in the right direction I think. I couldn't find the specific file listed in the article, but after doing searching for similar techniques, I installed a CatLog app so view system logs as the install is trying to run.
Found an entry stating:

Cannot create dir '/data/data/com.yelp.android': file exists

Then the next entry says package couldn't be installed. So it looks like there are just remnants of it from before. So I'm going to try and delete that entire folder and reinistall. I'll let you know the outcome.

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You can always try the app named Market Fix. It will move your cache to your SDcard and help with that error most of the time. Others have had success with simply clearing their cache in recovery.

alfredor88

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I have been having the same problem, I clear the cache and it works for a while then I get the same error message again. It happens with different apps. My tablet is rooted CWM. Samsung GT P3113. It happens with different apps. Im sure i have enough space left.

Eneas Versehgi

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Nothing worked for me, except this:

su
cd /data/app-lib
chown system:system *

and that's it. no need to delete folders (which caused me to lose some application data in the past). everything updates like a charm.

i've seen a few threads related to this issue...will try to post this fix as it's far less invasive than removing application folders.

FPSHero

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Nothing worked for me, except this:

su
cd /data/app-lib
chown system:system *

and that's it. no need to delete folders (which caused me to lose some application data in the past). everything updates like a charm.

i've seen a few threads related to this issue...will try to post this fix as it's far less invasive than removing application folders.

thanks heaps this fixed the problem very quickly. you wouldnt happen to know why this works do you?

et477

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
PLEASE HELP

i downloaded a 650 mb game, and my storage said that it had 8gb but i the moment i installed it i was left with 95MB. my email whatsapp and sms stopped working because off low storage. PLEASE HELP

im using a galaxy s5

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49