Get ics from verizon on rooted tbolt??

zig123

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is coming out with ICS on the Thunderbolt. My Tbolt is rooted with Sense 3.5. The question is should I accept the update (with the Verizon bloatware) or wait for a stable ICS ROM for the Tbolt?

Zig

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it until it's actually released. There's still no leaks of ICS so I don't think it's even close to coming out yet. Not sense worrying about something that might not even happen.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is coming out with ICS on the Thunderbolt. My Tbolt is rooted with Sense 3.5. The question is should I accept the update (with the Verizon bloatware) or wait for a stable ICS ROM for the Tbolt?

Zig

Never take an ota if you are rooted.

sent from my thunderbolt

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Why not? Can't you allways reflash the other ROM?

ZIg
Yes, but it's an unnecessary exercise in futility. If you accept an OTA while rooted you'll HAVE to flash another ROM to recover the mess. And lose the OTA then anyway. Waste of time.

-Frank

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Zig

Why not? Can't you allways reflash the other ROM?

ZIg

To be honest, this question is probably moot because if you're running a custom ROM, you won't get an update notification anyway. Regardless, the answer to your question is a resounding "NO!".

Attempting to install an update on a rooted phone can potentially brick it...and even if it doesn't, there's no reason to install an official update anyway. *If* Verizon does release an ICS update for the Thunderbolt, I can almost guarantee you that there will already be better ICS ROMs out there by the devs that would be a better option anyway.

If you're rooted, you do NOT want to worry about official updates...and trust me, that's a good thing.

Here is a PSA I posted a few months back when one of the last OTA updates was pushed...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...latest-update-if-rooted-running-stock-os.html

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Me, I'm waiting for official ICS to come out - For the developers that is. Then, I'll be waiting for a custom ICS rom to flash :-D

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but it's an unnecessary exercise in futility. If you accept an OTA while rooted you'll HAVE to flash another ROM to recover the mess. And lose the OTA then anyway. Waste of time.

-Frank

This!

sent from my thunderbolt

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
+1 on Green and Pete's post.

I was thinking the same thing about unrooting my phone and then getting the official "ICS" OTA...then someone reminded me that why do that because the DEV's more than likely will have a BETTER ICS ROM based on the official release I would think within 24 to 48 hours.....or maybe even before!.

My vote........WAIT!...unless you want to re-root your phone and go through that whole exercise.

Like BJBOUCHER said.....I don't think Verizon is close to releasing an UPDATE....when Verizon says soon.....in corporate speak that means "When we get around to it"

RJV3

May 18, 2011
Visit site
It's April 12....and still no ICS love on the Thunderbolt. Why am I not surprised?

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2