Probably an overused topic, sorry! Just need noob suggestions

nick9109

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi there everybody, I've been reading quite a bit into rooting my thunderbolt and so far am not too worried about it and tend to understand the whole rooting process fairly well. Where I start to get confused is when it comes to selecting a rom to put onto my phone. I was hoping that I could get some input into which rom to pick for my phone. I really don't have specific needs, mainly just something that's not buggy, doesn't have this reoccurring GPS problem, and helps improve my battery life. Once again, sorry for the redundant post, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: the other thing I needed, and sad to say, but I needed instructions to back up and restore my data for the rom installation process I believe.

Last edited:

ang1dust

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Just reposting this. Figured it would help you.

First im on board with you. I have tested nearly everything. I wont test rom with Sense at all. Even Desense. Its just a waste of my time. I did however try Eternity desense recently "sense" (heh see what i did there?) it was so popular. 10k views and such is hard to overlook. I still hated it first 60 seconds.

I dont like screwing with my builds much if i can find one i like so here is my experience. I recently installed liquid smooth. And i was going to go back to my old CM7/AOSP build but i found that it has ADW / Launcher Pro (which there is a crack out there somewhere for the full version, i have it, pm me if you want it) and 1 other i beleive. I was shocked when i found it. Alot of stuff in Liquid settings and if you tried LSG and didnt see it im going to say you didnt try it long enough. In addition - if you want a great theme (the only REALLY GOOD ONE) ive found is Epicblue n bold or green n bold. It will tell you it doesnt match everything blah blah but its very nice. It gives mods to everything.

Another suggestion for LSG (Liquid smooth gingerbread) is ROM Toolbox. The nice thing about this program that you dont find in alot of tweak utilities is its mainly all sliders. You dont have to click, change setting, accept.

With this rom, and the multiple settings of ROM Tool box including the profiles which can be set to lower your CPU during screen off / in call etc and increase your CPU when plugged is outstanding. I believe its a little buggy still but i cant complain with the last 12 hours of my phone being on with no use and only moving 6%.

Old but similar to LSG thats based on MR3 radio
[ROM]SHIFTAO5P IC3.2.1 [IMOSEYON Lean Kernel 5.1] (11/20/2011) - xda-developers

So if you want to try my setup here it is all based on the MR4 radio:

LSG:
+++ Liquid Smooth Roms 3.2 for Multiple Devices +++

Imoseyon v6.1 AOSP:
[Kernel] [Aosp] Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel (V6.1.0, 2/19/12) - Thunderbolt Development - RootzWiki

MR4 Radio:
[MR4-ROM/MR4-KERNEL/MR4-MODS/THEMES/MR4-RADIO LIST] - Thunderbolt Development - RootzWiki

ROM Toolbox (LITE) only a very few items not available in LITE:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store/apps/d...S50b29sYm94Il0&token=uwSOuwja.

Very very nice theme, just remember when installed to just accept, everything works:
Blue:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store/apps/d...mx1ZU5Cb2xkIl0&token=a3eM2esr.
Green:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store/apps/d...m9sZC5saXRlIl0&token=J7fzPFjs.

I cant think of anything else but if you try those i think you will be happy, not to mention the ability to switch between launcher pro / adw etc. Dont forget to make sure all ur radio builds line up, or in my experience your power usage is all nuts.

Oh and another thing, hell ive edited this like 10 times so far, i think the crap on the screen is too big. Instead of changing the drawr / desktop spacing or grid settings change your dpi with the density setting. Stock is 240, i use 190 in this one, i was using 160 in the old rom above but this rom wont allow you to go lower than 190 - of course that was with launcher pro, i didnt try going lower with ADW installed wich is what i use that comes with this ROM. Also, many say it doesnt work, i think it helps to each their own if you can get your tbolt up for 24+ hours like me with light / moderate use without it good job, otherwise use Render FX. I use Render FX Cool Blue. It changest the screen color so slightly i cant tell and its intentions are to change the way WHITE is rendered since it has been proven to be the biggest power drain on displays and another reason everyone suggests NOT to use google as a browser home screen But if you do use COol blue and it helps.

Ok last edit i swear, the GPS issue is easily fixed without some program to install (i personally hate installing stuff that is unecessary) I have done this on 3 or 4 thunderbolts so i cant say it works 100% of the time for all thunderbolts but i can say it has worked 100% of the time on at least 3 thunderbolts (the 4th one didnt have the gps issue) This is tedious but it works and if you remember it next time you wipe, it will work without thinking about it. Go to a rom were the GPS locks. Doesnt have to be fast or slow just get it locked. Go directly into CWM directly after the lock and wipe and isntall your new ROM. Your phone will get a lock in seconds with the new rom thereafter. Another helping hand will be the IMOSEYON kernal and the MR4 Radios. All that takes part in your locking abilities. It works for me every time. I dont even think about it anymore, when i wipe i make sure ive locked at least once before wiping.

Im excited for CM9! lol Even if i do get my Galaxy S3 im still going to have my Tbolt in the family.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Wow/...that was a long answer....LOLOL

The simple answer is this......there isn't a perfect one for everyone. I have ran the following:

Das BAMF (Forever, Forever Cubed, SoaB)
Zeus,
Liquid SMooth
Gingeritis,
The Electric Factory
Infected Eternity
CM7
Thundershed
iKream

and I know a few more iin there somewhere.

All the above ones are great stable ones. Most of them are SENSE type Roms (which is what the stock HTC ROM is). CM7 is a ASOP (think of ASOP as a plain ol' vanilla ROM).

I have ran iKream and Infected the longest in one sitting....just because I was to lazy to try another ROM.

Once you get rooted and start flashing new roms...you will be hooked and you will try many for sure.

Make sure you backup your data before you FLASH anything....no need to back up the SD card (unless you really want to).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol