So Im rooted for the first time ever...now what?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Check out this thread. It should give you an idea of what kind of ROM you want to flash. http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/205236-how-root.html

Once you figure out which one you want, here's how to flash a ROM:

Use ROM Toolbox Pro or Titanium Backup to backup your apps and data.
Use MyBackup to backup sms, mms, call log, bookmarks, and whatever else you want. I don't recommend backing up system settings ever, and only back up contacts and calendar if you don't already have Google backing up them up.
Use Rom Manager to backup your stock ROM.
Download the ROM you want to flash to your pc.
Hook up your phone to your computer.
Transfer the ROM to the root of the SD card. Don't put it in a folder.
Download Superwipe here: Superwipe - mecha centre
Transfer superwipe to the root of your sd.
Use Rom Manager to boot into Recovery.
When the menu comes up, choose "Install Zip from SD".
Then choose "Choose file from SD".
Scroll down to the superwipe file and choose it. Confirm the choice on the next screen.
Choose "Go Back" and then "choose zip from sd".
Scroll down till you see the ROM file and click on it. Click confirm on next page.
When it finishes, go back to main menu and choose "reboot system now".
Your phone will reboot and you"ll go through the process of setting it up like the first time you did it.
Done. You have now flashed a ROM.

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Congrats. I've been rooted for a little while just to get rid of the bloatware, but I recently flashed my first rom. It was the BAMF ICS leak that sounded so good in all the online reviews (I thought). I hated it and am now using Jesters Liquid ICS rom which still has a few kinks, but is otherwise pretty nice.

For your first time flashing a rom, I'd set aside at least 4 - 6 hours to get the back ups, flash, and putting it all back together. If you're really good with your phone or understand this stuff better, you could probably do it faster.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
For your first time flashing a rom, I'd set aside at least 4 - 6 hours to get the back ups, flash, and putting it all back together. If you're really good with your phone or understand this stuff better, you could probably do it faster.

Thanks to F350 for mentioning this and reminding me to address it. If you've used Rom Toolbox Pro to backup your apps, then it makes restoring your phone SO much easier. All you do is download the app from the Play Store after you've set up your phone and then choose the option to restore all apps and data. This will put all of the apps back on your phone. Once done, use MyBackup Pro to restore your call log, sms, mms, etc and then you're done with the time consuming part. After flashing a ROM, I can have my phone set up again in about 20-30 minutes thanks to these two apps.

CunningStunt

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I backed up using RomManager, but what im getting at here is I want to wipe the phone and sd card and start from scratch with a rooted phone, then I wanna remove the bloatware. Should I Factory Reset with RomManager and then flash the rom I have downloaded?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I backed up using RomManager, but what im getting at here is I want to wipe the phone and sd card and start from scratch with a rooted phone, then I wanna remove the bloatware. Should I Factory Reset with RomManager and then flash the rom I have downloaded?

You can't wipe the external sd card until after you flash the ROM. If you want to wipe it, boot into recovery, choose "mounts and storage", and then choose "format sd card". Or, after you flash a ROM, you can just hook up the phone to your pc and manually wipe it.

Superwipe will give you a good solid wipe so that the new ROM will load without any problems. It is the equivalent of doing 3 factory resets, data wipes, cache wipes, and dalvik wipes. The new ROM will come equipped with apps and usually has any bloatware already removed, although you might decide to get rid of some of the apps they've included.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to F350 for mentioning this and reminding me to address it. If you've used Rom Toolbox Pro to backup your apps, then it makes restoring your phone SO much easier. All you do is download the app from the Play Store after you've set up your phone and then choose the option to restore all apps and data. This will put all of the apps back on your phone. Once done, use MyBackup Pro to restore your call log, sms, mms, etc and then you're done with the time consuming part. After flashing a ROM, I can have my phone set up again in about 20-30 minutes thanks to these two apps.

How many different back up apps are needed? Are you also using Titanium back up pro, or have you dropped that one?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't use Titanium, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I used MyBackup Pro before I rooted and then added Rom Toolbox Pro after to make flashing ROMs easier. Again, you don't have to use these 2 apps, but I do recommend using something to backup all of your data and apps.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
As a first rom I recommend tshed 1.4 because everything works. I would stay away from ics until you get your feet under you.

CunningStunt

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I am tuning nusense now, I like it but when I get home ill try the format sd thing. Im trying get my phone to be fast and snappy like it was the day I bought it. Any recommendations?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
recDNA likes 1.4, and I like 1.6. Either way, we both think Thundershed is a good way to go. In my opinion, Sense based ROMs aren't as snappy as AOSP ROMs, and with AOSP ROMs, you get to use a launcher in place of Sense. Many of the Launchers have optimizations settings. I prefer ADW Launcher EX (not the regular ADW Launcher), and with it, I can speed up the scrolling, eliminate or add animations, eliminate desktop bounce, and speed up the scrolling in the app drawer. All of these things lead to snappier performance, especially when compared to Sense. I still like Sense, but just not as much as AOSP with ADW.

CunningStunt

May 1, 2012
Visit site
You can't wipe the external sd card until after you flash the ROM. If you want to wipe it, boot into recovery, choose "mounts and storage", and then choose "format sd card". Or, after you flash a ROM, you can just hook up the phone to your pc and manually wipe it.

Superwipe will give you a good solid wipe so that the new ROM will load without any problems. It is the equivalent of doing 3 factory resets, data wipes, cache wipes, and dalvik wipes. The new ROM will come equipped with apps and usually has any bloatware already removed, although you might decide to get rid of some of the apps they've included.

is Superwipe an app? Its not on market.

Also, will erasing all the data on my sd card even help in terms of speed?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Super wipe while I'm not familiar with this device is probably a custom script that when flashed in Rom manager or custom recovery does a wipe of cache partition/dalvik partition and possibly even data partition to save you some time in one nice package.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

If you look on page 11 of trter's All-in-one tool thread, I put a link to it. Just download it from there and put it on the root of your sd card. Before you flash a ROM, flash superwipe to make sure you get a clean install. Here's the link: https://sites.google.com/site/mechacentre/extras/superwipe

I don't think wiping your sd will have any impact on the phone's performance.

If you put the ROM on the sd, went into recovery, and flashed from there, then yes, you'll flash any other ROM the same way.

Last edited:

CunningStunt

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I flashed tshed but cant get "accounts & sync" to work with gmail, which has all my contacts stored...also it doesnt have Google Play and Gmail app and when I install from browser it says its already installed...other than that, its awesome fast and battery holding up beautifully so far

CunningStunt

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Phones stuck at HTC white screen right now...all I did was flash Superclean and rebooted...whats the typical protocall here? Batt pull or will that brick my phone?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Superwipe wipes everything, including the ROM. Pull the battery then put it back in. Hold the down volume button and the power button to get into hboot. Once the menu comes up, scroll down to recovery and press the power button. Then just flash the ROM again. Let it load. When it's done, go back into recovery and flash the Google Apps and GTalk, then reboot. Don't flash the Gapps and Gtalk with the ROM. You should be ready to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37