mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
So I'm rooted and yesterday I was using my phone just like an everyday thing, nothing crazy. Phone was acting normal, not abnormally hot on the bottom like it got sometimes, but it just froze on me. Take out the battery, replace it, all is well for about 5 more minutes then the same thing. Take the battery out, put it back it and reboot but this time it hangs on the HTC splash screen. Take the battery out and now, nothing. No LED when charging, nothing happens when I try any sort of power on methods. I literally have no power to this phone. It was not overclocked at all, just rooted for battery life and bloatware issues.

It has NOT been a year since I purchased the phone BUT I know rooting voids the manufacture's warranty.

So here's the obvious question, when I send them my phone to get repaired, am I screwed?? I'm assuming there's a trigger that says "this phone was rooted" and I can't get it back on to flash the stock ROM. If I could, I would but this thing is done it seems.

Any ideas anyone??

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
This is kind of ironic because this was posted by a ROM developer at infectedrom yesterday, "The Rezound battery is FAR from accurate in a Thunderbolt, as far as reading percentages go. Always has been and always will be and can shorten the life of your device, as it has a different draw then our battery. just my 2 cents on that." I can't be sure, but maybe this is what happened to your phone.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
This is kind of ironic because this was posted by a ROM developer at infectedrom yesterday, "The Rezound battery is FAR from accurate in a Thunderbolt, as far as reading percentages go. Always has been and always will be and can shorten the life of your device, as it has a different draw then our battery. just my 2 cents on that." I can't be sure, but maybe this is what happened to your phone.

Very interesting. But would that cause it to die like that? I don't get it..... I had read nothing but good things about the Rezound battery in these devices. I have also only been rooted for maybe a month.

Are my assumptions accurate though that HTC will know I've rooted my phone?

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Very interesting. But would that cause it to die like that? I don't get it..... I had read nothing but good things about the Rezound battery in these devices. I have also only been rooted for maybe a month.

Are my assumptions accurate though that HTC will know I've rooted my phone?

Yes, there's alot of positive feedback about the Rezound battery's *performance* but when people start having problems with their tbolt, most of them don't know that the battery could be the culprit. Verizon could check to see if the phone rooted, but it's not definite. Read this thread, you might get lucky if you send your tbolt in as it is. Or you can spend a little more time trying to fix it. I don't have much input on that though, sorry.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there's alot of positive feedback about the Rezound battery's *performance* but when people start having problems with their tbolt, most of them don't know that the battery could be the culprit. Verizon could check to see if the phone rooted, but it's not definite. Read this thread, you might get lucky if you send your tbolt in as it is. Or you can spend a little more time trying to fix it. I don't have much input on that though, sorry.

............... So this guy is basically saying I need to call Verizon Tech Support and hope I get in touch w/ Lydia LOL. No but really, that's a solid link to the thread b/c that is EXACTLY what has happened to me. I'm going to have to read through that and maybe when I got home, w/ the girl's phone, I can call Verizon and let them know and see if there's anything they can do. Bad thing is, I have already done this and all I got was "well you can purchase our certified pre-owneds". Yeah, I can get the Samsung Galaxy II, used, for the low, low price of $450!!! LOL but seriously, the info you provided was solid and the link even more. Guess I'll have to try to call again :)

Thanks!!!

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
So I'm rooted and yesterday I was using my phone just like an everyday thing, nothing crazy. Phone was acting normal, not abnormally hot on the bottom like it got sometimes, but it just froze on me. Take out the battery, replace it, all is well for about 5 more minutes then the same thing. Take the battery out, put it back it and reboot but this time it hangs on the HTC splash screen. Take the battery out and now, nothing. No LED when charging, nothing happens when I try any sort of power on methods. I literally have no power to this phone. It was not overclocked at all, just rooted for battery life and bloatware issues.

It has NOT been a year since I purchased the phone BUT I know rooting voids the manufacture's warranty.

So here's the obvious question, when I send them my phone to get repaired, am I screwed?? I'm assuming there's a trigger that says "this phone was rooted" and I can't get it back on to flash the stock ROM. If I could, I would but this thing is done it seems.

Any ideas anyone??

Bummer, Mookie! This sounds similar to what happened to Viper's Bolt this past weekend. If it's within a year, Verizon should replace it for free under warranty. If you aren't able to get the phone to turn on, then they won't be able to either. If they can't turn it on, then there's no way for them to know it's rooted. And honestly, I'm not sure they would be able to tell or even care if it's rooted. I'd call 'em up, tell them the phone won't turn on or charge, and ask nicely for a replacement.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Bummer, Mookie! This sounds similar to what happened to Viper's Bolt this past weekend. If it's within a year, Verizon should replace it for free under warranty. If you aren't able to get the phone to turn on, then they won't be able to either. If they can't turn it on, then there's no way for them to know it's rooted. And honestly, I'm not sure they would be able to tell or even care if it's rooted. I'd call 'em up, tell them the phone won't turn on or charge, and ask nicely for a replacement.

It does suck. I was just enjoying the rooting process so much prior to this happening. Battery life was out of this world and the ROM, although laggy at first, was starting to come around. Had minimal lag by the time it died. Good to know that they probably won't be able to turn it on if they get it. Hell, I would be worried if they could b/c it does have the Beats splash screen to start so I bet they would think something was fishy if they saw that LOL.

I think I'm going to have to do that. I mean, it's under a year so I should be covered. At least I have my 1st gen Droid as my backup LOL..... it's gonna be terrible going back to that thing.

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
i wont mention names, but someone sent me a pm telling me they returned a rooted phone and never got charged. the same person also told me they once sat on their kindle and cracked the screen and verizon replaced it under warranty.

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
when i talked to verizon, they didnt ask if phone was rooted and i didnt tell them. their only question was "is there any physical damage or water damage"

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
It does suck. I was just enjoying the rooting process so much prior to this happening. Battery life was out of this world and the ROM, although laggy at first, was starting to come around. Had minimal lag by the time it died. Good to know that they probably won't be able to turn it on if they get it. Hell, I would be worried if they could b/c it does have the Beats splash screen to start so I bet they would think something was fishy if they saw that LOL.

I think I'm going to have to do that. I mean, it's under a year so I should be covered. At least I have my 1st gen Droid as my backup LOL..... it's gonna be terrible going back to that thing.

could be worse, im back on my non smart phone till my replacement comes, and today being a holiday didnt speed things up

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/16...nes-if-rooted/

What exactly should happen if you were to root your phone, play around with ROMs/hacks/etc., somehow manage to break it, and then send it in to Verizon for a warranty replacement? Should you be allowed to get a replacement or not? According to reports, you can get a replacement, but the rooting of your phone voids any warranty you had and gives Verizon permission to charge you for a new one if they determine that your broken phone was tampered with.

Our buddy @P3droid has apparently heard from a couple of friends who have run into the scenario that we described above and then been slapped with a pretty hefty and unannounced bill. Fair or unfair?

I’ll just say this – we’ve known that rooting your device voids your warranty since well back in the original DROID days, so it makes sense that Verizon would do this. As unpopular as this may sound, I can’t fault Big Red for going this route. If you decide to take your phone out of its original factory status, tinker with its guts, and break something, it shouldn’t be their responsibility to take care of you.

With that said though, a broken volume rocker, faulty screen, etc. has nothing do with rooting, so I’d hate to see someone get charged for something that they didn’t cause even if they decided to root. It’s an interesting topic, and one that I would love to hear all your opinions on.

Update: Our friends at Verizon saw this post and wanted to reach out to clarify everything immediately. First up, is the fact that their policy says absolutely nothing about checking for root on devices. When a phone is received, a phone is checked for three things and that definitely isn’t one of them. They check to see if the box that the device was sent in is damaged, if the outside of the phone looks awful, and if it powers on – satisfy all of those and they move on to the next phone. So basically, these reports of being charged for a rooted phone simply mean that these people were sending in garbage phone with defects.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I asked Viper this question that I'll ask you: When you get your replacement Bolt, are you gonna root it again?

If I was getting a Bolt, possibly haha. I went in yesterday to Verizon and they had no Bolts in their warehouse. So their solution was to send me a Rezound next day on their dime. Looks like I'm out of the root game and I'm supposedly getting my Rezound tomorrow. Whether I root or not is a good question...... Definitely a bad first experience but can I blame it on the root?? I read that the Rezound battery kills the Bolt faster than normal but who knows if that's the truth or not.... I'm gonna play w/ this and see what happens and then when it comes down to it, when it's closer for my upgrade in November, I might just root and see if I want to use it. That way I won't have to go back to this original Droid yet again haha.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Viper,

That is some SOLID linkage. Thanks!!! It's making me feel better about the possibility of getting a nasty charge w/o being noticed. I mean, this was my first adventure into rooting but I'm assuming they're going to completely wipe the phone (even if they can get it turned on) right when they get it. Doesn't that seem logical? People could have passwords, private info, dirty images (LOL) all over their phone and if Verizon were to get ahold of that, and it was known they looked at it, that could be a major issue, correct??

This brings me back to the original point I was getting at, this is my first root so when they do potentially do this hard reset, is it going to boot as normal or boot into the Infected ROM I was using? All rooted apps were stored on my SD card I believe and they surely aren't getting that so I can throw it in my Rezound when it gets here. Not only that, I can't see the Bolt being a phone they even attempt to market to sell as it's pretty old. The manager at the Verizon store told me it would more than likely be recycled. I'm not sure what that means in cell phone jargon but I'm guessing pieces here and there for spare parts for other phones probably like the one I'm getting from them.....

Regardless, thanks again Viper for posting all that info.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
when i talked to verizon, they didnt ask if phone was rooted and i didnt tell them. their only question was "is there any physical damage or water damage"

That's all the manager did at the store. I took my Rezound battery out and replaced it w/ my stock, she instantly opened it up and looked at both watermarks, inspected the phone for physical damage and just looked baffled and shrugged her shoulders and said they'd take care of me. I doubt they even know if the general public knows of rooting. If they were going to ask though, I was most certainly going to play dumb.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781