Changing boot animation

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
In my mind this is simple to do but i figured i'd ask first because i've never done this. Are these the steps to change the stock boot animation?

1. copy bootanimation.zip to SD card
2. connect phone to computer and unzip file
3. edit png files (all i did was change the colors) and save
4. rezip file and save to SD card
5. rename original bootanimation.zip
6. paste new bootanimation.zip file in its place
7. verify new bootanimation.zip has correct permissions

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
It seems like you COULD do it that way, hypothetically, but its even easier than that. (Actually if the boot animation is a .apk, I'm not 100% sure it would even work this way since it'd just be sitting there uninstalled)

Just boot into CWM Recovery and install the zip from your SD Card like you would for a custom ROM. It will overwrite the old boot animation file, just so you know. You don't have to do a data wipe or anything for this either.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
My idea didn't work. I knew it couldn't be that simple. The boot animation is a zip file, not an apk. The weird thing is that the htc boot animation didn't even appear. Only the htc splash screen and the verizon thunderbolt boot animation ran, then the phone started as normal. I don't get it. I removed the boot animation zip file that i created and the orginal htc boot animation still doesn't run. Ideas?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I've only changed the boot animation a couple times, and both times I used Rom Toolbox Pro to do it. It was very easy. However, I now use no boot animation to improve the boot time.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Do you know how ROM Toolbox does it? I'm not sure about any of this, but i think things didn't work for me because i unzipped the file... which i did because i really couldn't think of another way of doing this.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I just click on the boot animation I want and then click install. Then the next time I boot, there it is.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
From what i read in other threads, changing boot animation is easy as i thought. Woohoo! There's nothing wrong with process i'm using so it's gotta be something else. I further investigated the issue and i believe i've found the culprit. The desc.txt file in bootanimation.zip had a line of code that shouldn't be there. This lead me to believe that something got messed up when i flashed my nandroid or, specifically, when i wiped before i flashed my nandroid. I also noticed that there are duplicate files and folders in other directories, but apparently that didn't affect booting the phone. Anyways, I'm going to delete (what i believe) is the extraneous line of code and try again. <fingers crossed>

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Let me know how it goes. I've never done it that way, and I'd be interested in learning how to do it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
No success yet. Mighty can you help me out? Can you look in the desc.txt file in the stock bootanimation.zip? The file path is system/customize/resource.

EDIT: The more i research this the more screwed up my phone seems to be. The stock boot animation could actually be in system/media.

Last edited:

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't unzip it. Just place it in the folder(i use Root Explorer and had to hit the "mount R/W" box in upper right corner). Depending on what ROM you are running it would either be system/customize/resource - or system/media. Then reboot. I just figured it out after being away from this stuff for awhile. Now i just need to figure out where to put the sound file so as to work with the stock boot animation.

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If i am reading this correctly the reason it isn't working now because you already extracted it on your phone and now there is stuff in there that shouldn't be? If so did you make a backup? Flash the backup and you should be able to do it the normal way (Don't extract it). Just place it on the root of your SD and then coy and paste it to the folder and reboot.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear, i'm referring to the htc "quietly brilliant" boot animation. I originally copied the zip file to my SD card, moved it to my computer and unzipped it, changed the png files, rezipped on my computer, moved it back to SD card, and then pasted it back into system/customize/resource. The "stuff" is just one line of code in the desc.txt file. Nonetheless that didn't work. You're suggesting just flash my nandroid and start over?

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Ahh, i was referring to the boot animation and it sounds as if you are talking about the splash screen. i thought the splash screen needed to be flashed, no? i'd have to read into it.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Well the thing is that both boot animation zip files are in the same folder (resource). I think the spash screen is actually different from the "quietly brilliant" animation that follows it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2