OTA Update for HTC Thunderbolt ICS - ROOTED

mort3770

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my HTC Thunderbolt using Revolutionary and now my phone wants to install the new OTA update that came out on April 1, 2013. Should I let it run? If not, what else should I do?

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I rooted my HTC Thunderbolt using Revolutionary and now my phone wants to install the new OTA update that came out on April 1, 2013. Should I let it run? If not, what else should I do?

I just got the notice for that update today.
I had done a backup with CWM so I figured I'd let the update run to see what it did.
At reboot It froze my phone at some warning screen.
So I did a CWM Restore.
Then when the ota tried to install again, I hit defer.
But I thought those of us who rooted and installed a Custom Rom, weren't supposed to get updates pushed from verizon.

mort3770

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
If you backed up your phone with the OTA update downloaded (but not yet installed), it seems that it would still want to run it after you restored it. I am also confused, thinking the ROOT would not even let the phone look for updates?

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
If you backed up your phone with the OTA update downloaded (but not yet installed), it seems that it would still want to run it after you restored it. I am also confused, thinking the ROOT would not even let the phone look for updates?

I'm sorry, I failed to mention that I had already done a backup. I do backups quite often.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Everything has been just solid with the Rom I have now.
So I again restored my latest backup.
Then, before I rebooted, I installed OTA Killer that Santod linked.

Cooperta79

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
2mws30l.jpg

When I go to recovery I do not get an option to flash from sd card. The options I get are shown in the image. What am I doing wrong

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Looks like you got taken to hboot and not recovery. Also looks like recovery isn't even available from hboot either.

You can get to recovery two ways, preferred method is to reboot phone into it usually from the power options in the rom, or boot into hboot and then select to go into recovery.

In your case, looks like it's been blocked, or like it says relocked.

We will wait for someone who knows more on how to undo this, as my knowledge is limited in this field.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Btw, here's what my bootloader looks like.
This is what yours most likely looked like before the ota hit your device, except for the different radio version, and the root method/date.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365770931531.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365770931531.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 14

Cooperta79

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Figured it out. Had to go to HTC website and unlock the phone, then reflash the fastboot.exe thru the cmd prompt with usb cable. After that I was able to flash the OTA Killer.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Glad to see all is ok.
I've mentioned that route to others, but they were in a different situation, and thought maybe there's an easier path you could take that I wasn't aware of.
Either way, glad to see it worked out for you. :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums