What do I do with my Thunderbolt now?

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I opted in early for a VZN HTC Thunderbolt and used it mostly with satisfaction for nearly 30 months. In that time I used it strictly as it came out of the box - no root. I did purchase the extended battery and extended back. I now use a VZN iPhone 5, but only for the last month. I like the iPhone a lot, but I do miss some thing that I could do on the TBolt and not on the iPhone. But I am still learning the 5.

Now what do I do with my T'bolt? It's not worth much to sell, so I am thinking that it could be a good WiFi device, external HD (the changeable microSD card pretty much means that the storage is unlimited), media player, a pretty good WiFi camera, and probably other things I've not even thought about.

I'm thinking that there is not a way to use it again as a phone, but maybe there is an app I do not know about.

Anyway, I have 3 questions?

1. Is this a decent plan? and if so
2. Should I root the thing if I want to use it as a WiFi device?
3. Are there other uses I am not aware of?

Many thanks in advance to anybody who weighs in.

anonymous495876038576

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I opted in early for a VZN HTC Thunderbolt and used it mostly with satisfaction for nearly 30 months. In that time I used it strictly as it came out of the box - no root. I did purchase the extended battery and extended back. I now use a VZN iPhone 5, but only for the last month. I like the iPhone a lot, but I do miss some thing that I could do on the TBolt and not on the iPhone. But I am still learning the 5.

Now what do I do with my T'bolt? It's not worth much to sell, so I am thinking that it could be a good WiFi device, external HD (the changeable microSD card pretty much means that the storage is unlimited), media player, a pretty good WiFi camera, and probably other things I've not even thought about.

I'm thinking that there is not a way to use it again as a phone, but maybe there is an app I do not know about.

Anyway, I have 3 questions?

1. Is this a decent plan? and if so
2. Should I root the thing if I want to use it as a WiFi device?
3. Are there other uses I am not aware of?

Many thanks in advance to anybody who weighs in.

That's a great idea! I have done that in the past. I recommend rooting to get better battery life/performance

Sent from my XT881 using AC Forums mobile app

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
1) I wouldn't sell the phone, it's always wise to keep at least 1 working smartphone on the side, just in case something temporary/permanent happens to your daily driver, can always use your backup

2) to use as a wifi device, no need to root, just enable and keep airplane mode on

3) if want to root, as HunterHeath mentions, need to know which android version you're on.
This is The question, as the answer will determine the way you will need to root if you still want to.

Eg. If you're on the latest version, ICS Verizon sent out, your root process not only will be long but will involve unlocking the bootloader via htcdev website, which HTC makes you acknowledge that you understand compromises your warranty.

4) the best rom out there, in my opinion, the one I've been on the longest and am still on:

UnSenseRom by Santod

It's clean, light and fast.

He's a link to Unsense Rom, you may have to sign up to view the thread:
http://forums.infectedrom.com/showt...-4-linaro-DeSensed-AWESOME-BEATS-AOSP-CM9-☆-★

Here's a link to video I made and posted a few weeks back regarding the great battery life, you'll probably get even better battery life as that was my battery life WITH cell standby (phone capabilities, constant communication with cell towers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuCJT-XZ_EA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here's a link to how to root your device if you're on the latest version Verizon sent out (might need to sign up to see), it's a long process, but it works, my wife's phone now rooted too:
http://forums.infectedrom.com/showthread.php/1923-Restore-S-OFF-after-the-ICS-OTA-Update

*the beauty of rooting,
That video I posted was made with an app called Screencast (requires root) and done and created all on my phone, no computers or cables involved.

Good luck

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Green_Laser, Thanks for taking the time to post. HH, thanks again to you, too.

My TB is running Android 4.0.4, which was pushed to me by vzn. I'm thinking that's ICS. I'm not concerned about warranty since my phone is over 30 months old and the warranty expired at 12 months.

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
1) I wouldn't sell the phone, it's always wise to keep at least 1 working smartphone on the side, just in case something temporary/permanent happens to your daily driver, can always use your backup

2) to use as a wifi device, no need to root, just enable and keep airplane mode on

3) if want to root, as HunterHeath mentions, need to know which android version you're on.
This is The question, as the answer will determine the way you will need to root if you still want to.

Eg. If you're on the latest version, ICS Verizon sent out, your root process not only will be long but will involve unlocking the bootloader via htcdev website, which HTC makes you acknowledge that you understand compromises your warranty.

4) the best rom out there, in my opinion, the one I've been on the longest and am still on:

UnSenseRom by Santod

It's clean, light and fast.

He's a link to Unsense Rom, you may have to sign up to view the thread:
InfectedROM Android Community Forums

Here's a link to video I made and posted a few weeks back regarding the great battery life, you'll probably get even better battery life as that was my battery life WITH cell standby (phone capabilities, constant communication with cell towers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuCJT-XZ_EA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here's a link to how to root your device if you're on the latest version Verizon sent out (might need to sign up to see), it's a long process, but it works, my wife's phone now rooted too:
InfectedROM Android Community Forums

*the beauty of rooting,
That video I posted was made with an app called Screencast (requires root) and done and created all on my phone, no computers or cables involved.

Good luck

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks again GL. FYI, you are right that I must first register at infectedrom in order to view. Sadly, I have tried to register and the site does not accept my registration. I am not asking you to do anything, unless you have a tip about what I might be doing wrong.

WELL I WAS FINALLY ABLE TO REGISTER. NEVERMIND.

Last edited:

Shadow Death

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Since you are planning on keeping it as a wifi only device you should check out the pack rom that santod uploaded. It's JB 4.2.2 but only has active wifi with no working radios yet. I think that would make an amazing wifi device for you. :D

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Since you are planning on keeping it as a wifi only device you should check out the pack rom that santod uploaded. It's JB 4.2.2 but only has active wifi with no working radios yet. I think that would make an amazing wifi device for you. :D

+1
Excellent point

Can't wait for 4.2.2 on my bolt :-D

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using AC Forums mobile app

Devils Advocate

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Since mine is acting up on the touch screen area I might be interested in purchasing one from someone, not sure if that violates any rules here and if so please forgive me.

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Link please. I couldn't find it on infected. Or did it not work out?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01