Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted (and how to put them back!)

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am curious given all of the discussion surrounding the "8GB" advertised vs 2.49GB that is accessible, what is in that 5GB+ of space. It has been mentioned that VZNav has all of the maps loaded, but if you look at the app itself (nothing else associated) its less than 3MB. So how do we get real space back or is that just not possible?

I am going to opt for the moving to SDCard "VZW Bloatware" folder option instead of deleting, so what is the best way to achieve that?

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Unable to chmod /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh: operation not permitted

In the shell I get when tryign to push permission denied

try:
adb shell
su
chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh

if that doesn't work try:
adb shell
su
/system/xbin/busybox chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh

let me know

ltredbeard

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the script? If not and are trying to run through this line-by-line, make sure you chmod 777 /sdcard/Bloatware

I'm not sure if that will solve your issues or not (i'm at work and can't test it)

First, I want to thank you for the time you've put into helping me learn this. I'm never content just copying and pasting codes and not understanding what they do. I've read through the script, but wanted to take the extra effort to move at least a few apps individually.

I had been using the chmod, but forgot to the last few times. I added it into the sequence, but still get the same error. See below:

c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
$ su
su
# /system/bin/chmod 777 /sdcard/Bloatware
/system/bin/chmod 777 /sdcard/Bloatware
# mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
# /system/xbin/busybox mv /system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk /sdcard/Bloatware/VZW_BitBop.apk.bak
/system/xbin/busybox mv /system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk /sdcard/Bloatware/VZW_BitBop.apk.bak
mv: can't rename '/system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk': No such file or directory

The BitBop app is still listed when I do a ls search.

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
try:
adb shell
su
chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh

if that doesn't work try:
adb shell
su
/system/xbin/busybox chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh

let me know

First please understand complete noob here:

from command line: (in usb charge only)
adb shell
$
$ su
permission denied

Changed to disk drive mode
$ su
(phone asked to give permission, accepted)
# chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh
Unable to chmod /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh:No such file or directory
#adb push tboltappmover.sh /sdcard/
adb: Not found
(copied file there manually at this point)
# chmod 755 /sdcard/tboltappmover.sh
Unable to chmod /sdcard/tboltappmove.sh:No such file or directory

Okay that is what the cmd window has:

What is it exactly am i missing here?
Suppose to be in charging mode? Disk drive mode?
Usb debugging is on. Even tried toggle off/ back on.

Root Cheek says root is good.
Super user shows several programs in list that have super user access to include Titanium Back..

ray7713#AC

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Please read carefully and proceed with caution

This list has been created based on my prior experiences with a variety of devices. I am very confident that the Verizon Bloatware, Live Wallpapers, and Widgets listed below can be safely renamed/moved. I am somewhat confident that the HTC apps can also be safely removed based on pervious experience with both the EVO and Incredible. That said, this is a new device with an updated version of Sense. If you do not want to be a test case, you should wait for others to confirm these apps are safe to remove. Do not throw stones at me if something goes wrong.

Before you begin:
  • Before you start making changes, I would strongly recommend backing up your device with a program like Titanium Backup (also in the market).
  • All of the files below are in /system/app.
  • The most popular file explorer for accessing and moving these files is called Root Explorer. When you navigate to the above directory, you will need to verify that the it says this in the upper right corner: Mount R/O. If it says: Mount R/W, push to toggle.
  • Instead of deleting files, I would recommend either:
    1. Renaming them from <filename.apk> to <filename.apk.old> For example, there's a file called Blockbuster_htc.apk in the system/app folder. If you long press on this file, in root explorer, you have the option of renaming it. Select this and add .old to the end. Once you do this, it will no longer show up in your app drawer and there will be no trace of it starting up with the OS.
    2. Alternatively, you could move these files to your SD card (this is what I do) if you don't want them eating up space in your system folder. But do not delete these files. Historically, on other phones, OTA updates have failed if the bloatware doesn't exist. The system folder had to be exactly the way it was when the phone shipped.
  • Before you rename or move an app in the /system/app folder, check the list below. If it is not listed, or you are unsure if it is safe to modify, please ask first. To be safe, I would only remove the apps listed below, until it is updated.
  • If an APK file also has an associated ODEX file, the ODEX can be renamed/moved also.
  • Do not remove any file starting with VzWBA (related to Verizon Backup Manager). Your TB will croak.
Verizon Bloat:
  • Kindle-OEM-1.1.1.90750089-20100927.apk
  • Blockbuster_htc.apk
  • CityID.apk (Apparently this app can also be uninstalled prior to root. See post #5 for more details.
  • VCast.apk
  • VzNav.apk
  • VZW_BitBop.apk
  • VZW_Golf.apk
  • VZW_Rhapsody.apk
  • VZW_RockBandStub.apk
  • VVM.apk
HTC Widgets:
  • com.htc.FMRadioWidget.apk
  • com.htc.FriendStreamWidget.apk
  • com.htc.MusicWidget.apk
  • com.htc.StockWidget.apk
  • com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk
  • com.htc.WeatherWidget.apk
  • HtcClockWidget.apk
  • htccontactwidgets.apk
  • htcmailwidgets.apk
  • HtcMimWidget.apk
  • HtcPhotoWidget.apk
  • HtcPowerStripWidget.apk
  • HtcProfileWidget.apk
  • HtcSyncwidget.apk
  • HtcScreenBrightnessWidget.apk
Wallpapers:
  • LiveWallpapers.apk
  • LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
  • MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
  • Mode10Wallpapers.apk
  • VisualizationWallpapers.apk
HTC Apps:
  • appsharing.apk
  • calculator.apk
  • Flashlight.apk
  • Flickr.apk
  • GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
  • HtcCarPanel.apk
  • HTCLocationPicker.apk
  • HTCSetupWizard.apk
  • HtcSoundRecorder.apk
  • HtcStreamPlayer.apk
  • HtcTwitter.apk
  • HTMLViewer.apk
  • QuickLookup.apk
  • Quickoffice.apk
  • SocialNetworkProvider.apk
  • Stock.apk
  • Street.apk
  • VoiceDialer.apk
  • VoiceSearch.apk
  • WidgetDwonloadManager.apk
  • WifiRouter.apk
Potentials (do not delete until confirmed):
  • AdobeReader.apk
  • Calculator.apk
  • HTCFMRadio.apk
Notes:
  • There will be others, I'm sure, but I won't be the first to try.
  • If there are additional apps that you have successfully renamed or moved, please post them in this thread.
Suggested alternatives for removed apps:
  • Instead of the built in browser use Dolphin HD.
  • Use Google Maps with Navigation instead of VZ Navigator.
  • Buy apps through the Amazon MP3 store instead of the VCast music app.
  • Convert movies using DVD Catalyst 3, then transfer to your SD card instead of using the VCast video app.
  • For file browsing try using Root Explorer.
  • Search AppBrain for a free caller ID - instead of the subscription based CityID app.
  • Instead of the Verizon IM client search AppBrain for an IM client app and/or stick to the built in Gtalk application.

i've successfully completed the on click root method for my thunderbolt. however, i am having trouble taking advantage of this. i am new to android and do not know how if i am going to continue rooting or not so i do not want to pay for root explorer. i have downloaded other free managers and went into system/app and tried your method of renaming from .apk to .old in order to be able to restore those apps in case of an upgrade. however, those apps remain in my app drawer and i cannot get rid of them. i was hoping you could give me a quick rundown of how to rid my phone of the bloatware using one of the free file explorers. thanks in advance.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
i've successfully completed the on click root method for my thunderbolt. however, i am having trouble taking advantage of this. i am new to android and do not know how if i am going to continue rooting or not so i do not want to pay for root explorer. i have downloaded other free managers and went into system/app and tried your method of renaming from .apk to .old in order to be able to restore those apps in case of an upgrade. however, those apps remain in my app drawer and i cannot get rid of them. i was hoping you could give me a quick rundown of how to rid my phone of the bloatware using one of the free file explorers. thanks in advance.

Super Manager is free and will allow you to rename/move system apps. Just make sure you go into the settings and enable the system r/w option.

ray7713#AC

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Super Manager is free and will allow you to rename/move system apps. Just make sure you go into the settings and enable the system r/w option.

I'm actually using super manager, i have r/w enabled and i am able to rename the .apk but they still appear in the application drawer, even after reboot. any suggestions on what i might be doing wrong?

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I just deleted them I figured if I want the next ota update I will just flash the original rom that I have saved in three different spots and just flash it. I actually didn't uninstall any htc widgets or anything, just verizon apps and bb, peeps, and other apps I wont use.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm actually using super manager, i have r/w enabled and i am able to rename the .apk but they still appear in the application drawer, even after reboot. any suggestions on what i might be doing wrong?

Hit the menu button, choose Switch System R/W and then R/W. Should allow you to rename them then.

ray7713#AC

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Hit the menu button, choose Switch System R/W and then R/W. Should allow you to rename them then.

i've switched to r/w and i have renamed the .apk's but those applications still show in the app drawer. I want to remove that bloatware, without deleting it, so i can update when available. i apologize if i am being unclear or not understanding. i am completely new to android and just rooted my phone last night. i am completely lost and confused and i could use all the help i can get. including step-by-step instructions on how to flash a new rom. i have been scavenging the forums and i cannot find step-by-step instructions for most of the confusing processes that go along with a rooted phone. also, when i flash a rom that is already in rom manager, how come i lose all my apps and settings even tho ive back them up? thanks in advance to anyone that can help

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I'd just move them to a folder on the sd card. Make sure you're in r/w mode, check the box beside each of the apps you want and then hit the Scissors icon on the bottom. Then go up two levels and go to your sdcard. Scroll the icons on the bottom and you should see a folder with a +. Enter a name and hit ok. Long press on the folder you created and choose paste.

ray7713#AC

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'd just move them to a folder on the sd card. Make sure you're in r/w mode, check the box beside each of the apps you want and then hit the Scissors icon on the bottom. Then go up two levels and go to your sdcard. Scroll the icons on the bottom and you should see a folder with a +. Enter a name and hit ok. Long press on the folder you created and choose paste.

thanks. this worked for moving the apps to the sd card. however, those apps still exist in the app drawer.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
CityID can be removed manually. Directions here. For blockbuster, go into Manage Applications and make sure it isn't under Running or All. If so open it and choose uninstall. Ignore the error and reboot.

ray7713#AC

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
CityID can be removed manually. Directions here. For blockbuster, go into Manage Applications and make sure it isn't under Running or All. If so open it and choose uninstall. Ignore the error and reboot.

thanks a lot. that worked great. i appreciate all the help. now if i could only figure out roms lol

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
First, I want to thank you for the time you've put into helping me learn this. I'm never content just copying and pasting codes and not understanding what they do. I've read through the script, but wanted to take the extra effort to move at least a few apps individually.

I had been using the chmod, but forgot to the last few times. I added it into the sequence, but still get the same error. See below:

c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
$ su
su
# /system/bin/chmod 777 /sdcard/Bloatware
/system/bin/chmod 777 /sdcard/Bloatware
# /system/xbin/busybox mv /system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk /sdcard/Bloatware/VZW_BitBop.apk.bak
/system/xbin/busybox mv /system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk /sdcard/Bloatware/VZW_BitBop.apk.bak
mv: can't rename '/system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk': No such file or directory

The BitBop app is still listed when I do a ls search.

So we have been through quite the journey... :p

Lets try this:
adb shell
su
which busybox (this will tell us busy is there and good)
busybox ls -lrt /system/app/VZW_* (did this to check permissions)
busybox chmod 777 /system/app/VZW_*
busybox ls -lrt /system/app/VZW_*
busybox chmod 777 /sdcard/disabled.apps
busybox mv -i /system/app/VZW_Bit* /sdcard/disabled.apps/
busybox ls -lrt /sdcard/disabled.apps/
mount -o remount,ro -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
exit
exit

So you can see it in action:

C:\Users\Desktop\Desktop\Zach Android\Zach Root>adb shell
$ su
su
# which busybox
which busybox
/system/xbin/busybox
# busybox ls -lrt /system/app
busybox ls -lrt /system/app
..... (i shortened this part)
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 56312 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mHtcFeedback.odex←[0m
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 2824 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mHtcCopyright.odex←[0m
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 7120 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mHtcConnectedMedia.odex←[0m
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 16848 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mHtcCdmaMccProvider.odex←[0m
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 281040 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mHTCSetupWizard.odex←[0m
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 262288 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mFlickr.odex←[0m
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 43928 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mFlashlight.odex←[0m
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 13672 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mDefaultContainerService.odex←[0m
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 7800 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mCustomizationSettingsProvider.odex←[0m
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 836912 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mContactsProvider.odex←[0m
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 87552 Feb 26 14:55 ←[0;0mClicker.odex←[0m
# busybox chmod 777 /system/app/VZW_*
busybox chmod 777 /system/app/VZW_*
# busybox ls -lrt /system/app/VZW_*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 1000 1015 2580095 Feb 26 14:55 ←[1;32m/system/app/VZW_BitBop.apk←[0m
-rwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 137411108 Feb 26 14:55 ←[1;32m/system/app/VZW_Golf.apk←[0m
-rwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 28683 Feb 26 14:55 ←[1;32m/system/app/VZW_RockbandStub.apk←[0m
# busybox chmod 777 /sdcard/disabled.apps
busybox chmod 777 /sdcard/disabled.apps
# busybox mv -i /system/app/VZW_Bit* /sdcard/disabled.apps/
busybox mv -i /system/app/VZW_Bit* /sdcard/disabled.apps/
# busybox ls -lrt /sdcard/disabled.apps/
busybox ls -lrt /sdcard/disabled.apps/
total 7936
----rwxr-x 1 1000 1015 2580095 Feb 26 14:55 ←[1;32mVZW_BitBop.apk←[0m
----rwxr-x 1 1000 1015 5505609 Feb 26 14:55 ←[1;32mVZW_Rhapsody.apk.bak←[0m
# busybox ls -lrt /system/app/VZW_*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 137411108 Feb 26 14:55 ←[1;32m/system/app/VZW_Golf.apk←[0m
-rwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 28683 Feb 26 14:55 ←[1;32m/system/app/VZW_RockbandStub.apk←[0m

Note:
I did forget to name it ".bak"... for that:
busybox mv -i /sdcard/disabled.apps/<file name>.apk /sdcard/disabled.apps/<file name>.apk.bak

Other note:
My version of "Bloatware" is "disabled.apps"

WIN???

failsafe

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Any input on these (force closes or breaking other apps):

TuneWiki
SlackerRadio
VCast Media
Flickr
HTCFootprints
HTCMIM
NewBayVault_4.2.96.VZMarket

Also I noticed the following starting up at boot even after Blockbuster was moved:

PVMtpServiceStart
PVMmdrmService

I have moved them (apk and odex) and haven't had any issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze