cant connect to adb- am i doing something wrong?

Rickbubello

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Dont know if I am doing something wrong here but my phone isnt showing up under ADB under device manager and under CMD I cannot access "adb devices", I would like to root my thunderbolt but I cant tell if I have the right drivers installed.

I downloaded htc sync from one of the links listed, but I used to downloading ADK dev drives etc... but dont have those on my computer right now. Any links would be helpful as I would like to connect this phone properly and root it so i can remove the crapware that verizon has put on it. Thank you very much

Rickbubello

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
yes, still wont connect to adb devices, is there a specific driver that i should download for windows 7 x64? thanks guys im just a little frustrated

Rickbubello

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
can anyone help, i installed the android sdk i believe, downloaded the appropriate packages I think, let me know which drivers I need for adb because I never see it listed in device manager no matter what i do with windows 7 x64 thanks guys

abtxpress

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
When rooting I believe you need to delete HTC sync from your computer. It causes a conflict. USB debugging on.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like you haven't added it to your system path as it isn't seeing the command. You need to either add it or "cd" to where your android sdk folder is located and go into tools or platform-tools depending on which version you downloaded.

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Dont know if I am doing something wrong here but my phone isnt showing up under ADB under device manager and under CMD I cannot access "adb devices", I would like to root my thunderbolt but I cant tell if I have the right drivers installed.

I downloaded htc sync from one of the links listed, but I used to downloading ADK dev drives etc... but dont have those on my computer right now. Any links would be helpful as I would like to connect this phone properly and root it so i can remove the crapware that verizon has put on it. Thank you very much

-Install the Android SDK.
-Add to your Environment Variable PATH the path to the "/platform-tools" directory in the Android SDK.
-Install HTC Sync.

adb is now available to you and your ThunderBolt will be detected.

fr34kasz0id

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am having a problem loading up the adb to connect to my HTC Thunderbolt.

C:\Users\Logan>%adb% devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

C:\Users\Logan>%adb% kill-server

I keep getting this over and over, never connecting. I am not sure if there is something with that lame ass partition that Verizon put on the phone or what, but i have been working on this for a couple of hours now. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Logan

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I myself added it to my path but still doesn't work unless i go down into the directory.

Also in step four of those directions it says to download usb driver, unless phone is HTC or so then you have to install the drivers for the phone via software from vendor.

tomskag

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I thought using adb on ubuntu would be easier; but after getting the program to run successfully I can't find my device.

After work I'm gonna try again. Should I use a windows machine? Is it easier?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Windows instructions for everyone who is having trouble above:

1) Install Android SDK
2) Add the "platform-tools" folder in the Android SDK to your PATH Environment Variable.

This will fix any "adb cannot be found" errors.

3) Install HTC Sync (this app includes drivers). After it installs the prerequisite drivers, you can cancel the setup if you don't want to use the Sync program itself.
4) Turn on USB Debugging Mode on your device (Settings->Applications->Development)
5) (Re)Plug-in your Thunderbolt.
6) Set the Thunderbolt to Charge-Only mode so that you can access the sdcard via adb (Disk Mode does not let you do this) and so that HTC Sync doesn't bother you (which HTC Sync mode will make sure happens).

This will fix any undetected T-Bolt issues. If the device still doesn't detect, restart your machine.

Please do exactly as stated above (I've followed this procedure multiple times in succession of different machines and it works just fine) before posting that something isn't working, else it becomes difficult to troubleshoot. If all else fails, uninstall all the HTC stuff from your computer, restart the machine, and start over from step #3.

Last edited:
Reactions: bipolarbear187

SamOliver

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I set the path variable and also installed the "google usb driver package", but my phone still does not show up when I type "adb devices". It just says "List of devices attached" with nothing below it. I think my problem may be that the first time I plugged in my phone to my computer it tried to install adb drivers or something and failed. Any help?

Edit: I restarted my computer a couple times, and now it shows up.

Last edited:

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm getting "offline" for my device.

Did you get it working? If not, try unplugging the device and plugging it back in. If that doesn't work, try restarting the phone and then plugging it back in. In my case, I had to uninstall ADB from device manager, reboot computer, plug the phone back in and let it reinstall the drivers.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance