I want to create a how-to guide

ChezDigital

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
With a plethora of experience in technical writing, it drives my OCD side bs crazy to not see a beginner-friendly guide (beginner to rooting/ROM-ing HTC androids, per say, not necessarily hacking devices in general) to perfecting this device (and others in which I've had interest, for that matter), which I also believe could be easily folded into other HTC Android devices (and with a bit of tweaking, other Android devices).

I know there are guides out there, but I foresee one that encompasses the timeline from rooting to ROMs, clarifying where the terms ClockWork, ROMs, and kernels fit in. At each step along the way, I will clarify these items: what you need to know, what state this leaves your device in, your choices, how to revert, and why you might proceed to the next stage.

All of that said, who wants to be a subject-matter expert to spill your knowledge in this direction? Two or three would be preferred, for the sake of checks and balances. We'll start at a high-level, then expand on each area in detail, with nested indentations, bolded headings, and helpful unambiguous links where necessary. In the end, I promise a procedural guide that anyone who can follow directions can successfully complete without asking one question (if they so desire).

Estimate time of completion: 7-10 days from project launch, which can be today or tomorrow if I get a SME onboard today.

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
the problem is that its not always the same process for every android phone. each can have a potentially different process to root and load roms.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Every phones forum on AC has a "how to guide" for rooting. The Thunderbolt is still new and being worked on. Once we have some solid root methods, there will be "how to guides" stickied to the top of the page.

Reactions: retep

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
With a plethora of experience in technical writing, it drives my OCD side bs crazy to not see a beginner-friendly guide (beginner to rooting/ROM-ing HTC androids, per say, not necessarily hacking devices in general) to perfecting this device (and others in which I've had interest, for that matter), which I also believe could be easily folded into other HTC Android devices (and with a bit of tweaking, other Android devices).

I know there are guides out there, but I foresee one that encompasses the timeline from rooting to ROMs, clarifying where the terms ClockWork, ROMs, and kernels fit in. At each step along the way, I will clarify these items: what you need to know, what state this leaves your device in, your choices, how to revert, and why you might proceed to the next stage.

All of that said, who wants to be a subject-matter expert to spill your knowledge in this direction? Two or three would be preferred, for the sake of checks and balances. We'll start at a high-level, then expand on each area in detail, with nested indentations, bolded headings, and helpful unambiguous links where necessary. In the end, I promise a procedural guide that anyone who can follow directions can successfully complete without asking one question (if they so desire).

Estimate time of completion: 7-10 days from project launch, which can be today or tomorrow if I get a SME onboard today.

I'm onboard with ya! i'm currently working through all the XDA guides that are out there.... parsing through their data is a little ridiculous (simply because of the massive amount of information).

So I know you are looking for a SME (which is not me on ROM building), but I do know a little about a lot of things and will help with research and filler/"for idiot's" guide".

Let me know.

ChezDigital

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
the problem is that its not always the same process for every android phone. each can have a potentially different process to root and load roms.

Hence this:

could be easily folded into other HTC Android devices (and with a bit of tweaking, other Android devices).

Every phones forum on AC has a "how to guide" for rooting. The Thunderbolt is still new and being worked on. Once we have some solid root methods, there will be "how to guides" stickied to the top of the page.

I do realize that, but those are shoddy at best. If you're an expert such as yourself, your mind can fill in the gaps that those possess -- take the D-Inc guide for example. But for someone wet-behind-the-ears to this knowledge, the existing guides do not provide a path to any sort of serenity.

So I know you are looking for a SME (which is not me on ROM building), but I do know a little about a lot of things and will help with research and filler/"for idiot's" guide".

If you ever do stir a guide, which would be totally cool by me, ill help out with the knowledge :p

Excellent. Would you both care to PM me your e-mail adresses?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I do realize that, but those are shoddy at best.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but a lot of people put a lot of effort into them, so that comment isn't appreciated. In fact, I would argue that we have some of the best on the internet. Accuracy, formatting, too much vs too little, and ongoing maintenance are also things that we focus on.

ChezDigital

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry you feel that way, but a lot of people put a lot of effort into them, so that comment isn't appreciated. In fact, I would argue that we have some of the best on the internet. Accuracy, formatting, too much vs too little, and ongoing maintenance are also things that we focus on.

Cory, I didn't mean for that to come off as so extreme. But where that's coming from is someone who is deep in technology and has quite a bit of experience formatting the drives and OS' of PCs and Blackberrys, but not with Androids on that level.

While there is a lot of valuable information in those guides -- and I would certainly request the use of that content from the authors with the inclusion of credits -- they leave a lot of open-ended questions to someone without the base knowledge of already knowing how to perform these tasks for other Android devices.

I could absolutely answer those questions on my own and become an expert at rooting, flashing ROMs and implementing MODs, as many do on their own before embarking upon those tasks. But I believe I could do this community a services by documenting that journey in a fashion that could avoid the guesswork for many in the future.

I would not look to divert attention from those guides, as I know they are very valuable to this community, but rather build a foundation to use that material for someone who doesn't already have it -- a foundation which those guides require.

My guide would start in the general sense, that woud apply to every Android phone, and then detailed, which would be edited for each device as necessary.

Does that soften the image of my stance? I'm just looking to fill a gap between where I am today and where I will be in few weeks, and allowing others to benefit in the process.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Anything you put together would be wonderful.

I just know first hand how much time and effort the mods and Advisers have put into these guides. So, normally I would take this conversation to a PM, but I guess I get a little defensive when words like shoddy are used to describe their work. I know several of them, including myself that have stayed up all night writing some of this stuff. And once you put up some of your work, I will defend it as well.

We all have different approaches to how we write things.

Anyway here are just a few examples of what various people have done:

Android Central Dictionary

http://forum.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/59496-guide-rom-manager-clockwork-mod-effective-way-when-flashing-custom-roms.html]Flashing custom ROM'S

Flashing Froyo.

Rooting using a Mac

Returning to Stock, removing bloat, other cool stuff

Android Getting Started

All about Root

Unrooting your Incredible

Personally I write things for those that just want simple step-by-step instructions to get from point A to point B. Others write in more detail. We all have different ways of presenting information, and I look forward to seeing yours as well.

Anything beyond this, please shoot me a PM.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I haven't looked at the other forums but DroidXcon did a great job with the flashing guides for the Fascinate. Wouldn't be surprised if his all-in-one odin methods weren't single handedly responsible for most people who are on Froyo.

Reactions: igotsanevo4g

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I can see were the OP is coming from. When I first rooted my phone I read several posts, some of which left out information or were not clear. I was able to piece the missing info from several posts and answer my questions. Technical writing is an art form and if done well can be a tremendous help for the faint of heart. I for one, am happy that you are willing to take this on. Good luck!!!!!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Just shoot me a PM as im on here enough as it is, i dunno if ill be writing any of it but id be more than happy to double check your guide for accuracy, and answer any questions/concerns/anything really haha.

I haven't looked at the other forums but DroidXcon did a great job with the flashing guides for the Fascinate. Wouldn't be surprised if his all-in-one odin methods weren't single handedly responsible for most people who are on Froyo.

I do agree, he has added a lot to these forums. Great guy too.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys, i am all for guides and how to threads, i dont like to wait for others to do it up.

If any of you would like to make a guide please feel free igotsanevo is awesome and can def help and if you need me to help out aswell i would be more than happy to help. We are a community of people with a common interest so we love to see everyone take initiative and work together.

Now lets hold hands and sing Kumbaya O:) , lol

ChezDigital

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Just shoot me a PM as im on here enough as it is, i dunno if ill be writing any of it but id be more than happy to double check your guide for accuracy, and answer any questions/concerns/anything really haha.

I do agree, he has added a lot to these forums. Great guy too.

Thanks guys, i am all for guides and how to threads, i dont like to wait for others to do it up.

If any of you would like to make a guide please feel free igotsanevo is awesome and can def help and if you need me to help out aswell i would be more than happy to help. We are a community of people with a common interest so we love to see everyone take initiative and work together.

Now lets hold hands and sing Kumbaya O:) , lol

Thanks to both of you! I started writing my framework today...and since I'm a novice at Android work, I have a couple minor gaps that could use some direction, so I'll shoot a couple PMs out tomorrow. If any of you SMEs would be kind enough to contribute 5 minutes of phone time, it could probably avoid a 2-3 day PM exchange, but whatever is easiest -- I promise it will be painless on any level.

And Droid, I read over your Fascinate content after the post above. Very nice work, and thanks so much for offering your advice, as it will absolutely be beneficial.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah just let us know I'm game and im sure igotsanevo is aswell
Thanks to both of you! I started writing my framework today...and since I'm a novice at Android work, I have a couple minor gaps that could use some direction, so I'll shoot a couple PMs out tomorrow. If any of you SMEs would be kind enough to contribute 5 minutes of phone time, it could probably avoid a 2-3 day PM exchange, but whatever is easiest -- I promise it will be painless on any level.

And Droid, I read over your Fascinate content after the post above. Very nice work, and thanks so much for offering your advice, as it will absolutely be beneficial.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

just pm'd you. I am having success using kitchen for rom'ing. I, like you, is starting from scratch on this subject. So anything I do, I write down so i don't forget.

I highly suggest, like the people at xda suggested to me, we start the rom tutorial stuff with kitchen.

envirosciguy

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Love this. I'm coming over from Windows Mobile and did a lot of tweaking of my phone including flashing ROMs, and the directions while helpful, always either assume you know something that you don't, or are off just a bit to make you guess the next step, etc (not trying to take anything away from others that put guides together). So having a technical writer tackling a beginners guide to rooting, etc would be great. Thanks in advance.

sisaacs

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Would really appreciate something like this. For a newbie girl like myself who is scarred to brick her phone. I know next to nothing about half the stuff you guys are talking about but would love to get rid of all the crap Verizon loads on to this phone. Simple step by step instructions ( dummy proof) would be most appreciated! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan