Easy Root (Windows only)

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you from expierence that these "easy root" and "1click bricks" are bad for the thunderbolt. i've spent hours on IRC fixing what these methods have done to peoples tbolts. jcase makes a really easy how to over at xda. i don't have the link at the moment, but head over to the tbolt section on xda. just pay ATTENTION to how the "how too" is written and follow the directions. its a long process but its actually easier. i say this bc if you mess up, we can fix the problem faster then guessing where the easy method screwed up at. if you have any problems, come to irc #thunderbolt and look me up and i can help. thanks

twindragons187

rmoffitt321

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
A few bugs but not too difficult

Following the XDA method wasn't too horrible. I liked that his program did all the real work so as to make sure I didn't mistype any commands. I had a little trouble at first getting my Thunderbolt to come up on the device list but his trouble shooting guide told me to try installing HTC sync and that fixed it for me. I also got the error message saying to contact someone on IRC but it was before I got the hash so I simply retried step 2 (like he told us to in the trouble shooting guide) and things went fine. The last problem I had was trying to push SU and Rom Manager to my phone after I essentially had root. But again following his trouble shooting guide I rebooted the phone a few times and after uninstalling the files and clicking step 3 again eventually they pushed and my Thunderbolt started asking for root rights. I did have to reboot about 7 times total but some of that might have been due to the apk files not pushing correctly the first time or two.

I stripped all the Verizon Bloatware and did a good Titanium Backup and I feel like I'm back in control again.

I'm sure the one click option is around the corner but for anyone who is intimidated by the idea of rooting I'll tell you that the XDA method is really not that technical. I manually rooted my old Droid 1 and this was 10 times less technical.

Hope this helps.

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you from expierence that these "easy root" and "1click bricks" are bad for the thunderbolt. i've spent hours on IRC fixing what these methods have done to peoples tbolts. jcase makes a really easy how to over at xda. i don't have the link at the moment, but head over to the tbolt section on xda. just pay ATTENTION to how the "how too" is written and follow the directions. its a long process but its actually easier. i say this bc if you mess up, we can fix the problem faster then guessing where the easy method screwed up at. if you have any problems, come to irc #thunderbolt and look me up and i can help. thanks

twindragons187
You wanna post a link? Goign over there where there is page afte page talking root, roms. for me gets a bit confusing as to what you suggest to follow..

Thank you!

annarbor

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If rooted, can you receive OTA Gingerbread update?

Hi all,
I've rooted both my Droid Eris and my Samsung Fascinate, but neither were slated to be updated to Gingerbread. I am holding off until I hear that rooting will not interfere with any official updates. Any feedback would be appreciated.

bthomp21

Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Great, now I got this: "ERROR! Contact someone at chat.andirc.net in channel #thunderbolt. DO NOT REBOOT.Choose the bootloader option and press POWER. Allow the firmware to flash by pressing VOLUME UP. When finished please reboot into Android as you will have S-OFF.

Again, after rebooting turn USB Debugging back on and unplug your phone and plug it in again."

And this:
179fb62b.jpg

Where do I go from here? :(

if you have the .zip file on your sdcard, find a way to get to your sd card (memory card reader, another phone) delete it and then reboot the phone..

Goofypook

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I get the following message when using Easy root. I plug in my phone and hit step 1. Not sure if Im missing something, but anyone no what I do from here?

Choose the bootloader option and press POWER. Let the ROM flash. When asked to upgrade, choose yes (Press VOLUME UP). This will take a while and your device may reboot, allow it to happen. You will be presented with a screen saying you device is updating.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I get the following message when using Easy root. I plug in my phone and hit step 1. Not sure if Im missing something, but anyone no what I do from here?

Choose the bootloader option and press POWER. Let the ROM flash. When asked to upgrade, choose yes (Press VOLUME UP). This will take a while and your device may reboot, allow it to happen. You will be presented with a screen saying you device is updating.

That is the message you should get, before that message comes up it should say something about locating your device and should list it. It may take up to 10 minutes before you notice anything because its pushing large files to your phone. If your getting nothing make sure you HTC sync installed on your pc which you can get at HTC.com.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,
I've rooted both my Droid Eris and my Samsung Fascinate, but neither were slated to be updated to Gingerbread. I am holding off until I hear that rooting will not interfere with any official updates. Any feedback would be appreciated.

If your rooted someone will have a Gingerbread ROM running way before the official on is out. And IMO the ROM will be much better then the official version.

Goofypook

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Thank you! Im on to the next step, and Im currently doing step two and it says...

* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
HT12BS007149 device

6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb /data/local/hbooteng.nb0

Flashing hbooteng.nb0

Phone isnt doing anything, should it be, and how long does this part take?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
For me each step lasted about 10 - 15 minutes to complete if it didn't lock up. If it goes past 15 minutes and nothing happens cycle power on the phone I had to do this a few times in each step and restarted my pc once in step 2.

Make sure after each step you enable USB debugging.

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
the easy roots work sometime, but if they mess up, there's no way to find where it went wrong. best to put the commands in yourself. plus you learn something.

3coup3

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in freeing my Thunderbolt as much as possible (including eventual root) but I'm new to Android and I'd like to break in my device and do a shakedown for a few weeks to make sure I didn't get a lemon.

I have a couple of general questions:
*When does USB-enabled tweaking become "hacking"? (Probably when it has the potential to cost HTC/Verizon money.)
*At what point do you void the warranty? (And can you badger customer service into overlooking slight tweaks?)
*In principle, is it possible to reset the phone to its factory settings so that Verizon/HTC are none the wiser? I expect it is too soon to find a guide for this yet.

I keep seeing references to firmware. I "flashed" the firmware in a DVD drive a few years ago...I was warned that it was one-way process. It was...and it didn't end well. Are "roots" one way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol