Root help for dummies/newbies

ray7713#AC

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably going to get killed for this but here goes. I jumped from blackberry to android the day the thunderbolt game. Ever since I've been scouring the android central forums trying to make sense of all this. I recently was able to use the one-click method to root my phone and it's lead me to get all of 3 hours of sleep in the last 36 hours. I was all of the forums looking for help. Trying to figure out how to remove bloatware, figure out what went wrong with my backup that caused me to lose all my apps and settings, figure out what to do once I was rooted and try to figure out roms. After 36 hours plus, I'm more confused then when I started. I searched the forums and did my best to understand and learn. From all the reading I did it sounds like many an android cherry was taken by the thunderbolt. I was hoping to create this thread in order to allow the android brain trust of this community to offer step-by-step instructions and explanations on removing bloatware, flashing roms, and anything else a newbie might need to know about using a rooted android thunderbolt. There are many different explanations of these things throughout the forums but none geared towards the newcomers. I have a rooted thunderbolt and a bunch a different apps that I have no idea how to use. Any help or contributions would be greatly appreciated by me, and probably dozens of others. As always thanks in advance to anyone who can help or contribute. Feel free to personal message me or contact me via twitter if it's easier (@ray7713). Thanks again.

scassel

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Welcome.

There are tons of "How To" threads stickied at the top of the pages. I am confident that you will find everything you are looking for in these threads. Sometimes it does require reading many pages but there is no better way to learn.

Good luck.

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
The best app to remove bloat and to backup your apps and app settings is titanium backup in the market. Just open titanium, scroll through the list and tap on the bloat and select uninstall. Or tap, select backup to backup the app and settings. These backups are saved to the sd card so you won't lose them when you install different roms. To restore them, just tap and select restore app and data and you're good to go.

ray7713#AC

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Welcome.

There are tons of "How To" threads stickied at the top of the pages. I am confident that you will find everything you are looking for in these threads. Sometimes it does require reading many pages but there is no better way to learn.

Good luck.

I have read all the stickied threads. None of them give detailed instructions or a step-by-step guide. They all say things like use clockwork, use boot loader, etc. But they do not explain how to do so for us rookies. Those other stickies are for regular users. The idea of this thread was a post-root guide for rookies.

ray7713#AC

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

I have already successfully rooted the phone using the one-click. I guess my question is do I have to root every time I try a different rom? It may be a dumb question but like I've said, it's only been a few weeks on android for me and I'm no technical wiz so this is all foreign to me. Thanks for responding.

jgang06

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys I have a quick question:

I was going to root my phone tonight and wanted to know if you guys suggest backing up the phone before doing this. What do you suggesting using?

Also, during root I am going to have to totally restore my phone, right?

Thanks.

TeckSupport05

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Another stupid question, don't mean to HiJack the thread, but if I root my phone, will I lose pushed upgrades? EG - If 2.3 comes out for the TB, will I lose the push notification to upgrade (like on the Xoom)?

scassel

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I have a quick question:

I was going to root my phone tonight and wanted to know if you guys suggest backing up the phone before doing this. What do you suggesting using?

Also, during root I am going to have to totally restore my phone, right?

Thanks.

You can back up your apps...

Google

I have never bothered until I was rooted and then I use Titanium.

Yes, the current root method will wipe your phone.

Good Luck

scassel

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Another stupid question, don't mean to HiJack the thread, but if I root my phone, will I lose pushed upgrades? EG - If 2.3 comes out for the TB, will I lose the push notification to upgrade (like on the Xoom)?

I believe the answer is that you will receive the notification but if you update, you will lose your root. IMHO, the developers will have better things out there long before any update from VZW. Once you have a custom ROM loaded, you will forget all about the stock updates :D

Good Luck

TeckSupport05

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I believe the answer is that you will receive the notification but if you update, you will lose your root. IMHO, the developers will have better things out there long before any update from VZW. Once you have a custom ROM loaded, you will forget all about the stock updates :D

Good Luck

I figured that, I just would root it for now to get rid of bloatware. I understand the concept behind custom roms, but I haven't mastered it. I had it by accident on my Dinc, but couldnt figure out how to put it back to stock

squane123

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Stuck at Bootloader cant go further!!!

Ok, I have gotten to the Bootloader screen, hit the power button and it shows the process of looking at the SD card. After that it never moves to the option to Update, to be honest I dont know if it ever checks "pd05img.zip" correctly. Everything up to this point matches up correctly. Anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong. Could I be downloading the wrong "PG05IMG_downgrade.zip". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :-[

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678