Now that I'm rooted can I use Mobile Hotspot and not be charged?

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
This was posted on twitter from the great panda..So heads up

@smcdo123: @black_man_x care to comment on vzw checking if you are tethering illegally?

@black_man_x: @smcdo123 already did.... yes we can see it and yes you will be caught.. has it started? not yet.. let ATT be the first.. we will follow

its all a lie this all started by a dev that was charging people for this. and now his under investigation

if they really wanna stop this all they have to do is remove the app from the market

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
its all a lie this all started by a dev that was charging people for this. and now his under investigation

if they really wanna stop this all they have to do is remove the app from the market

You know that's going to stop nothing. Any apk can be found on a file sharing site within 30 seconds. And Verizon doesn't own the marketplace.

If people don't abuse tether then vzw will continue to turn a blind eye. Sadly that won't happen since there are people puling super data numbersmy tethering their ps3, laptop, Netflix, and all their friend's devices.

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
No, but that just sucks your battery unless you're connecting multiple computers.

I don't use tethering for connecting multiple computers all the time, just occasional and mostly for emergency use, so it won't kill my phone battery that much.

I hate to bring cable for tethering and it's very quick just to do it on WiFi. On..off.. done.

bthomp21

Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
This was posted on twitter from the great panda..So heads up

@smcdo123: @black_man_x care to comment on vzw checking if you are tethering illegally?

@black_man_x: @smcdo123 already did.... yes we can see it and yes you will be caught.. has it started? not yet.. let ATT be the first.. we will follow

that is such bs. they are just trying to scare people.

techiegirl

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently still using the free hotspot, but am thinking of rooting my phone to use wifi tether when the free promo is over. Is there a difference in speed/reliability between wifi tether and the hotspot?

ktez

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
See, for me the only reason I don't want to pay a monthly fee for Mobile Hotspot is because I might use it once or twice a year, if that. The only time I need is if I go somewhere for a weekend that doesn't have wifi and I need to do some school work online. Last year, I think I used the free tether with my previous phone twice, maybe an hour total. I don't think I should have to pay a fee every month for that. Most school stuff I can do right on my phone, I just need the laptop to submit Word docs.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Might want to watch using the Mobile spot because Verizon is starting to flag accounts for this... They getting a bit touchy about this especially because it has been reported that 4G uses twice the data compared to 3g...

This wouldn't be a issue if so many users has got greedy and has been using this option like its a home connections, there has been some reporting using 100 and more gigs in a month... With 4G active I can see this climbing fast. Just because they haven't done anything yet does not mean they wont. I really see it coming.

bthomp21

Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
they would lose more money if they "flagged" accounts for a 20 dollar service

100+ dollar bills and not collect 20 bucks or cancel accounts, come on now. its easy to see nothing is going to happen.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
There's are people claiming 90GB in a weekend.

Verizon in some way or another is going to shut something down; abusing a free ride is stupid.

Sniperet

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is a business and they sell a Broadband Connect product specifically for people who want to access their network using a computer. Why would any of you think they should forego that business opportunity just because you purchased a data plan for your phone, computer access and phone access represent very different loads on their system and they charge accordingly, they have for years. We went thru the same thing when Verizon set up their 3G network, they took various actions to force people to subscribe to their service. This included flagging accounts for excess usage and integrating OS changes to block unauthorized tethering. Been there, done that on Windows and Blackberry phones now my position is pay for what you get, don't steal it. I have been paying Verizon $15 extra for broadband connect for years which is a good value. In the past they have always priced the tethering fees so that when added to your phone data plan it would equal what a computer user pays them which has been $60, don't know what the 4G price will be.

syu78

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I am considering rooting my TB so I can use wireless tether on it to connect my Xoom. I've read that wireless tether on some phones only broadcast in ad-hoc, which the Xoom doesn't recognize. Does anyone know if wireless tether on the TB broadcasts in ad-hoc or infrastructure?

JoseGutierrez

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Wireless tether generates a true hotspot and not just an ad-hoc network which is great for Kindle owners.

Wireless tether works great on rooted Tbolt on stock rom. Got 17Mbps down on four bars of 4G in downtown San Diego. Awesome because it's a free app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci