Functionality and Customization of flashed ROMs

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I've never flashed a custom ROM (other than the rooting process, which barely counts). I know they're out there and available, as well as that it's a fairly easy process. That isn't what's holding me back, however.

My concern is the customization OF the custom ROM. I really like Sense 2.0 up to this point, and don't want to change much, but there are a few non-important things that's I'd love to see changed (mainly aesthetics).

I'll give some simple examples (mostly fictional, just making this simpler), but Idk if they'll relate directly or not; just roll with it hypothetically.

- I love the Sense flip clock widget. Say I DL'd a ROM called, idk, let's call it TBromONE. If this ROM doesn't by default, use the HTC Sense flip clock widget, will I still be able to access that widget? Or will it be unusable, because it's saved to only the stock ROM, and not TBromONE?

Actually, screw the (bad) examples, I'll just ask questions.

1. Can I still keep all the widgets and stuff that I like from Stock Sense, or will the ones that the developer chose to leave out of his/her ROM just not exist for me anymore while that ROM is flashed?
- Sub Q ~ If things are just "gone" after installing custom ROMs, can I avoid their disappearances by simply moving them to my SD card, and then BACK to the phone after flashing?

2. Do ROMs customize what is already there, covering up what you don't want, or does flashing one just replace it completely? Again, I'll use the flip clock as an example: will a ROM overwrite the flip clock file to make it appear/function differently, or will it simply provide an alternative, while keeping the stock Flip Clock at the same time?

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I've never flashed a custom ROM (other than the rooting process, which barely counts). I know they're out there and available, as well as that it's a fairly easy process. That isn't what's holding me back, however.

My concern is the customization OF the custom ROM. I really like Sense 2.0 up to this point, and don't want to change much, but there are a few non-important things that's I'd love to see changed (mainly aesthetics).

I'll give some simple examples (mostly fictional, just making this simpler), but Idk if they'll relate directly or not; just roll with it hypothetically.

- I love the Sense flip clock widget. Say I DL'd a ROM called, idk, let's call it TBromONE. If this ROM doesn't by default, use the HTC Sense flip clock widget, will I still be able to access that widget? Or will it be unusable, because it's saved to only the stock ROM, and not TBromONE?

Actually, screw the (bad) examples, I'll just ask questions.

1. Can I still keep all the widgets and stuff that I like from Stock Sense, or will the ones that the developer chose to leave out of his/her ROM just not exist for me anymore while that ROM is flashed?
- Sub Q ~ If things are just "gone" after installing custom ROMs, can I avoid their disappearances by simply moving them to my SD card, and then BACK to the phone after flashing?

2. Do ROMs customize what is already there, covering up what you don't want, or does flashing one just replace it completely? Again, I'll use the flip clock as an example: will a ROM overwrite the flip clock file to make it appear/function differently, or will it simply provide an alternative, while keeping the stock Flip Clock at the same time?

Tbolt I just went through flashign a ROM. It wasn't as painful as I thought.

As far as Sense goes, if it's in the ROM, then yes you could bring back a apk, unless they have change a resource file that wont allow it to work anymore.

If they have Sense ripped out, which some do, then no you can't just bring back a apk. The ROm won't have the Rosie.asp most likely as that appears to be a key componant of Sense.

As far is lets say for example, they choose to leave out Blockbuster.apk, you could bring it back. However once again I thinkif they strip out some need coding in a resource file it wont work.

I just did the Virus ROm, and man oh man. Wow it is wonderful. Still has Sense and .. waitr for it...

Horizontal Home Screen.... This thing is gorgeous....

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Tbolt I just went through flashign a ROM. It wasn't as painful as I thought.

As far as Sense goes, if it's in the ROM, then yes you could bring back a apk, unless they have change a resource file that wont allow it to work anymore.

If they have Sense ripped out, which some do, then no you can't just bring back a apk. The ROm won't have the Rosie.asp most likely as that appears to be a key componant of Sense.

As far is lets say for example, they choose to leave out Blockbuster.apk, you could bring it back. However once again I thinkif they strip out some need coding in a resource file it wont work.

I just did the Virus ROm, and man oh man. Wow it is wonderful. Still has Sense and .. waitr for it...

Horizontal Home Screen.... This thing is gorgeous....

I'll give it a try. Worst case scenario, I just load my backup, lol.

And it's not that I'm scared of the difficulty or anything, I just want simple things that *I* personally like a lot, to not be lost, ya know? And as long as I keep myself from knowing other good things, I won't have to make any trade-offs ;) You know what they say: "Ignorance is bliss!" Haha

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I can't put mine down. So many more setting and control over this. I keep changing setting.. of course eatignup my battery, playing with all the fancy stuff on it to. I see a few things I want changed..

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't put mine down. So many more setting and control over this. I keep changing setting.. of course eatignup my battery, playing with all the fancy stuff on it to. I see a few things I want changed..

I haven't done it yet, stop taunting me ass! >:O Lol

No, I'll probably wait until tomorrow to flash though. Huge exam tomorrow that I need to study for one last time, and work in the morning before that... I should NOT be giving myself that easy of a distraction lol.