Kernels and Roms

troo53

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am somewhat of a noob and I have searched but I haven't gotten my clear answer yet.

I Know the ROM is like the Operating system and the Kernel is what is behind it...

Are the ROM and the Kernel 2 separate files? If I go and flash a rom that has the kernel with it do I need to do anything else?

What if for say I wanted to flash Virus ROM and then install a different kernel. Do I just install any kernel that I want?

Going back to stock... how do I get back to the stock kernel? If I just hit recover and restore my "stock backup" will the kernel I installed get wiped off and it will automatically revert back to the stock kernel?

How do I know which kernel is right for me? I know there are a bunch already for the T bolt but how do I know which one works the best without trying all of them? Why not just have 1 kernel for everyone that does everything well?

Hopefully someone can shed some light on my noobness.

Thanks!

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
You are correct on the description of a rom and kernel. They are 2 separate files but every rom has a kernel installed with it. You can change the kernel but you need to make sure that the kernel is designed for the rom you are running. Most kernel devs will state the roms that have worked with their specific kernel.

Keep in mind that although all thunderbolts are the same exact device, some internel parts (chips) don't react the same way on all devices. Some processor may overclock to >1.5 ghz while others might not be able to go past 1.5. Always make a nandroid back up before flashing a new kernel.

In order to get the stock kernel back you must find the kernel that was installed with the rom (usually the rom dev will link to it) and flash it.

1 kernel for every device would be nice but impossible due to what each kernel can do and there must be a specific kernel for each version of Android. You would not have a lot of success if you were to flash a sense kernel on a CyanogenMod Rom. Some kernels are undervolted to save battery life as well as doesn't put too much stress on the processor. Some have the Smart A** governor which will allow you to your device at it's peak state while active but drop down to the lowest clock speed when sleeping (in order to save battery life).

Reactions: Smittyn804

troo53

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So if I flash a rom and then flash a kernel... In order to revert to stock I need to restore to the Stock Rom... and then restore the stock kernel essentially "downgrading"?

What if the kernel isn't meant for my phone? If you overclock past what the phone can handle can you fry your phone? I've come from the jailbreaking world of iPhone so flashing is a whole new world to me. I'm pondering waiting for the final versions of these roms and kernels to come out so I don't have to constantly flash and deflash etc... or is that all the fun?

Do the roms and kernels ever finally stop getting updated or is it just constant development?

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
If you flash a kernel and a day or two later your phone gets choppy and unusable, then going back to stock really isn't a downgrade, is it?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
So if I flash a rom and then flash a kernel... In order to revert to stock I need to restore to the Stock Rom... and then restore the stock kernel essentially "downgrading"?

What if the kernel isn't meant for my phone? If you overclock past what the phone can handle can you fry your phone? I've come from the jailbreaking world of iPhone so flashing is a whole new world to me. I'm pondering waiting for the final versions of these roms and kernels to come out so I don't have to constantly flash and deflash etc... or is that all the fun?

Do the roms and kernels ever finally stop getting updated or is it just constant development?

You do not have to flash the rom over again if the kernel is provided as well by itself.

If your device is not working cohesively with the kernel your phone will most likely reboot and then boot-loop. Can you fry your device (more so you processor)? Sure but that is only if it overheats and you push it passed what it can handle.

I always flash different roms and kernels. It's what makes owning an android device fun (well a big part of it haha). They are always in development for the most part and will see upgrades if the dev continues to develop for it.

troo53

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded the 1.9 kernel from Adrenylne in the Mr Borowitz thing on rom manager. I then installed it... how do I check to see that it is in fact installed?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol